Applying for skilled independent visa but there is a chance of an urgent job offer now

talesofatwinmum

Hi, My husband is in the process of applying for a skilled independent visa and we're just waiting for his skills assessment to be processed. We've just heard today that an international company based near us in the UK (that he has some links with) is desperate to recruit staff to move over to Australia for an urgent contract. He has the skills they need and they want people asap. A skilled independent visa is likely to take months to process but we would want to be on a visa that made us permanent residents straight away rather than a temp visa. Is it possible to move over on some sort of temp visa to start work while continuing your skilled indepenent application from over there? It would be ideal for us because they would pay relocation costs but obviously we don't know if they'd consider somebody not actually working for their company already so it could be a long shot. Any advice would be appreciated before we contact them tomorrow! Cheers.

I think you'd go over on a 457 if you went as an employee initially but you can continue with your own skilled independent in the meantime and it'll just supersede the 457 if granted. The only downside is on a 457 I believe if the contract ends you need to find another employer willing to take you on ASAP.

Alternatively, if they're desperate for staff they might be willing/able to sponsor a 186 (I think) which is an employer sponsored PR visa.

Look in the skillselect web site as all visa types are listed there along with the associated conditions.

If you're lucky then Rupert, wrussell, Alan Collett or lebourvellec are online as these guys know their onions.

I think you'd go over on a 457 if you went as an employee initially but you can continue with your own skilled independent in the meantime and it'll just supersede the 457 if granted. The only downside is on a 457 I believe if the contract ends you need to find another employer willing to take you on ASAP.

Alternatively, if they're desperate for staff they might be willing/able to sponsor a 186 (I think) which is an employer sponsored PR visa.

Look in the skillselect web site as all visa types are listed there along with the associated conditions.

If you're lucky then Rupert, wrussell, Alan Collett or lebourvellec are online as these guys know their onions.

Thanks - I thought there would be a way to make it work. Will look online at the visa options and see how my husband gets on making the call this week to see if they might be interested in interviewing him for it. Cheers.

You can have 2 applications running at same time, if granted 457 you can keep working on the 189. Grant of PR will over ride 457.

Employer sponsored PR 186 direct entry stream still requires skills assessment and processing can be longer than 189.

The company would likely offer 457 as sponsorship if they meet requirements.

Best just see what happens with the interview and what is being offered but I would continue with 189.