It makes me shudder!!!!!

Sapphire

I read some of the posts from Newbies coming out, and it fills me with absolute horror, that I was once in thier shoes, having to get all of the long, lists of documents together.I was just reading a post and the poster had listed all of the documentation that she had put together for her evidence,,,wow.I dont think we had that much, but I do remember it being complete overkill on what we had to send,to get our visa.

Then I read posts about people coming here ,without anywhere to stay, and having no work lined up, and it makes me shudder thinking back to when we were in that situation and how we were so blase, and we were so confident that "every-thing would be ok, once we got to Aus"

Thankfully we managed to find some accomodation and things were ok, for us,but I would not take that risk now knowing what I do now.We were so lucky, we risked everything, and it could of gone so horribly wrong, so easily.

Looking back at what we did and the risks we took, it really does fill me dread.

Does anyone else feel this when they think of the move here, and what they did?

Makes me feel the same. But then it wasn't like that for us. We were sponsored, both had good jobs lined up, 1 months paid accommodation and a relocation package! So it was relatively very easy for us, all we had to worry about was finding a rental (though that was still a bit of a struggle) and a car.

I wouldn't ever consider coming out here with PR but with no job lined up, particularly if I had children or pets or any other major responsibilities. But that's us, we hate to see money down the drain and I bet for many of these people they spend a fortune before they finally get jobs.

I guess it wasn't like that for us - we were offered an opportunity too good to miss but, no, I wouldn't be gambling everything I had on a "dream". If it wasn't a concrete opportunity I wouldn't be faffing around. What scares me more than anything is that many have no Plan B they are just seduced by the notion that they are getting Paradise on a Stick! That said, I've never been averse to a bit of adventure!

In lots of ways our return was more gambling everything on a 'dream' than our outbound trip where we were sponsored both had jobs to go to, relocation and first month accommodation paid for.

The only thing we had in place for the return was a house to live (& even that was a bit of a gamble as it depended on the tenants moving out when we gave them notice - they did!) but no jobs to pay the mortgage on the house!

I still shudder at some posts though - the blind optimism that the 'better life' (whatever that is!) in Australia will make up for any hardship they will suffer getting the visa and establishing life there. I must admit for a while I was reluctant to move back because I didn't necessarily think we'd have a 'better life' in the UK either. Life is what you make of it wherever you are and Australia certainly doesn't have any magic qualities that automatically make you happier.

It's sad knowing that probably 1 in 5 of those blind optimists (& I was once one) will crash and burn. Most of the time there is no point saying anything and everyone feeds off each other, if enough people say it, it must be true!

Without doubt we were Blind optimists , and I think looking back,,,heck we were so lucky,that we are fighters and survived to tell the tale.

So many do not, and when I think of how it could of all ended,it makes me feel physically sick.

A close friend of mine went to NZ , at the same time we came to Aus.

She brought out all of the proceeds from her house in the UK, and everything just went bad for her.She bought a house in an area, she did not know and it turned out to be a really rough area, and she lost over $100,000NZ ,when she managed to sell it after a year of trying

She had to sell all of her possessions to raise the air fare home,and they had to part with thier little dog, as they could not afford to get him home. It was truely heartbreaking

She is back in the UK, now and they survive hand to mouth,living in rented accomodation, as they will never be able to get back on the mortgage ladder, due to thier age and having nothing behind them anymore

I saw how things were for her, and I thank my lucky stars that it was not us,it happened to.

It could of so easily of been.

Its cost us a small fortune to get here and survive,but thankfully we can go home with some assets and should be ok

I will never have my beautiful house that I gave up, and never be able to afford to get back in the nice area we once lived in, but we are luckier than some, and for that we are very grateful.

Edited by Sapphire

I have been on a thread on the Perth forum and there is a family that came out on a 457 and he has lost his job as the company have gone bust. Desperately looking for a new sponsor, but it's not looking good and they sold their house and shipped everything over. Now, haven't even got the money for a flight back and are being helped with food by a charity. There going to land in the UK with a couple of young kids and be homeless. The company has not got the funds to pay their flights so may have to rely on being deported. Very sad.

That is really sad.I just think so many do not understand the implications of the situation if things turn sour, and so many seem to have this"it wont happen to me" mindset.

