So the Job Market is pretty much dead in Canberra

Maggie2012

After speaking with EVERY job agency in the town jobs are scars. Companies on hire freeze unless you know someone at the right place. All agencies empty that is not encouraging at all. 90% of the jobs unreachable for new emigrants due to requiring citizenship or government clearance. No wonder this forum is so quiet.

You, recent immigrants, how are you doing with your job search?

Edited by Maggie2012

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for me it was fine as I am an Aussie and clinched a job before moving over. However, for my OH she had to find a job and basically all she did was go to the library 3 days a week look on Seek and apply for any relevant jobs. She had an interview for one but didn't get it. She then handed her CV into a place and 3 weeks later they phoned her, asked to meet her that day and bang she has the job. Oh, she also cancelled an interview as she had accepted that job.

I think it is difficult but you also need to use some initiative and take your CV into places you'd like to work. You never know what may come happen.

Good luck to all who are looking for a job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

90% of the jobs unreachable for new emigrants due to requiring citizenship or government clearance.

This has always been the case though for APS jobs, but most of the departments have freezes on at the moment and I don't think they'll be lifted anytime soon. People have had better luck looking at ACT government jobs I think. I've been here for 3.5 years now and I work in the community sector. It took me 6 months to get my part time job a year ago, but that was more down to finding a match for days that worked with my childcare arrangements at the time. It's quite hard starting out as well because Canberra, being a small place, has a lot of people that know each other and network together.

What sort of work are you looking for?

Any work, we'd do anything. We have been using Seek for weeks now, applying for jobs with individual attention. Yes, there is a freeze on jobs because of the elections and the stance in many places you walk in is sort of "repelling". We do not know anyone to network in with and Canberra not being the cheapest place, we do not have $40000 to go through and wait for something to happen. We get no support (not that we want it) from the government, not even the local one. All we want is a chance, but if there is none we'll have to take some steps to get released from our obligations, no matter how we like Canberra.

To be honest it is a bit upsetting that there are so many jobs open on state sponsorship that do not exist. Why on earth....

To be honest it is a bit upsetting that there are so many jobs open on state sponsorship that do not exist. Why on earth....

State sponsorship and the visa process itself is a business. Australia get some good people with skills and fresh money as well. The whole SS is more a wish list based on data gathered many months ago.

I wish you all the best Maggie! Hopefully, you'll land a job soon.

They don't care wether there are jobs or not only that you and plenty of others will come and sink money in to the local economy, buy houses keeping artificially high prices high and that with population growth we will create jobs for these 'in demand' occupations. Welcome to the ponzi scheme!

Guest Ptp113
They don't care wether there are jobs or not only that you and plenty of others will come and sink money in to the local economy, buy houses keeping artificially high prices high and that with population growth we will create jobs for these 'in demand' occupations. Welcome to the ponzi scheme!

"Keeps the riff raff (poms) out, so not a bad thing really"

luckily we know people in Melbourne and may find emergency shelter if Canberra sucks our bank accounts dry. But if any of you knows any jobs that the posh Canberrans with multiple masters degrees won't take let us know. We are Brits after all so "no worries!"...

Any work, we'd do anything. We have been using Seek for weeks now, applying for jobs with individual attention. Yes, there is a freeze on jobs because of the elections and the stance in many places you walk in is sort of "repelling". We do not know anyone to network in with and Canberra not being the cheapest place, we do not have $40000 to go through and wait for something to happen. We get no support (not that we want it) from the government, not even the local one. All we want is a chance, but if there is none we'll have to take some steps to get released from our obligations, no matter how we like Canberra.

To some degree migration takes a leap of faith. It can't be minutely planned and the researching the 'best' of any number of things from current accounts to white goods, doesn't necessarily produce a good result. Much in the same that phoning agencies from out of country, or apply for jobs offshore for most people this doesn't work. No offense mean't but the people that go to this 'nth detail seem to be the ones that return to the UK (often quite quickly).

To some degree migration takes a leap of faith. It can't be minutely planned and the researching the 'best' of any number of things from current accounts to white goods, doesn't necessarily produce a good result. Much in the same that phoning agencies from out of country, or apply for jobs offshore for most people this doesn't work. No offense mean't but the people that go to this 'nth detail seem to be the ones that return to the UK (often quite quickly).

yes you are right that hard to research from oceans away, but what are you suppose to say as a new migrant to the town, when a Centerlink employee tells you not to even bother to look at the jobs what they list because almost all of them are "already taken" than you walk into an agency, whose job is to hep you to find a job, tells you to just email the resume and someone will get back to you - no offense, but this is so unprofessional, especially in a Capital of a country.

We are still positive, but how should one keep up hope in the long term if nobody wants to even talk to you. Why don't you just say it straight) goes for the government): we have no need for any professionals but for those who are Australian citizens to wannabe migrants. and shut the damn door on immigration to ACT.

Or when someone tells you "you can only get to places if you are networked in in Canberra". Yeah, thank you very much for the advice, rather why aren't you willing to make suggestions that there is this social club and go there or here to help you create that network.

