Needed: Buying advice on cars from Pickles in Fyshwick

Maggie2012

Hello All. We were looking into buying at auction in Fyshwick. Any advice and feedback on the process? Also, Fixed price cars any good? Thanks

Any idea what you want? I can give you a rough update on faults on many vehicles. Stay well away from any Holden with the 3.6 V6 Saab engine. The timing chains stretch in as little as 100,000 kms, and you really don't want to ask how much to repair. Oh, and you have to remove half the engine, or the gearbox, if you need to get to the thermostat!!

hi I purchased at auction from them recently. process was smooth. big problem is u don't get to drive the cars and they don't come with roadworthy. thats fine if buying near new probably but always a risk. I got an older car turned out had failty speedo. cost about 800 to put right. I was keeping an eye on prices by attending a few online auctions and they didnt seem to be going for less than private sale listing values a lot of the time

Thank you for the tip on the 3.6L engine. We'd probably want a Falcon or a Commodore. something like this? http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/-/details/CP-11-08--Built-11-08--Ford--Falcon--FG-XT--Sedan--5-Seats--4-Doors/852117369

Get a gas version of that and you can't go wrong, well not much anyway. We have the earlier petrol version in a station wagon and it goes like the clappers! Might soon convert ours to gas.

Thanks. How about the Territory? Isn't that the same chassy and drivetrain?

Sort of but earlier Territories are not well built. 2WD and AWD models of course. I wouldn't mind a diesel Territory but they ain't cheap. Stay well away from man trans Series IV Pajeros, they have major driveline problems.

english "you need two new front bearing" fords

Totally different. Euro trash cars come badly undone here, particularly when they age. 'Under engineered' is probably the best way to describe them.

Totally different. Euro trash cars come badly undone here, particularly when they age. 'Under engineered' is probably the best way to describe them.

we never had problem with Fords besides fuel economy and dodgy Dealer services that they wanted to sell you on "you need two new wheel bearings" when you didn't. Up until now or Fords one design policy, cars designed in Germany (mondeos) were the best. Trucks and large cars such as the F150 and Crown Vic made in the US. Don't know about the ozzy ones though....

• 2 months later...