Don't know where to begin -spouse visa + child

Hendries

Hi folks, first time on forum.

i'm an Australian citizen through birth, and hoping to move out with wife and young child at some point next year.

about to apply for spouse visa, but not sure about my young son. Do we apply for him as an additional person to this application.

alternatively I was wondering if it is a better option to apply for his Australian citizenship and subsequent passport. Although have seen this can take up to 14 months?!

Really don't know where to begin, so much conflicting info

Hi folks, first time on forum.

i'm an Australian citizen through birth, and hoping to move out with wife and young child at some point next year.

about to apply for spouse visa, but not sure about my young son. Do we apply for him as an additional person to this application.

alternatively I was wondering if it is a better option to apply for his Australian citizenship and subsequent passport. Although have seen this can take up to 14 months?!

Really don't know where to begin, so much conflicting info

As a rule the best strategy is to first apply for citizenship be descent for your child. This should be finalised in much less than 14 months.

Hubby applied for our sons citizenship by descent within weeks of his birth. Had it all sorted and his Aus passport through within 6 weeks.

Be aware you may have to go in person for citizenship by descent and have an interview. Very straightforward but meant hubby taking a day off work to travel to London for it.

We registered both of our children soon after they were born and didn't have to attend an interview, but did to get their passports, go figure! Earlier this year we had to renew my sons passport (how he is 5 already is still baffling me!) and did have to go to Australia House. Hubby and I used it as a good excuse for a weekend in London, we had our 'interview' on Friday and the passport arrived in the post on Monday, can't get much quicker than that!

Just wanted to add that we also had very swift service for getting the citizenship sorted (2wks) via mail. Our passport interview for the kids was also very easy to organise and they saw us as soon as we walked in. The longest 'organisational' part for us has been getting all the documentation together for the spousal visa (submitted in April 13).

Wishing you all the best with your applications!

Thanks for the best wishes, Yea reading some other posts we will need to get the spouse visa submitted asap due to the waiting times

You need to have your child's Aus citizenship and passport in place as you'll be listing the as non migrating and have, iirc, to list the Aus passport etc on the forms.

You need to have your child's Aus citizenship and passport in place as you'll be listing the as non migrating and have, iirc, to list the Aus passport etc on the forms.

Sorry to contradict but you don't need the child's passport for the spouse visa application. But you did need to have sorted out citizenship for the reason you state. Sort out the passport later because as has been said you need to attend in person for that. As long as you have the child's visa in place when you are booking your flights to Oz (either for a recce or the move). As an Oz citizen the child must have an Oz passport to enter.

Sorry to contradict but you don't need the child's passport for the spouse visa application. But you did need to have sorted out citizenship for the reason you state. Sort out the passport later because as has been said you need to attend in person for that. As long as you have the child's visa in place when you are booking your flights to Oz (either for a recce or the move). As an Oz citizen the child must have an Oz passport to enter.

Perhaps not. We provided a certified copy of son's Aus passport, his full BC naming us both as his parents and his citizenship by descent certificate. As he was listed as non migrating we provided the documents to show he could legally enter Aus and therefore wasn't included in the application.

We have had our son's Aus documentation done since soon after he was born so it's never been an issue applying for it all alongside or before a partner visa. It was all there so we provided the information.

Perhaps not. We provided a certified copy of son's Aus passport, his full BC naming us both as his parents and his citizenship by descent certificate. As he was listed as non migrating we provided the documents to show he could legally enter Aus and therefore wasn't included in the application.

Second this, we had to provide all the documentation for our kids.

I guess that if the child has an Oz passport you should provide the details but if they don't have one it is ok. At least I hope so as we submitted partner visa application with child as non-migrating in August with simply the citizenship certificate as evidence. No additional information was asked for. About to start doing the passport application for her.