school and GCSEs

Guest o'reillys

Guest o'reillys

hi my name is tabitha im 11 and my brother george is 14

we are hoping to move to brisbane but my parents are unsure when is the best time cos of my brothers gcses next year, also does anyone know if you choose options like you do in england ?????

any advice about schools would be great !!! :smile:

Guest One-And-Only

Hey Tabitha.

I'm in a similar position to your brother George, as I am the same age and spookily also moving to the same area!

Me and my family are leaving start of June, before my GCSE courses start and so i can start school over in Australia at the start of the second semester.

Hope that helps, but if you need any more info, feel free to pm me.

Guest o'reillys

Fanx for replying can you tell me the term dates out there if u know them, also do u know if you go back a school year ?

Guest One-And-Only

For 2008 -

1st Term: Tue 29 Jan to Fri 4 Apr

2nd Term: Tue 15 Apr to Fri 27 Jun

3rd Term: Tue 15 Jul to Fri 19 Sep

4th Term: Mon 6 Oct to Fri 12 Dec

• Qld: Year 12 – finish Fri 21 Nov

• Qld: Year 10 – finish Fri 28 Nov

2008 Student Free Days (QLD)

• Thu 24 Jan

• Fri 25 Jan

• Mon 14 Apr

• Mon 14 Jul

• Mon 20 Oct

Not sure about 2009 though.

Hope it helps!

Guest vickyt

Hey im 16 nearl 17 and i moved 3 months before doing my gcse exams last year and its okay cos over here you do other stuff its kinda better in a way.your brother will be fine :)

Guest vickyt

no you do like class assignments and class tests until year 12 then you do the propper lasts in like september october :)

Guest beefy

Hi im 14 aswell. I am moving to Melbourne, i left in year 8 and going to Melbourne around may and starting in june for the new term.

I was worried about schools over there because i am missing like 6 months of school but lucky for every one else and me their school year is a year behind. =]

------------------------------------------

Waiting for visa .....

Hi kids,

could do with some advice we are hoping to be in Oz by the end of 2008,the only problem is my daughter is 16 in Nov 08 and should be doing her exams from may next year.Would she have to go to school when we got to Oz or could she go straight to Collage,also is there anyway she can take her exams earlier in uk,she has done alot of her course work.

Think someone was saying uk exams do not count for anything in oz,is this true.Any info I can pass on to my daughter would be great she might love me again LOL :spinny::spinny::spinny:

Guest pabloke99
Hi kids,

could do with some advice we are hoping to be in Oz by the end of 2008,the only problem is my daughter is 16 in Nov 08 and should be doing her exams from may next year.Would she have to go to school when we got to Oz or could she go straight to Collage,also is there anyway she can take her exams earlier in uk,she has done alot of her course work.

Think someone was saying uk exams do not count for anything in oz,is this true.Any info I can pass on to my daughter would be great she might love me again LOL :spinny::spinny::spinny:

We are in exactly the same situation - and I mean exactly! We have decided to move at the end of this year so that she can start the school year in Oz in Jan/Feb 09 and start coursework towards HSCs (not sure whether it will be year 10 or 11). We had initially decided to wait until she'd finished her GCSEs next summer, but by that time she would have fallen behind her peers in Oz. So ultimately we decided that as Australia is where her future lies (whether she likes it or not), then the sooner we transferred her across to their education system, the better.

Hi kids,

Not quite sure about your college/school distinction here - ACT has secondary colleges but most other states have a HS structure that goes through to year 12. So generally she would be continuing at school. She wouldnt be eligible for university.

UK exams are completely and utterly irrelevant and no one will care one way or the other whether she has done them or not. What will be important is that she completes her final two years of schooling here. The final two years comprise selected subjects (more than A levels but fewer than GCSEs usually) and the assessment is part continuous assessment and part final exam at the end of year 12. The nett result is a score which can, if you want, be used to determine whether you can get into university or not. If she starts year 11 in 2009 she will be fine.

The Aussie system is quite different from that in UK and the Aussie schools will just look at her birth date, her visa and her vaccination record and all else is irrelevant to them!

We are in exactly the same situation - and I mean exactly! We have decided to move at the end of this year so that she can start the school year in Oz in Jan/Feb 09 and start coursework towards HSCs (not sure whether it will be year 10 or 11). We had initially decided to wait until she'd finished her GCSEs next summer, but by that time she would have fallen behind her peers in Oz. So ultimately we decided that as Australia is where her future lies (whether she likes it or not), then the sooner we transferred her across to their education system, the better.

If your daughter has already turned 16 by end Jan 09 (or will turn 16 before end of July 09) then she will go into year 11 and begin her HSC course (assume you are going to NSW). There is no value in comparing her progress with her UK peers and she wont have fallen behind at all, in fact she will probably find it much easier than the work she has been doing in UK.

Guest pabloke99
If your daughter has already turned 16 by end Jan 09 (or will turn 16 before end of July 09) then she will go into year 11 and begin her HSC course (assume you are going to NSW). There is no value in comparing her progress with her UK peers and she wont have fallen behind at all, in fact she will probably find it much easier than the work she has been doing in UK.

Thanks Quoll, Year 11 it is then. My point was that she would fall behind her Australian peers if she stayed in UK to finish GCSEs, which is why are are moving in time for her to start the school year in Jan/Feb 09. We'll be heading to Queensland, so it'll be whatever their equivalent of HSCs is.

Thanks Quoll, Year 11 it is then. My point was that she would fall behind her Australian peers if she stayed in UK to finish GCSEs, which is why are are moving in time for her to start the school year in Jan/Feb 09. We'll be heading to Queensland, so it'll be whatever their equivalent of HSCs is.

Ah I get you!

Guest o'reillys

God looks like there is loads of us in the same boat. good luck with the expo gwen, if your daughter posts a thread on the youngers ones forum she'll get replys back from other kids which will be reassuring for her.

Thanks for all your replys I have shown my daughter,she has now become a member and asking her own questions (its a start) :v_SPIN:

Cannot wait for Saturday just hope everything goes ok for Steve he getting worked up already.We just want to get to Oz :cool:

Thanks again Gwen x x x

Archived