We won't get back on that ship to the UK, mister. We're here to make home and if Canberra doesn't want us, there are many other regions to go. And it will be Canberra's loss nevertheless to say......

yes you are right that hard to research from oceans away, but what are you suppose to say as a new migrant to the town, when a Centerlink employee tells you not to even bother to look at the jobs what they list because almost all of them are "already taken" than you walk into an agency, whose job is to hep you to find a job, tells you to just email the resume and someone will get back to you - no offense, but this is so unprofessional, especially in a Capital of a country.

Apologies, I didn't realise until reading some of your earlier posts that you'd arrived in Canberra (welcome!). That is pretty rubbish on both Centrelink (who are fricken awful) and the agency's behalf.

Wouldn't be bothering with Centrelink! Get your cv into the recruitment agencies, go for short term contracts - they get your foot in the door at least. The list of occupations in demand never reflects the actuality on the ground - I reckon it's about 2 years behind! I'm sure you were aware before you arrived that a good number of advertised positions weren't going to be appropriate because of citizenship requirements and you don't say if you are aiming at government type work but the ACTPS takes PRs as Jurls said. If you are looking at the NFP sector there is a mailing list that usually gets first adverts (sorry, no longer there so have lost my link but Jurls may know or you could approach a NFP agency and see if you can get on the local list). They do require you to prove about 4 months worth of funding before you get your visa - there is a reason for that, it can take several months to land a job. A lot of people start out by volunteering just to get the networking going. The usual advice of "take a career break" is there for a purpose - finding work in Aus can be hard!

If you are desperate for something, trawl the malls. There are usually sits vac notices in shop windows. Good luck! Didn't realize you'd arrived already!

edited to say, also, make an appointment with the agency/s email your cv first and use your appointment yo get feedback on application etc. don't just expect to walk in and get a job.

Edited by Quoll

Guest Ptp113

We are still positive, but how should one keep up hope in the long term if nobody wants to even talk to you. Why don't you just say it straight) goes for the government): we have no need for any professionals but for those who are Australian citizens to wannabe migrants. and shut the damn door on immigration to ACT.

Or when someone tells you "you can only get to places if you are networked in in Canberra". Yeah, thank you very much for the advice, rather why aren't you willing to make suggestions that there is this social club and go there or here to help you create that network.

We won't get back on that ship to the UK, mister. We're here to make home and if Canberra doesn't want us, there are many other regions to go. And it will be Canberra's loss nevertheless to say......

You're not applying for jobs the way the majority of employers hire (most job seekers don't). I strongly suggest you get a copy of What Colour Is Your Parachute 2014, and you'll understand.

I feel for anyone desperate for a job, but I thought this comment was a bit out of order. The poster who mentioned the networking asked you what you did for a living and you wouldn't tell her, so she couldn't help you. And then you have a pop at the poor woman in another post!

If you don't want to tell us what you do, then have a look at meetup.com - there are loads of opportunities for meeting new people on there.

Hi Maggie2012,

I understand your views. As advised by Quoll, try and get involved in other roles outside your skillset built over the years. You can always get back into your skillset after some months with Aussie job experience and a bit of networking built from workplace and social activities. You need few cash to get involved.

Do check recruiters involved in disability care. You can google and continue to seek information from people about it. Though I am still offshore but should be in Canberra by 2014. The people i know on ground in Canberra gave me this priviledge information. Do take it seriously.

Cheers and good luck.

Tamilope

keep looking on seek, keep looking on mycareer.com.au, and ask anyone and everyone you know. I had some success getting temp roles with agencies, it is worth applying to them too and seeing if you can get a short-term contract, short-term can often lead to longer term.

govt jobs are on a freeze, but there are private companies out there too. without knowing what you're looking for/where your skills are it's hard to know where else to point you. I've got a lot of experience of applying for admin jobs, but not much else! It took my OH 3 months to get a job when we arrived last year, in IT, because he came up against the citizenship issue as many of the IT jobs are in the federal government and that does require citizenship for security clearances. State government often doesn't, though, and you can get their jobs off their website act.gov.au - they have a job list and there's often some lower-level temp roles around that again might allow you to get a foot in the door.

The other thing I would recommend is getting someone local to check your resume for style, and if you have to write a response to their list of 'required skills/abilities' (forget what it's called now) get someone to check that too. They are looking for a fairly specific style of response and type of response (this particularly applies to the ACT govt and institutions like universities), and if you haven't been through it you probably won't get it first time. I got a couple of friends to check over my more recent ones and the difference between my first effort and my second after their comments was astounding.

If you're looking to meet locals so that you can start networking - join clubs. sports, families, hobbies, whatever you can find of that variety that suits you. I posted on another post about where my hubs and I met our various friends, and others will suggest other places you can look.

