register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

dheerajkhanna

Process of Visa registration after landing in Australia

Hello All,

I have got my PR recently under 190 subclass and it is spnsored by WA. I am planning to travel to Australia in October-13 and have few clarification. I have been trying to get it from vaious forums and unable to get clear answer hence writing it here as there are so many expereince people responding here.

1. Does my port of entry need to my Visa sponsoring state only which is WA iin my case?

2. Do I need to visit immigration office after entering into Australia for completing any formalities?

3. If answer to question#2 is yes, than what all paper do I need to carry while visiting immigration office

4. I have dependents (my wife and kids) do we need to travel to immigration office in person or Is there a way I send all documents electronically to immigration office or personal appearance is needed for all Visa holders.

Kindly advise as these will be helpful for planning my trip better. I am more worried because I do have young family with me and would like to plan in advance.

Kindly guide and suggest.

Regards

Dheeraj

Simple answer.

To activate your visa you just have to enter Australia, anywhere, doesn't have to be sponsoring state. The visa is electronic and they will know you are there.

When you finally settle in the state you can fill in a form and send it to immigration, although this doesn't seem to be mandatory and is really about statistical monitoring.

No bells or whistles you just go through passport control, bit of an anticlimax TBH.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Thanks rammygirl,

This is really helpful, I have been having giddiness as not been able to get this clarity. Thanks a lot again.

When does session start for schooling any idea?

Regards

Dheeraj

Hi All

We are also activating our visa at the end of this month.....silly question and Im sure we will be told when we get there, but do we queue in the visitor or residents queue on entry to Australia the first time?

We are only there for 2 weeks to activate and are looking to return in 6 months permanently....

Thanks

Slightly off topic, but how long does it approximately take for a just arrived 190 visa holder to be able to get a job?

In other words, how long is it before all the paperwork is done after one comes to Oz ;) ?

Edited by Miroslav

IELTS 12/05/2012, SA EA 15/04/2013, WA SS 30/05/2013, EOI INVITATION 04/06/2013, VISA LODGED 17/06/2013, PC 08/07/2013, CO 16/07/2013, MEDICALS 23/07/2013 & 22/08/2013, MEDICALS CLEARED 04/09/2013, VISA GRANT 24/09/2013

Hi All

We are also activating our visa at the end of this month.....silly question and Im sure we will be told when we get there, but do we queue in the visitor or residents queue on entry to Australia the first time?

We are only there for 2 weeks to activate and are looking to return in 6 months permanently....

Thanks

There aren't visitors and residents queues.

There are queues for Australian passport holders and queues for all other passport holders.

Obviously you queue with all the others.