You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

scottishsmudge

First Post! Electrician getting leg lifted?!?

Hi,

I'm new to this and hoping to get my head straight after being bamboozled by information. Myself, my partner and 9 year old daughter are thinking of moving to Australia, if we can find our way through the mountain of emigration info. We are looking at either Victoria or NSW.

I am 30, and she is 29. I'm an SJIB graded approved electrician, and would like to continue my trade over there.

I contacted an agent for some advice and rough prices, and an extact of one of his emails is below...

We would charge you a fee of £1,850 +VAT (payable over 9 months)

Vetassess Trades is $2,200 AUD (about £1,350) paid in two installments - $600 to submit all relevant paperwork and $1,600 to do the practical test

Visa fees are $3,520 + $1,760 + $880 AUD (about £3,750)

Medical checks will cost you about £800 for the 3 of you (done here in Edinburgh)

Police checks for you and your good lady is £90

English test (www.ielts.org) is £130

So in total, you would be looking at approximately £8,500.

Does this look normal? am i getting my leg lifted???? I appreciate this may be a long process (we are looking to do it slowly and steadily over 2 years).

any helps/tips/advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't know if you are getting your leg pulled, but I do know it can be an expensive process.

Not sure about the agents fees, as we aren't using one but the costs for all the application bits and pieces look spot on. Vetasses down to Ielts.

ACS: 20/04/13 | ICAA: 04/06/13 | Applied 189: 20/06/13 | CO: ​27/08/13 | Grant: 16/10/13

That's just for starters, then you will have to get licenced!

Yep, that looks correct to me, and that agent's fees don't appear out of line to me, either. Sorry to burst your bubble, OP. This is not an inexpensive process. :(

Applied for PMV 300: 18 April 2013 (Washington, D.C.) Police Checks: Front-loaded. Medicals: 3 June 2013 Meds Referred: ? Meds Cleared: 8/2013 PMV GRANTED: 03 JAN 2014! Married: March 2014. Applied for 820: 28 April 2014. 820 GRANTED: 07 July 2014!

Good, thanks. I wasn't sure as I don't know any other electricians that have done this, so unsure of prices. I was also a little surprised about the English test?? I know I'm not from England, but being my first and only language, it could get embarrassing!

Yep, that looks correct to me, and that agent's fees don't appear out of line to me, either. Sorry to burst your bubble, OP. This is not an inexpensive process. :(

hey, thanks. It was either ask on a forum like this or get a few comparative quotes from other agents (which would take a lot more time and effort), hence I thought best to ask you wonderful people!

Hopefully someone who also applied for your same visa type can tell you for sure that those prices are pretty standard. I applied for a much different visa, and different situations sometimes bring different price tiers. But I imagine the answer is probably going to be that yes, that fee is pretty normal.

Best of luck! :)

Applied for PMV 300: 18 April 2013 (Washington, D.C.) Police Checks: Front-loaded. Medicals: 3 June 2013 Meds Referred: ? Meds Cleared: 8/2013 PMV GRANTED: 03 JAN 2014! Married: March 2014. Applied for 820: 28 April 2014. 820 GRANTED: 07 July 2014!

The only fees that do seem a little high are the Medicals, perhaps you could look down the list of Panel Doctors and make a few phone calls to see if there are any price differences. But yes, that looks fairly similar to the amount of money we've spent so far on this process (different job, but same process essentially).

I'm a chippy and have spent in the region of £7k, used an agent to get TRA but gone it alone since! Hoping to get a positive decision in the next 6-8 weeks.

IELTS sat 30/6/12 L8.5,R9,W8.5,S8.5 Ave 8.5, TRA sent 20/06/13, 1st stage assessment passed 15/07/13, 2nd stage 22/07/12 in Glasgow. TRA passed 29/07/13. EOI submitted 29/07/13, SS received 5/08/13, ITA received 08/08/13, 190 Visa applied for 14/08/13, Medicals 23/08/13, PCC uploaded 11/9/13, CO 26/9, VISA GRANTED 17/10/2013

Hi,

I'm new to this and hoping to get my head straight after being bamboozled by information. Myself, my partner and 9 year old daughter are thinking of moving to Australia, if we can find our way through the mountain of emigration info. We are looking at either Victoria or NSW.

I am 30, and she is 29. I'm an SJIB graded approved electrician, and would like to continue my trade over there.

I contacted an agent for some advice and rough prices, and an extact of one of his emails is below...

