Cost of living

Sapphire

I know it has been discussed on the main forum a million times, but it still beggars belief when you look at some of the prices here for the basics.

I never fail to be "gob-smacked" by the inflated prices we have to pay for basic items here.

It seems to be everything now, whether it be household goods, Utilites, or just the basic essentials in the supermarkets.

People keep raving about how cheap the Veggie sheds are, and I have been a couple of times in the past and TBH, not been terribly impressed.But yesterday I thought I would pop in to our local one in sheer desperation to try and find something other than Oranges/Bananas or powdery Apples, or Black Strawberries.

They had some nectarines,,,,ok, that would be nice.I know they are out of season,so I knew they would be expensive, but I was gobsmacked when I got to the till with 6, and they were $10.95,,,,OMG

How can they justify these prices.

My washing liquid has gone up $10 in the last week in Coles and they have shrunk the bottle from 100 washes to 80.

What do you do though, you have to buy things,Im just so sick of these prices.

I cant wait to see Asda and Tesco again.

Tell me about it. We like to buy our meat from a butcher and in the UK we went to a particular butcher that sold a lot of game and organic / local / free range meat. That is very hard to source here, but we have found somewhere. But wow is it expensive. To give an example, one of my favourite sunday roasts is a bit of a treat even in the UK - a rib of beef. Basically the scotch fillet on the bone. Now we used to have to pay up to 30 pounds for a small joint. Guess how much i ws charged in Perth earlier this year?

$380

Couldnt believe it.

Its not just groceries its the cost of living in general. Electricity bills alone have doubled in just a few years its shocking:elvis:

New analysis of Australian Bureau of Statistics data, by the free market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs, reveals the increase in electricity prices in capital cities between 2005 and 2010:

Sydney 61.3%

Melbourne 56.8%

Brisbane 50.7%

Canberra 45.9%

Darwin 35.9%

Perth 35.8%

Adelaide 16.0%

VAT is about double GST.

i can't think of anything else that is cheaper in Oz.......I don't know average pay in UK, does anyone know how it compares to OZ?

According to the OCD Household income and financial wealth In Australia, the average household net-adjusted disposable income is 28 884 USD a year, more than the OECD average of 23 047 USD a year. But there is a considerable gap between the richest and poorest – the top 20% of the population earn six times as much as the bottom 20%.

In the Uk its In the United Kingdom, the average household net-adjusted disposable income is 26 904 USD a year.

So its just under US$2000 a year more in Australia. Not much to get exited about really.

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/australia/

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/united-kingdom/

Tell me about it. We like to buy our meat from a butcher and in the UK we went to a particular butcher that sold a lot of game and organic / local / free range meat. That is very hard to source here, but we have found somewhere. But wow is it expensive. To give an example, one of my favourite sunday roasts is a bit of a treat even in the UK - a rib of beef. Basically the scotch fillet on the bone. Now we used to have to pay up to 30 pounds for a small joint. Guess how much i ws charged in Perth earlier this year?

$380

Couldnt believe it.

Oh my gosh! $380?!!!

I think the meat and veg cost here in Melbourne is comparable to the UK. Seafood is very expensive tho.

What we have found really expensive are insurance, road tax and books.

I keep giggling at how cheap things are, it's unreal. Of course I'm spending money earnt in Aussie $ at the moment and I do keep reminding my OH our income won't be quite as high but even when you take that into account most things are cheaper. Wine is one area we are spending more and I've noticed a few things comparable but overall everything is cheaper. I'm spending no more on fuel although peak train fares have been a shocker!

In Perth I never drew out less than $100 as 'petty cash' and that'd last a week usually, I drew out £50 probably a month ago and ran out today (& that was after my OH had raided my purse!) - I only drew out £20 today, £50 seemed too much.

Of course the big difference is a £400 a month mortgage over a $3500 a month mortage! The houses aren't comparable though- but I'm actually happier with my house here!

Its not just groceries its the cost of living in general. Electricity bills alone have doubled in just a few years its shocking:elvis:

I found an old electric bill for a 4 bed /2 bath house that we lived in when we first arrived.It was $272, for the winter quarter.

Now I am in a 2 bed, 13 sq,unit,and my winter quarter bill was $784.

Everyone moans in the UK, Gas and Electric prices, they want to try living here :mad:

I keep giggling at how cheap things are, it's unreal. Of course I'm spending money earnt in Aussie $ at the moment and I do keep reminding my OH our income won't be quite as high but even when you take that into account most things are cheaper. Wine is one area we are spending more and I've noticed a few things comparable but overall everything is cheaper. I'm spending no more on fuel although peak train fares have been a shocker!

In Perth I never drew out less than $100 as 'petty cash' and that'd last a week usually, I drew out £50 probably a month ago and ran out today (& that was after my OH had raided my purse!) - I only drew out £20 today, £50 seemed too much.

Of course the big difference is a £400 a month mortgage over a $3500 a month mortage! The houses aren't comparable though- but I'm actually happier with my house here!

