help on sending kids to UK uni when been living in oz?

bessie

my friend is wanting to move back to the uk with her two teenage children aged 19 and 15, her husband wants to stay in oz, one of his arguments is that their kids cant go to uni in the UK now until they have been resident for three years....

is this true? they have only been here for four years and were all born n raised in UK...does the eldest now have to twiddle her thumbs for three years before applying? I cant see that helping my friend convince her daughter to move back!

anyone know anything about qualifying for domestic student status or international student status? they wouldn't be able to pay international fees....

Then husband is correct, it would certainly be international fees for the eldest. The youngest would still be at school so that is a different matter.

why is it a different matter? she is nearly sixteen so wld only have been resident in uk for two years when she wld want to go to uni? so also wldnt meet the three year requirement......

:(

Guest guest30085
why is it a different matter? she is nearly sixteen so wld only have been resident in uk for two years when she wld want to go to uni? so also wldnt meet the three year requirement......

:(

Hi Bessie

The youngest would only have to postpone for a year though if she follows the conventional path of a levels and then straight to uni, a year out isn't such a bad thing at that age, they do some growing up if work for a year, if uni us what she really wants, not all do of course. Could the eldest not go to Uni in Oz? She is at that age when they start to leave us anyway, tough on parents but unfortunately it's something we have to face with our babies :( alternatively the eldest could do a distance learning course whilst working, there are plenty of options these days than the traditional brick uni. I hope they can sort out something that suits them all

cool thanks glad to hear she wldnt have to pay for school :)

how wld they know if the youngest basically lied and said she had been in the country for three years? not that i'm suggesting she do this- but i'm wondering how wld they know?

I don't think my friend wld leave her eldest here on her own :(

Guest guest30085

Hi

As hard as it is, the eldest is an adult and can make her own decisions on where she wants to live. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but a decision her daughter may make, whether your friend stays or goes would be down to her but she can't force the eldest

They would usually ask for proof of residency just to prevent that very thing

how wld they know if the youngest basically lied and said she had been in the country for three years? not that i'm suggesting she do this- but i'm wondering how wld they know?

Her schooling records?

As well as the obvious schooling records, the parents have to supply their financial details including evidence of income as part of the fees assessment.

They should not though just assume that it is not an option. Many universities provide bursaries for international students. There are also a huge number of private bursaries available depending on what course is being studied.

It is worth calling the universities the student is interested in and discussing it and doing research on private bursaries.

They would not be eligible for a student loan, but other means can be found! I did my undergrad degree with no loan and having to fund my own fees.

Hi Bessie,

we are currently researching the same issue, we arrived on a 457 visa in May 2010 and our daughter is now in Y12, she wants to return to the UK to study law. As our 2 sons remained in the Uk we have decided to return home in May 2014, to start uni Sept 2014. We decided to email a few uni's in UK and were surprised to find out just because you are a UK citizen with a British passport, it doesn't automatically allow you admission as a 'home' student to uni. The important issue is where you have been living in the 3 years preceding application to uni.It is ultimately at the discretion of each uni whether they charge you home or overseas rates when they assess your application, but we were in discussions with York uni and went through due process to obtain as status in our personal situation.

As we came out on a 457 on a temporary status, we had to prove that it was only ever our intention to stay here temporarily-which was a worry as we applied for PR following the LAFAH debacle. The uni wanted proof that we still had our house in the UK (rental agreement/mortgage payments), proof of bank accounts, passports, employment contract and visas to support our claim of temporary status. We also enclosed a covering note saying the only reason we obtained PR was to allow my husband to change jobs. On consideration-they classed us as 'ordinarily resident' and would qualify for home fees, but each uni will do the assessment themselves.

I suppose if your friend entered Aus as a PR, or has become PR, then the situation would be different. Needless to say we wont be applying for citizenship before uni placement in UK is granted!

They should not though just assume that it is not an option. Many universities provide bursaries for international students. There are also a huge number of private bursaries available depending on what course is being studied.

It is worth calling the universities the student is interested in and discussing it and doing research on private bursaries.

They would not be eligible for a student loan, but other means can be found! I did my undergrad degree with no loan and having to fund my own fees.[/quote

This sounds promising - My son is a reasonably high achiever (will prob get a high IB score). We assumed that he would have to go to uni here - there is no way we can afford non UK resident fees and he will probably do an expensive degree (science/medicine). Is it exceptionally hard to get a bursary?

It varies a lot for bursaries. I did a science degree - geology and there were a range of bursaries available. The huge range of private bursaries which come from a range of sources from industry to private trusts will normally be targeted at a particular "type" of student for a better word.

The companies from the industry also offer particular unis differing amounts. For example, One of the big quarry companies does one at my old department that pays several students about $10k a year each.

If you haven't cut ties completely with the UK (still have house & bank accounts) and your kids were educated in the UK at some point, I don't see why a uni wouldn't consider it. I would approach a few to find out what their take is on it. You haven't been here long at all as a WHV is standard 4 years anyway and doesn't give you automatic residency.

I used to assess potential students for fees, universities have full descretion over whom they consider home or international, and if someone was initially resident, then their parents moved overseas then returned, providing they could show their intention of staying in the UK I would most likely have assessed them as home student.

Keep in mind though, the Student Loan Company is a lot more strict and while the student may be assessed as home for fees purposes by the university, the SLC will probably not regard them that way