Ambulance cover NSW

k8bug79

Hi we've been in Sydney a few weeks. We have 3 kids and i am keen to ensure we are covered in the event of an emergency. When we were looking to come out we looked at various locations and I noticed that most (maybe all I did'n't check them all) states you paid a one off fee for ambulance covr. But when looking at NSW it says to make sure you have a health insurance policy that includes it. I didn't really want to commit to a health insurance payment each month at the moment but can't help feeling we are leaving ourselves exposed.

Is it right that this is the only way to protect ourselves and if so has anyone in a similar situation found a cheap solution as medical cover is coming in at $20 a week which is way more than we had budgeted for ambulance cover lol

This is what the ambulance service nsw website says

How do I arrange Ambulance cover?

To arrange ambulance cover you will need to contact a registered private health fund of your choice. An ambulance levy is included as part of basic hospital coverage with a registered health fund. Some funds also offer "ambulance only" insurance. Costs and inclusions differ from fund to fund, therefore it is recommended that you contact several funds to decide which cover is best for your personal circumstances.

Useful information on private health care is available on the Department of Health and Ageing website

I just can't see anywhere you can pay ambulance cover in the same way as other states. Really annoying as $80 a month is almost what you pay a year in other states

I have epilepsy so it was important I got ambulance cover. I have an ambulance only policy with Bupa and it costs $42 a year. If you go on the Bupa website you will see it.

Fab Steph thanks,

and thankx Cal i've read that oaragraph a few times and didn't see that line there!