Drawing out cash here, it just vanishes.I remember when we first arrived and we drew out cash, we would have to get some more by lunchtime, after we had paid $30 each for a breakfast,and got a few bits and bobs

We just thought we were unorganised ,but when I look back, we spent so much when we arrived just trying to survive, and pay for accomodation and food.

I much prefer the UK homes, they feel like proper homes, all snug and warm, whereas the houses here to me, feel like characterless boxes.

Petrol is cheaper but most people do more miles and have gas guzzler cars so for a lot of people its actually more expensive to run a car.

It always makes me giggle when you read on the main forum about fuel being cheap.Yes it is cheaper, but like you say, you have to do far more driving and so many cars are gas guzzlers.

I can blow a tank of fuel just running about from A-B,and when I look at the KM's I clock up, in a day, its quite amazing.

Eating out as well. Feck that annoys me. Wasnt to bad in Sydney, but Perth is a shocker. Quality poor and prices that make you wince. The last time we did a fine dining meal in Perth is was close to $250 each and it was not that great.

We were looking for somewhere half decent for chrsistmas and the prices are a shocker. Very nearly booked to go back to the UK and do this

http://www.talbotmalton.co.uk/pages/christmas-and-new-year/christmas-packages

$760, but with 3 nights acommodation and most meals and things it is abargain compared to Perth and i know the food is excellent

Meals out are, dreadful here.Theres no choice,and it is so expensive.

We have to pay posh resturant prices here, for really crappy food, in places that , if I were in the UK, I would not step in the door as they look so grotty, and the locals rave over some of the places like you would not believe.

We went to a Mexican place a few months back, on recommendation that it was amazing,and we paid over $100 each, which I know by Perth standards is probably cheap, but we were horrified at the food.There was nothing for me, as I dont eat meat, so rather than have to sit there with nothing, I opted for a Tortilla stack,this consisted of 1 round Tortilla ,about the size of a saucer, with a chilli mince mix on it and a blob of sour cream.It was tasteless.

Hubby had a steak and a beer, and all that was on the plate was a steak and a tiny bit of salad.

He had a beer and I had a soda water,,and that came to just over $200.

Eating out in Aus has to be one of the worst experiences i had in australia. Appart from the mediocre food, extortionate, prices, sterile ambiance.. the way the staff hover over you to clear the table as soon as your eating your last morsel so they can close up and go home.... no chance of a few more glasses of wine, a liqueur on the house perhaps?

Eating out in Aus usually involves a shopping mall food hall (I kid you not!) weekends you can see lots of groups done up to the nines and sitting down to a $8 plate of sweet n sour pork balls in westfield mall.

:laugh:

Eating out in Aus has to be one of the worst experiences i had in australia. Appart from the mediocre food, extortionate, prices, sterile ambiance.. the way the staff hover over you to clear the table as soon as your eating your last morsel so they can close up and go home.... no chance of a few more glasses of wine, a liqueur on the house perhaps?

Eating out in Aus usually involves a shopping mall food hall (I kid you not!) weekends you can see lots of groups done up to the nines and sitting down to a $8 plate of sweet n sour pork balls in westfield mall.

You are soooo right,,,,Here they do the food mall eat out, if its a really special occasion, but Friday night is the family night out, and if you drive past McDonalds,,,it is rammed.They have a family night out,in there and we have heard so many people say, its the place to go on a Friday night for a slap up meal...Heaven forbid.

ha ha so true.. They love a cheap tacky food hall.. Edited by paul1977

• 1 month later...

Yep, I hate my fortnightly shop which is for me and my partner and it's $450. I know things go up in price over time, but it just seems excessively so, and yet when I was in the UK, I couldn't believe how cheap everything was compared to Oz. My shop was much less factoring exchange rate, not to mention the variety and quality in the UK being so much better. I can't wait to get back (early next year), but saving money is Oz is a nightmare when it goes out your bank account faster than it goes in.

Twice recently I've been tempted to have coffee + cake -$25 for two, nothing special. My real challenge at the moment is finding a holiday destination that is cheaper to get to from Australia than from the UK. Hubby wants to go to Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos partly cos we're 'so much nearer here' . We're going to have to wait to get back to the UK, flights are so much cheaper. I think we're going to go on holiday to NZ. That is cheaper from Aus at the moment but not sure how long it will remain so. Mind you, I've seen fly/drive inclusive deals to QLD from UK including flights that aren't much cheaper here. It's bonkers. There must be some financial algorithm out there working out the mark up for people living in Oz. I'm actually really over it now!

My friend is coming out for a month in December, he paid £832 which is $1419 dollars, I went on sky scanner put in the same flights but paying for it in australia with Australian dollars and i was quoted $3052 for

Exactly the same flight, same time, same route.. Now tell me they don't rip

you off down under

Edited by paul1977

Ohhh. Don't talk to me about flights. Internal can be a joke. I have been charged more for a flight to Kalgoorlie from Perth than I have for a flight from Perth to London.

My company pay nearly $10k for my return flight to Perth. But booking it in the UK for same flight would be $3500.