Heading to melbourne!

Guest Rachel L

Guest Rachel L

three weeks to go - but nowhere to go! I'm not totally new to this, as I have lived in Sydney, but this time we're doing melbourne and I really have no clue as to what to do and where to go. As I don't know many people there I'd really like to aim to live in a suburb that's village-y, rather than sprawling. I have two children under 5, so obviously establishing a friend network will be high on the agenda! If anyone has some knowledge of suburbs that would be great. Looking at inner east, eastern and bayside 'burbs. With lots of hubbub and less 'burb-i-ness! And please, if anyone's up for getting together with children and a glass or two of something while the sun sets please get in touch. I'm a freelance journo, so while husband looks frantically for work and before kids go to school, I shall be skulking around the four walls (when we find some to skulk in). Sorry for rambling. Countdown started and I'm getting a tad nervous!

Rachel x

Hi Rachel,

can't help much with where to live as my priorities are different to yours, we really like Moonee Ponds and Brunswick but a bit out of our price range, we are probably going to go for Laverton, or somewhere in that direction as it seems to be an up and coming area. I would suggest a short rental to start with somewhere like Williamstown and then have a good look around all the areas, hopefully someone already there with young children will be able to suggest some other areas.

goodluckmsg.gif

Guest HPRYCE

Hi Rachel

We moved out to Melbourne at the beginning of November, we being myself, wife and 2 and a bit year old daughter. We have settled in the bayside area, Brighton East and have to say it is a really safe family orientated area with lots of amenities, parks etc, etc. My wife works in the city, my daughter goes to an ABC nursery halfway between and adores it and I'm hoping to start working in the property sector in the near future. If we can give you any pointers or answer any questions you may have we would be very happy to. Good luck with it all.

Guest peppa
three weeks to go - but nowhere to go! I'm not totally new to this, as I have lived in Sydney, but this time we're doing melbourne and I really have no clue as to what to do and where to go. As I don't know many people there I'd really like to aim to live in a suburb that's village-y, rather than sprawling. I have two children under 5, so obviously establishing a friend network will be high on the agenda! If anyone has some knowledge of suburbs that would be great. Looking at inner east, eastern and bayside 'burbs. With lots of hubbub and less 'burb-i-ness! And please, if anyone's up for getting together with children and a glass or two of something while the sun sets please get in touch. I'm a freelance journo, so while husband looks frantically for work and before kids go to school, I shall be skulking around the four walls (when we find some to skulk in). Sorry for rambling. Countdown started and I'm getting a tad nervous!

Rachel x

Hi Rachel

berwick is a lovely village type area but i dont know if you want to be that far away from the city its about an hour commute.

Archived