Moving Back to the UK - Education

pamsapom

After living in Oz for 10 very happy years the pull of Blighty and it's green pastures is just too much (plus parents getting older etc) so I am planning to return to the UK within the next 18 months. Could anybody help me with education issues - my daughter will be wanting to go to Uni there, but not sure what the situation will be regarding fees etc. More importantly my younger daughter will be wanting to attend a 6th form college as she'll be 16, she is the one I am more concerned about as I will be pulling her out at the end of year 10 - wanting to know how I get her accepted for a college as she won't have GCSE qualifications that the UK students will have. Thank you to anyone who has any information.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have changed the title of your thread and moved it in to the Moving Back to the UK section of the forum.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to help

Number of threads on this, but basically if you want domestic fees your child need to be in UK 3 years prior to start of university. You will pay overseas student fees if not - We have kids of a similar age. Youngest wants to do an expensive degree (medicine) and there's no way we can afford to pay UK fees, so it's an Australian Uni or a return prior and a 3 year break! I'm sure 6th forms will be fine if you are resident, but there will still need to be a 3 year residency - so a gap year. I am not sure where other European universities stand on the residency rule - there may be options e.g. in Holland, Germany - and I'm not sure whether student loans are available to 'non residents' - also there was a similar thread about bursaries - could be an option

Also best to contact intended university for details of their rules....