"Closely related occupation": copywriter and editor?

usherer

If your day to day duties match as an editor, you have the relevant qualification for that job and your bosses will testify to this then you'll be fine. My husbands job title didn't match exactly but his daily duties did, and he could back that up.

hope iv helped a little.

Edited by Eng32

Thank you so much! I very much appreciate it - my agent who intially said it could be used, now says it can't, and the change took me by surprise.

My problem is, there's another category called "Copywriter". Could your husband's original job title have matched another category too?

thanks!!

It is a tricky field tbh, I think it goes case by case but your supposed to match what you do on a daily basis to the criteria that is stipulated for the skill. My Husbands was going for Electronics Engineer as this is what he did his degree in, but engineering crosses many roles at times and he was doing this and Control systems engineering/Team leader. As long as you have the proof and you job description, daily duties and your boss will testify to this, then usually that's all you need. Carefully select the one closet but only you will know what that is. It's tricky to be careful.

thanks for the quick response. I think I'll take the plunge. Am very glad for you that you made it already. Congrats!

If you dont mind, could you share your thoughts on this: I had worked at Company A for about 3 yrs as a Web Editor. My agent was confident that so long as I could prove this, I qualify for the occupation code as Editor. But I then found out that I couldn't use it as I was travelling extensively and didnt have valid work visa. So I decided to not use it. Now that my agent says I dont qualify now, I'm wondering: can I use PART of it? i.e. Say I worked for 3 years, but only want to claim 9months of it.

I'm rally not sure about that. It might be because you took a break and now you don't meet the length of time you need to be in that occupation immediately before applying. Something like 12 out of the last 24 months, unless that's changed. Maybe you should get a second opinion from another agent or double check the immi site too see if you can find the answer. Sorry I can't really advise.

Good luck