Should I quit job to go backpacking?

Digital2013

Maybe its me VS but I Didnt read anywhere that the OP was running away from anything.

What I read was a you a young person realising that there may be more to life than work. OP could still do what you suggest but why not just take a year or two out before getting bogged down with responsibilities.

Just saying :wink:

you've read it correct, i'm not running away from anything, aside from work I am happy with where I live, have good friends and a close family etc it really is that Monday 9-5 period at work that is the depressing part! and most nights i'm so tired or fed-up that my evenings are ruined too. The weekend is the only time I properly chill-out and enjoy myself.

I went backpacking to Oz nearly 22 years ago, although I was out of work at the time and only went because a work colleague who also had her contract ended persuaded me to go with her. I had a flat but rented it out, had a fixed budget and money in the bank in the UK. Was a fantastic experience, loved the freedom, met my Aussie husband even though I wasn't looking - (still happily married). It was a life changing decision and I sometimes feel that life would have been much easier if I had married a guy from down the road in England - but my life has been far from boring and conventional. If you have the urge to travel it is like an itch that has to be scratched so go for it if you can.

Great post PP, love your story and v wise words :biggrin:

My husband read your post and suggested that I add to the thread as I went on a WHV back in 1989... A million years ago I am sure you are thinking, but leaving the comfort and security of your current position will give you something money can't buy. CONFIDENCE and COURAGE. having worked in recruitment for a few years I can tell you that recruitment consultants don't worry about gaps in CVs as long as there is a good reason for it and you don't hide the real reason. The reason I went was due to not enjoying my job too. I too had a flat and had never left my home town. After my Australian trip, which took in a month traveling through Asia, I never looked back. I applied for migration on the skilled programme 3 years later and gained citizenship in 1997. I have been back and forth over the years and have never had a problem getting a job in either country. Granted times are tougher now on the job front but at the end of the day it's you that the company buys into and if you are confident you will interview so much better. No one is going to ignore your experience just because you went travelling for a year. You will learn so much about yourself and also meet some fantastic people along the way. When I left the Uk I was an experienced manager in hospitality but I was willing to take casual work in Aus, sometimes doing things like working as a tea lady or catering assistant. I think you should consider the working bit as reducing the amount of money from UK you spend rather than funding the trip. As the saying goes nothing ventured nothing gained. Go for it.

I was in a very, very similar situation, only I really love my job but 3 days before I turned 31 I applied for my visa and last week I left my job, we fly in 2 weeks. My company have said they will take me back anytime and everyone has Been hugely supportive, I was pleasantly surprised.

Its a life experience that you can't put a price on and the benefit to going when you have a nice life at home is that it's not a wrench to come back. You go, have a look around and if you like it stay, even if you don't go, would you be happy to stay in your job anyway?

What ever you do, life's too short to stay in a job you dislike and not to anything about it. I don't suggest of course just quitting and going on the dole lol you could start applying for different jobs while still in the one you have and see what options you have?

Edited by Britpop

The one thing you have to be careful of is going to Australia for one to two years, not progressing your career out there, and returning to the UK around 28/29 with your career no further forward, and possibly backwards, while your peers have continued to climb the corporate ladder. Now is probably not the best time either to give up your job and go to a country where there is not a lot of work around at the moment.

The one thing you have to be careful of is going to Australia for one to two years, not progressing your career out there, and returning to the UK around 28/29 with your career no further forward, and possibly backwards, while your peers have continued to climb the corporate ladder. Now is probably not the best time either to give up your job and go to a country where there is not a lot of work around at the moment.

this is one of my fears.

To give a bit more background: I live near Hull, one of the cities hardest hit by the recession, and a city that is geographically out on a limb. Jobs are scarce but I get paid well compared to average pay in this city. The main reason I haven't considered just changing jobs in the UK is that I would struggle to find something in and around Hull, and the next nearest places would be cities like Leeds or York that would be a considerable commute each day, and of course I would need a decent payrise to make that commuting worthwhile.

so ultimately if I did stay in the UK I'd end up selling or letting my flat, which is what I am planning to do to move to Oz anyway...so I'm thinking that even if I did go to Oz and it didn't work out, at least I'd return home with a small rental income coming in, and the 'freedom' to get a job anywhere in the UK.

Go for it! I've travelled loads and it's not harmed my career in fact I was once promoted because of the experiences I had gained from travelling! I've also done whv to oz and as long as your not fussy about work you will be fine you may even discover work you had not considered before, more importantly though go and have fun! The boring career and settling down can happen later