It *is* frustrating, and I know the hubs really struggled when nothing seemed to be happening early on, but do keep persevering - if Canberra is the place you want to stay, then I'm sure you'll find something to enable you to stay! It's very like it was a couple of years back in the UK where last time I was looking for a job I think I applied for about 60 or 70 over the space of 3 months before I got an interview - but I got a job out of that interview. Just keep on clicking 'apply' to everything you see that you think you may be able to do! Good luck with it.

I 100% agree with Maggie, we have been here 4 weeks and finding the same thing. We appreciate it takes time but very difficult as everything is so expensive with no wage. My background is in the arts, so many amazing galleries in Canberra, seen at least 3 jobs that I have all the experience for but not Aussie citizen so won't pass security. My boyfriend is a water engineer, servicing pumps, but few water jobs here, even though we were told there would be.

I'm doing everything possible to stay positive as we will make this adventure work!!

:)

we know how frustrating that gets, Louise! Hope you find something soon. Has your boyfriend tried the Murray-Darling Basin Authority? I know another water engineer that moved up here from Victoria at the start of this year and I'm pretty sure that was with them. Best of luck :)

I 100% agree with Maggie, we have been here 4 weeks and finding the same thing. We appreciate it takes time but very difficult as everything is so expensive with no wage. My background is in the arts, so many amazing galleries in Canberra, seen at least 3 jobs that I have all the experience for but not Aussie citizen so won't pass security. My boyfriend is a water engineer, servicing pumps, but few water jobs here, even though we were told there would be.

I'm doing everything possible to stay positive as we will make this adventure work!!

:)

Email the contact officers and explain your predicament, art gallery jobs are not high national security and even if they are Federal, there can be leeway on the citizenship waivers if you're a great candidate.

Apply the skills you've learned in the Arts world to apply for other jobs needing those skills, don't be ringfenced by a profession or job title.

Try the agencies....they were not great in my experience, but it's worth seeing if you can go in and speak to them.

Also, be prepared to do anything to get your foot in the door, buy yourself time. A guy i met worked on grass cutting just to get some money in, made some good contacts and built up some Aussie experience and character references.

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to one un named major gallery HR and she rudely told me there is no way they would waiver the citizen requirement unless there was literally no other Australian person who could do the job! I will continue to apply as I know I have the experience and could do the job very well. That's why it's frustrating, an art gallery is hardly top national security, plus in the visa application I gave life evidence plus a police check!!

I had a interview last week for a retail job so fingers crossed I will get it, only Christmas temp but will bring some money in.

This forum is cheering me up! As all you other immigrants know, it's difficult when finding work is hard, adding to the equation no friends, little money, new area etc.

Everything will be ok, the sun is shining, we are heathy and we have each other: Repeat, repeat, repeat

:biggrin:

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to one un named major gallery HR and she rudely told me there is no way they would waiver the citizen requirement unless there was literally no other Australian person who could do the job! I will continue to apply as I know I have the experience and could do the job very well. That's why it's frustrating, an art gallery is hardly top national security, plus in the visa application I gave life evidence plus a police check!!

I had a interview last week for a retail job so fingers crossed I will get it, only Christmas temp but will bring some money in.

This forum is cheering me up! As all you other immigrants know, it's difficult when finding work is hard, adding to the equation no friends, little money, new area etc.

Everything will be ok, the sun is shining, we are heathy and we have each other: Repeat, repeat, repeat

:biggrin:

Unfortunately national galleries and the like are federal employers hence the citizenship requirement. That takes out the ANG and ANM and ANL as well unfortunately. There is CMAG which would be state and therefore should only require PR. Actually, you are on a hiding to nothing even trying for anything federally managed unless you are headhunted as being a leader of international repute in your field - I wouldnt waste the energy to be honest. Its a sad fact that people equate getting a visa with the capacity to get a job and, as has been said many times on this forum, the two often bear little relationship to each other and the visa "wanted" list lags the jobs on the ground by a couple of years - Stanhope probably decided he wanted more curators for his ghastly roadside statuary!

Unfortunately national galleries and the like are federal employers hence the citizenship requirement. That takes out the ANG and ANM and ANL as well unfortunately. There is CMAG which would be state and therefore should only require PR. Actually, you are on a hiding to nothing even trying for anything federally managed unless you are headhunted as being a leader of international repute in your field - I wouldnt waste the energy to be honest. Its a sad fact that people equate getting a visa with the capacity to get a job and, as has been said many times on this forum, the two often bear little relationship to each other and the visa "wanted" list lags the jobs on the ground by a couple of years - Stanhope probably decided he wanted more curators for his ghastly roadside statuary!

It's brilliant and getting better by the day.

luckily we know people in Melbourne and may find emergency shelter if Canberra sucks our bank accounts dry. But if any of you knows any jobs that the posh Canberrans with multiple masters degrees won't take let us know. We are Brits after all so "no worries!"...

Hi Maggie

just reading through this sounds a bit scary! What happens if you do not get a job... Are you allowed to work in another state or does that have implications on your visa?

I am planning to move in Jan 2014 and reading about the job market is really getting me worried now. :eek:

Hope you find something soon.....