points for family sponsor 189 visa

maximus13

Hi everyone.

I am new to the site and hoping to get a little advice regarding the EOI form. I am not using an agent and want to make sure that I do not over claim for points. I have just sat the carpentry technical interview with VU (still waiting to hear back) and will pick up 25 points for my age (37), 20 points for English, and 15 points for my degree. Although I have at least 8 years employment history in the last 10 I do not intend to claim for these as they were pre qualification. My question is this......can I claim points for family sponsorship by my partner's brother who is an Australian citizen. My partner will be included on the visa application along with our 2 boys. If so, is there a bond which would need to be paid?

You have a few other issues - have you sat ielts and got 8's in all sections for the 20 points? Has your degree been assessed as equivalent of Australia degree so you can gain the 15 points?

There is no 189 family sponsored option only 489 provisional visa that can be family sponsored to give 10 points - but this is a 4 year provisional visa to become eligible for PR you must live and work in regional Australia for 2 years. Also the sponsor must also reside in regional Australia.

Thanks for your reply lebourvellec,

I have sat the ielts and got over 8 in each section. I have not had my degree assessed by anyone other than a couple of agents who gave me informal advice over the phone that pretty much any Honours degree from a UK University would be accepted. I have a BA(Hons) Economics and a PgCert Project Management in Construction. Do you know where I might be able to have my qualifications assessed for a reasonable price - I am reluctant to spend the $1100 for full points advice as the other points for which I am claiming (age, ielts) are clear cut.