Kooky

Cost of making the move...

43 posts in this topic

I am about to create a spread sheet of some sort to work out the overall cost of making the move. Aside from the obvious (shipping of goods, visa costs, flights etc) is there anything I might need to put on there - maybe there are some 'hidden costs' or other costs you don't think about until you get to it. I am happy to share my spread sheet once it's done :wink:

Moneycorp
Moneycorp

Not really, I think most costs are obvious ones.

But perhaps one thing some might overlook, is having to buy things like towels bedding, crockery, maybe an airbed, to live on whilst waiting for the container to arrive.

Accommodation costs, short term lets plus you will need a to pay a bond when you do lease. Car hire/ buying?

Living costs for while you find a job - you need enough money to live for 3 months (minimum) while you find a job. That's rent, bills, food, transport and all daily costs.

If you really want silly hidden costs, but which actually surprisingly amount to quite a bit in the first month, then replacing all the things in your house like bleach, washing up liquid, scourers, surface cleaning sprays, shampoo, showergel, sun cream, kitchen towel, salt, sauces, condiments in general.... there are loads of odds and sods like that which you take for granted, yet really miss when their not there! On their own they don't add up to much, but put it all together and I think its a definate first arrival hidden cost on the shopping bill.

If you really want silly hidden costs, but which actually surprisingly amount to quite a bit in the first month, then replacing all the things in your house like bleach, washing up liquid, scourers, surface cleaning sprays, shampoo, showergel, sun cream, kitchen towel, salt, sauces, condiments in general.... there are loads of odds and sods like that which you take for granted, yet really miss when their not there! On their own they don't add up to much, but put it all together and I think its a definate first arrival hidden cost on the shopping bill.

So true. Unlike moving house in the UK when you move overseas you have to pretty much build up your pantry and cleaning stocks from scratch, which can be very expensive.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming if you think of anything else.

Car rego / insurance / breakdown cover / pink slip (like an MOT) / repairs / servicing, car seats (if you have kids), health insurance (if on 457 / not PR), health expenses (medical / dental excesses not covered by insurance), optician, prescriptions, ambo cover, home insurance, life insurance (if only in Oz temporarily I believe you can keep your UK cover, just tell them where you're moving to and continue the payments), school stationery / incursions / excursions, school shoes (I see school fees and uniforms have already been mentioned so won't repeat this) / swimming lessons (I think - from my own research - they have around 10 lessons...?), home entertainment bundle (Foxtel / internet / phone or mobile), holiday clubs / sports for the kids, leisure activities / coffees / meals / day trips / exploring, etc. for yourselves, transportation costs (be it bus or tram), daily parking costs in the CBD (or train costs if commuting), ad-hoc house / garden costs, birthday / Xmas gifts, etc.

Can't think of anything else for now... that should be enough to keep you going for a while, anyway! ;-)

I-F

New suitcases and clothes.

Transport to and from the airport.

Overnight stays at airport.

Not actually ha time to start the spread

sheet yet but this is all really useful. Thanks everyone! ;-)

Hi Kooky - did you ever make the spreadsheet? I'm going to start making one for our move (I'm Vanduex's wife) and something to look at as a starting point would be so useful!

I made a spreadsheet (back in 2012 so keep needing to change the exchange rate formulas!) and am happy to share it on here if someone can explain how I do it...? I tried once before (copying and pasting) and it put all the columns / rows out of sync... :-/

I-F

No idea how to upload things like that!! Anyone got any ideas??

A spreadsheet would be really useful :) thanks ItchyFeet76!! To attach a document, click go advanced when you go to post a reply, and it gives you the option of attaching documents - hope this works!!

thanks again!!

Thanks TeacherBen, I'll give it a go now. The spreadsheet has been updated with last week's exchange rate, whereby $1 = 0.526767p.

Cheers, I-F :-)

PS - It's a work in progress so feel free to modify it / suggest improvements, plus the Groceries bit is half-finished as my hard-drive died and I lost some work as I didn't save it before it crashed :-(

AUS VS UK PRICE COMPARISON 2014.xls

AUS VS UK PRICE COMPARISON 2014.xls

Edited by ItchyFeet76
Wrong file attached

I've just realised this is in the Transport & Shipping section so may need moving to a more appropriate part of the forum... (cheers, mods!) :)

Hi Tina (nice to 'meet' you). I didn't get round to it (work gets in the way!) sorry!

itchfeet thanks for sharing ;-)

Hi itchyfeet76, thanks for sharing! Sorry I didn't say thanks straight away - thought I had but it didn't post!!!

cheers again, teacherben

Just realised that, for some unknown reason, I uploaded the wrong spreadsheet (the UK Finances was one to decide whether to rent or sell our house - could still have been useful to some people but not relevant to this particular thread). Have now uploaded the correct spreadsheet. There are several sheets within it (Groceries, Non-Groceries, Budget for Renting in Aus, Budget for Buying in Aus, etc.) so it may take a while to peruse... happy reading! ;-)

1 person likes this

:) thanks! It was useful thinking about houses etc over here...but the new one is even better!!!! ;)

thanks again!!!

teacherben

Itchy feet 76 much appreciate your willingness to share that file thank you!!!

Ha ha I thought it was me not understanding it when I opened it the first time! Thanks for the update itchy feet!

Wowsers!!!!

Thanks for all this itchy!! Really useful to have! X

Edited by tina0101