Advice for young electrician moving to Australia

Lewis92

Hi all, I'm in the early process of migrating to Australia, preferably looking to move to the sub-urbs of Melbourne.

I am looking to get some clear advice on the steps I need to take to be recognised over there as an electrician, employment prospects and general living.

I'm 21 years old, served a four year apprenticeship, along with a further year and a half experience, gained my C&G 2330 level 2+3, 17th edition, AM2, NVQ level 3 2356 and inspection and testing 2391.

I have extensive experience in all aspects of heavy industrial work and commercial work along with testing. I do also have moderate experience in agricultural and domestic work.

I am also a JIB graded installation electrician (soon to be upgraded to approved electrician),- I already appreciate that a lot of people say none of my qualifications are recognised over there, but surely Electrical contractors over there can appreciate English equivalents along with written references, even my NVQ log book as evidence?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Lewis.

UK qualifications here mean nothing, You will need to apply for an ARTC if you are going on a holiday visa or an OSTR with Vetassess if you are applying to be a permanent resident, but you may fall short of experience 7 years in total I believe. Once you have either of those you can apply for a provisional license and begin your 1 year gap training. NOBODY will employ you without a license of some sort and it can be very hard to get a job to complete the gap training. The gap training varies from state to state but I would say it cost me close to $10K when i count lost earnings to attend college.

• 1 month later...

Colin,

the 7 years experience is only for people who have not severed an apprenticeship however with his current quals he only needs 2 years experience these days.

UK qualifications here mean nothing, You will need to apply for an ARTC if you are going on a holiday visa or an OSTR with Vetassess if you are applying to be a permanent resident, but you may fall short of experience 7 years in total I believe. Once you have either of those you can apply for a provisional license and begin your 1 year gap training. NOBODY will employ you without a license of some sort and it can be very hard to get a job to complete the gap training. The gap training varies from state to state but I would say it cost me close to $10K when i count lost earnings to attend college.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies, I've read on various forums it is pointless going through vetassess to gain the A class license, are there any English electricians who have moved to Australia who can advise me on a clear cut route to gain this? There seems to be a lot of confusion across forums and different ways to gain the license. I've read that the JIB is recognised in Australia? Is this at all true?

Thanks,

Lewis

Thanks for the replies, I've read on various forums it is pointless going through vetassess to gain the A class license, are there any English electricians who have moved to Australia who can advise me on a clear cut route to gain this? There seems to be a lot of confusion across forums and different ways to gain the license. I've read that the JIB is recognised in Australia? Is this at all true?

Thanks,

Lewis

It should be as our standard is 100 times higher but it isn't