Anyone else felt like Oz wasn't for them so early on????

dazeybear

Personal circumstances make such a big difference, my girlfriend has been here 8 weeks now, and as yet has not got a job. She is loving it here though , because I am working there is no massive presure for her to get one and she has the luxury of getting out explorering Melbourne while we are building a social life in the evening and shes made friends with a few girls, joined a netball team, a book club, reallly getting involved in life here, her social life is already miles better than it was in the UK.. I guess without me she might also be at home thinking it was "not for her" but you dont know until you get out and find out whats there. You need to hold on until you find work, then you can experience life in Australia at which point you can judge it fairly on its merits. If you go back to the UK you might also be out of work for 6 weeks, will that not be for u also? Good luck, hang in there, its worth the effort

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, you are definatley NOT alone. I knew as I got off the plane and over the last 2 years 5 months and 17 days, its only gotten worse. Work here is a joke, you'll try for months to get a job that your expierenced in before applying for jobs that are way below your previous role. Then when you fail to get even a minial role within your field you'll look for anything that pays enough. Apparantly thats when you become 'settled in this wonderful new life'

I wouldn't saty that is exactly how it will be for you, but every person I have met so far who moved here has had that expierence, so odds are........

Actually thats a lie, I met a guy who cmoes out here regulary to be with his girlfriend, who he met on facebook, and he loved it he thought working in her shop selling pool chemicles was much better than his life at home, he lived in an old mining town up north and worked in a cigerete factory!

Good luck with it all, I will say this, while you are both out of work, use this time to do stuff, swim surf, walks etc as you won't have the free time if/when you are both working again.

Best of luck J