Flying to Melbourne without visa label in new passport - anyone done this?

LadyCroft

Our visas were granted back in 2008 but due to our house not selling until recently we were unable to make the move until now.

As a result we have all needed our passports renewed but were advised you do not need a new visa label - just take the new passport, have it linked to the visa and also carry the old passport containing the original visa label.

We are flying out via Dubai and starting to worry about not having the physical visa label in the new passport. Has anyone else got first hand experience of doing this and if so was it easy enough to fly with the old passport containing the visa label as long as the new passport is linked to the visa?

Thanks!

Its a fully electronic system now so don't worry.

Thanks. I don't know why I am desperate to shell out even more cash getting new labels put in our new passports. I just worry about being stuck in the airport in limbo - as if I don't have enough to worry about at the moment!

Our visas were granted back in 2008 but due to our house not selling until recently we were unable to make the move until now.

As a result we have all needed our passports renewed but were advised you do not need a new visa label - just take the new passport, have it linked to the visa and also carry the old passport containing the original visa label.

We are flying out via Dubai and starting to worry about not having the physical visa label in the new passport. Has anyone else got first hand experience of doing this and if so was it easy enough to fly with the old passport containing the visa label as long as the new passport is linked to the visa?

Thanks!

when I emigrated from Heathrow in July of this year they wanted to see and check my visa in my old passport ...

Thanks!

We had a nightmare recently, we called immigration to ask if we could have a replacement visa label inserted in a new passport and they said we didn't need to because it's all electronic now. Never doubted it as we are now in the 21st century and all but when we got to the airport they told us they needed to see the label and we should have brought our old passport, we had to wait whilst they called Canberra to verify our visa status, must say they were very snotty about it and had my young son in tears when they said he may not be able to travel.

So like you say, just make sure you have your old passport with you with the visa label in just in case.

we had our visa today, and the email says we wont get a visa in our passport.....its all electronic now.

as long as you have your old passport aswell, I would assume that your new passport is linked to it in any case.

It has been electronic for a long time. There can still be issues as mentioned above, you can get the label if you ask (and pay).

Just take the old passports as well in case they're needed.

We had trouble going out from Sydney for a holiday and we'd checked out the departure form as residents...they picked up a new "visaless" passport that we'd registered with DIAC 4 months ago but they hadn't made the link yet. The lady manually linked it at immigration and said "that's done now".

We are returning in a few weeks, my husbands visa label is in his old passport, so taking that and we have also printed off the confirmation of his renewed RRV to carry with us as well. If you follow this link http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/vevo.htm you can chack an electronic visa yourself(just follow the instructions) and you can print off verification, I think it works with all types. It worked when I did it!!

:biggrin: