Cost of living

Sapphire

Yep, I hate my fortnightly shop which is for me and my partner and it's $450. I know things go up in price over time, but it just seems excessively so, and yet when I was in the UK, I couldn't believe how cheap everything was compared to Oz. My shop was much less factoring exchange rate, not to mention the variety and quality in the UK being so much better. I can't wait to get back (early next year), but saving money is Oz is a nightmare when it goes out your bank account faster than it goes in.

Thats why its taken so long for us, to get home, we just constantly seem to be paying bills and we have often said for every $100 that goes into our bank, treble comes out in bills.It has been a nightmare, trying to save money.

I just buy the basics that I can in the supermarket, we never do a big shop now,I really dislike going to the supermarket. I used to enjoy it in the UK, as there was always a good choice, and we did a big weekly shop, and got everything we needed.

I refuse to eat, crappy value bread, and was horrified the other day, when I saw that Coles were charging $5.25 for a loaf of Abbots Wholemeal.How can they justify it, it is just one big rip off.

Beer, is so expensive and tasted shitte as well......

Our postie was telling us, that he delivers so many cartons of Boags,to customers in Tassie.They can buy it cheaper on the mainland and get it delivered to Tassie,for less money than it costs to buy here,,,,,and its made in Tassie.How crazy is that?

I will never forget my Hubbys face when he got his first carton in Aus,,,and said How Much!!!!!

• 3 months later...
Eating out in Aus has to be one of the worst experiences i had in australia. Appart from the mediocre food, extortionate, prices, sterile ambiance.

:laugh:

To be fair, could you be more specific about where you are, rather than tarring every Australian with the same brush? I agree there are parts of Australia where eating out is expensive, but I've lived in Sydney for a long time, and every time I go back to the UK for a holiday I'm shocked at the cost of restaurant food. Whereas in the inner suburbs of Sydney, competition is intense and it's possible to eat out very cheaply and the variety is great - Thai, Italian, Indian, Vietnamese, Nepalese, Greek, the list goes on. It's one of the things I worry about if we go ahead with our plans to move back to the UK - we eat out a lot and that may have to stop.

However I'm really encouraged by all the information about how cheap other stuff is. On holiday you don't get much idea of things like supermarket food or heating bills.

Edited by Marisawright

To be fair, could you be more specific about where you are, rather than tarring every Australian with the same brush? I agree there are parts of Australia where eating out is expensive, but I've lived in Sydney for a long time, and every time I go back to the UK for a holiday I'm shocked at the cost of restaurant food. Whereas in the inner suburbs of Sydney, competition is intense and it's possible to eat out very cheaply and the variety is great - Thai, Italian, Indian, Vietnamese, Nepalese, Greek, the list goes on. It's one of the things I worry about if we go ahead with our plans to move back to the UK - we eat out a lot and that may have to stop.

However I'm really encouraged by all the information about how cheap other stuff is. On holiday you don't get much idea of things like supermarket food or heating bills.

We have found eating out in Aus, very expensive.Tassie is crazy for eating out prices and we do not have a great deal of Indian or Chinese food here, and what there is is absolutey evil

Sydney was better, but still far more expensive than what we used to eat out for in the UK

I find eating out in the UK, really cheap

There are so many places to choose from

We dont go for "a la carte" resturants, we dont really like them TBH,but would prefer a nice Indian meal or a Harvester,or just a really nice cosy pub, and have always found prices alot less than here in Aus