Do we need to renew our passports?

PeggyS

My husband and I are on the list, waiting on 804 Aged Parent visas. We have 2 sons both now Australian citizens and a grand-daughter born in Australia. Our passports are due for renewal this November, so our question is this: Are we required to keep our passports active while we wait for our sub-class 804 visa to come through, or can we let them lapse? We have absolutely no reason or desire to ever go back to the UK. Hoping someone can clarify this.

My husband and I are on the list, waiting on 804 Aged Parent visas. We have 2 sons both now Australian citizens and a grand-daughter born in Australia. Our passports are due for renewal this November, so our question is this: Are we required to keep our passports active while we wait for our sub-class 804 visa to come through, or can we let them lapse? We have absolutely no reason or desire to ever go back to the UK. Hoping someone can clarify this.

I am pretty certain that you do not need a valid UK passport to enter the UK if you are a citizen. Whether you need to keep it valid as a condition of your visa here, I do not know. I would be inclined to ask DIAC directly.

Once you are Australian citizens, you can apply for an Australian passport, but if you haven't got an Aussie passport yet, and you want to travel anywhere outside of Australia, then you would still need your British passport (with a re-entry visa for Australia.)

I have let my British passport lapse but I may renew it at some point. It's more convenient to use a British one travelling to the UK and Europe (I think?) I used to use my Aussie passport to leave and enter Australia, and my British one to enter and leave the UK.

You may have no intention of going to the UK, but things can change.