If we say anything, we are deemed to be negative etc,etc.Some of the posts that I read, just spell, a disaster waiting to happen.

We were naive,but I do not think we were ever as naive as some of the posters.

I have read posts where they would be happy to sleep on the beach with thier family, as long as they get to Aus!!!!.I think some of them truely belive that they would be happy doing that,and they do not need anything except sunshine!!!!

Its crazy beyond belief.

Yep. What's annoying though is when people get advice that says maybe this isn't a great plan and ignore it and when it turns sour blames everyone but themselves.

I have seen a lot of this, particularly with 457's.

Well, they do say that stupid is as stupid does! (Forrest Gump) Some people just have blinkers on - don't they "get" the gamble they are taking with their lives? Actually, on reflection their rationale often is that of the compulsive gambler and yet these same people would probably shudder at investing more that $2 on Tatts.

There are also plenty of people on forums like this who egg them on and give irresponsible "advice".

What is worse is that some of those "advisors" have never actually lived here themselves

You have hit the nail on the head there.This has been a major problem for so long now, and some times I wonder if some posters get a perverse pleasure in seeing others stuff thier lives up completely.

I have PM'd a couple of posters from the Tasmanian section now, who have been asking questions and who have been told a complete fabricated tale about how good everything is and how easily they will find work etc,etc.

I have in no uncertain terms told them, how grim things are here in Tassie and Im extremely pleased to say I think they are thinking twice now.

I sent them newspaper articles as well, so as they could see they were being misinformed.

At one point one of them was being told on the forum, that there is no crime,and you can still leave your door unlocked.At that precise time, we had just had 10 gun and knife murders in 10 days down here, and yet they were still being told how safe it is !!!!

Edited by Sapphire

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me shudder too!

But the way I see it, is if you have the 'bug' to emigrate, you need to do it yourself, to find out if its for you or not

It certainly was not for us, but having done it, we are so settled back in the UK and are no longer searching for something else, all we need is right here....At Home <3

It makes me shudder too!

But the way I see it, is if you have the 'bug' to emigrate, you need to do it yourself, to find out if its for you or not

It certainly was not for us, but having done it, we are so settled back in the UK and are no longer searching for something else, all we need is right here....At Home <3

So true!

I had the bug, now we've moved out here, we now know longer term that we'll end up home in Uk at some point, now the bug is gone and we know where we'll finally settle. Sounds stupid but now I know myself so much better, maybe I had to do the journey to get to this point. Only got to get my head down and complete 12 months work then hopefully we'll be back again. Lucky to have a strong marriage and beautiful children that have been able to deal with all the upheaval! Some of these new folk coming out will be making mistakes, some won't and will stay. When people who were encouraging us to make the move would say things like "you can't live your life for other people, you have to do whats right for you", when we were talking about missing friends, family, weddings and funerals, only the thing I now know is that those friends, family, weddings and funerals are our lives, they are part of us, and wholly ingrained.Those that are making mistakes won't know it until they are here, but only they can find out for themselves. I didn't listen to people who told me we may regret it, we came anyway, and although we have had to make it work, will be going home at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

We came not blinkered but not with rose tinted glasses on either. It from the start has been a farce for us one set back after another. But for some its a breeze and they love it here. For us after the novelty of the sun and beaches wears off there's nothing. We knew Perth was isolated but wow it certainly is a shock after a while. Hard to admit but I am bored of the place. Just so glad we didn't sell up in the UK to come here. Some areas here are nice but especially the older ones, the new ones are tin roof cities. I never in all of my couch potato life thought I would go and join a gym to try and relieve boredom my friends back home certainly have a chuckle over this! It is not an easy move and unless you try it you wont find out.

I certainly think there should be another program made in the UK to counter act Wanted Down Under interviewing people who return home. That should open a few eyes.

I just cant wait to finally set a date to move back home the wheels are in motion as they say.

There are also plenty of people on forums like this who egg them on and give irresponsible "advice".

What is worse is that some of those "advisors" have never actually lived here themselves

That winds me up!! People go there on holiday or talk to their brother in law on the phone who lives there who tells him how great it is (they would wouldn't they).