We would charge you a fee of £1,850 +VAT (payable over 9 months)

Vetassess Trades is $2,200 AUD (about £1,350) paid in two installments - $600 to submit all relevant paperwork and $1,600 to do the practical test

Visa fees are $3,520 + $1,760 + $880 AUD (about £3,750)

Medical checks will cost you about £800 for the 3 of you (done here in Edinburgh)

Police checks for you and your good lady is £90

English test (www.ielts.org) is £130

So in total, you would be looking at approximately £8,500.

Does this look normal? am i getting my leg lifted???? I appreciate this may be a long process (we are looking to do it slowly and steadily over 2 years).

any helps/tips/advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes I think it looks normal / believable. The agent fee is obviously optional, some people go it alone, but that does seem reasonable as a fee. The skills assessment cost varies by occupation, mine was I think $250, but trades skills assessments are often a lot more expensive than for us paper pusher!

Overall though, seems ok.

By the way slow and steady might not be the best approach, people do this and it drags on and requirements change. Also some things can even expire and you need to do them again if you are too slow and steady with it. Best thing is to do it quickly as possible once you have made up your mind. Short and intense effort.

The English test referred to is an easy way of gaining points, you can take a simple English literacy test for 20 points, or you could study for 7 years for Phd and that would also give you 20 points. I know which I would do. :biggrin:

Edited by Rupert

It may also be worth looking into the Electrical licence in the State your looking at for when you do get here.

Unfortunately most states wont 'straight swap' and you have to jump through a few hoops sometimes. This link will tell you a bit about the NSW system. http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tradespeople/Electricians.page?

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Not sure about the agents fees, as we aren't using one but the costs for all the application bits and pieces look spot on. Vetasses down to Ielts.

I know from talking to an agent here in Sydney that there are some really unscrupulous guys out there telling people they have global companies and are charging an absolute fortune for stuff that can get done in Australia on your behalf for the correct fees as set by the government registration board.

If these costs came from an internet company then be very careful as i nearly went down this track with one last week and after carefully checking them out found out that their addresses in all the so called "offices" (UK, Canada, Australia NZ) were simply mail forwarding and serviced office companies. One of my co-workers also suspected they were a fraud as well after they sent him their documentation which was wrong.

If you want to get details of the agent that came highly recommended here in Australia that I'm talking to then PM me. She has been terrific and seems to be very reasonable and is high up in the Migration Institute which is their association in Aus. her quote to me was over half what your saying you've been quoted.

hope it all works out

Edited by GeorgeD
Forum Rules: Removed Personal Info

Hi I am a sparky in the process to. I have done my IELTS which I pass on the second attempt scoring over 7 in each section. Make sure you revise for this. The writing will be the thing to catch you out. Skills assessment was done with future skills international. This was done over 1 day in London, half a day theory and half a day practical. This turned out to be quite easy. You will need to fill out a tradeset form to do your skills assessment. Once this is all done you will be able to fill out an EOI on the skillselect website. You just need your passport details, certificate numbers from IELTS and skills assessment. you will need to in put your employment history for the last ten years. also answer some yes/no questions. then hit submit. I got offered to apply for a 189 visa within 2 weeks of submitting EOI I only have 60 points. I am now in the process of filling out the Visa application This is near enough the same as the EOI but now you have to provide evidence. this is done online from the same website as your EOI. I looked at doing my medical but was told I could not book it until immigration had said which one I need to have done(x-rays only or both). If you want any more info on IELTS or your skills assessment then just let me know.

Yes those fees are right. The ILETS just gets you extra points for the visa. The costs are so high as they introduced all the extra visa charges on the 1st July so instead of there being one application fee, there is now a fee for each applicant (parents and each child).

For medicals we paid £250 per adult and £80 per child, but it varies from location to location. There is a thread somewhere on what people paid for medicals at different locations, which was very interesting.

If you are looking for help applying to a job, writing a CV, cover letter or answering selection criteria, contact the experts at www.fremantlehr.com.au.

Based in Perth and helping clients worldwide to get the job they want in the company they want.

The only fees that do seem a little high are the Medicals, perhaps you could look down the list of Panel Doctors and make a few phone calls to see if there are any price differences. But yes, that looks fairly similar to the amount of money we've spent so far on this process (different job, but same process essentially).

There is only one place in Scotland that you can do the medicals at Spire Shawfair Park - and the fees are about right. Next place would be Manchester.