Hi

Has anyone got a good link or an example of a good Aussie style Resume - I have trawled lots of sites and there are so many variations. I have heard employers are particular in having an "Aussie Style Resume" over a "typical British one" so can anyone shed some light on what a Aussie one looks like? Thanks x

Academic IELTS R8.5, L8.5, W8, S9 (14/03/15) ANMAC sent 31/04/15, LOD 27/07/15 AHPRA sent 20/05/15, board 01/10/15

EOI 29/07/15 ITA 03/08/15 189 Visa submitted 04/08/15 PC05/08/2015 MEDS 18/09/15 CO 21/09/15

Only the wise can dance the rhythm of life...:wubclub:

They look the same, this Aussie resume stuff is nonsense. I have never heard anyone say it other than potential British migrants on Internet forums. A good CV is a good CV. My Australian one mentions my visa status but is otherwise identical.

Brilliant!! :laugh: Thank you - now I don't feel like I am missing something - I was looking at them thinking..."how are they different??":err:

TVM for clearing it up

Academic IELTS R8.5, L8.5, W8, S9 (14/03/15) ANMAC sent 31/04/15, LOD 27/07/15 AHPRA sent 20/05/15, board 01/10/15

EOI 29/07/15 ITA 03/08/15 189 Visa submitted 04/08/15 PC05/08/2015 MEDS 18/09/15 CO 21/09/15

Only the wise can dance the rhythm of life...:wubclub:

The only thing I changed is mentioning the age that I did my exams (O and A levels, ie 16 and 18) in case the recipient was not familiar with them but it is the same as the one I've always had.

Only difference I noted once was that my CV was 3 pages and despite me having 10+ years more experience, my aussie mate had 5 pages on his!!!I did suggest he cut his down but I think that is just good practice.

If I can hijack this thread a little because it is closely related; can anyone recommend an experienced person in writing good resumes? I am in the middle of doing one for my aussie friend but between one thing and another, progress has been slower than I had wished and it might be better for her sake if I get it done sooner rather than later.

In my experience the typical Australian resume is pages long compared to the 'recommended' 2 pages for a CV in the UK. As a recruiting manager I have often had to defend British applicants and persuade my manager that my decision to interview them was right when they would have rejected them outright for presenting so little in their resume.

It is probably a case of Australia being behind the UK in their thinking and to be fair my managers were heading towards retirement. The way I dealt with it was to effectively have a 1 page summary and then several more pages with detailed responsibilities and achievements in each role.

When I was applying for a job in Australia a friend lent me this book and it was invaluable (I got the job and a $30k pay rise :)) http://writeawinningjobapplication.com.au/the-book/ - I have recommended it to several people since and everyone has found it useful.

Another thing to be aware of is 'letters of application' are still the norm and this is more than 'I would like to apply for position blah,blah,blah please find my resume attached' it is essentially your opportunity to pitch why you should be given the job. Sometimes it says it is optional - it isn't!

I did a 1 day Resume/Interview course with a consultancy and had my UK CV pulled to bits - a worthwhile process for sure but probably quite pricey (it provided by my employer)

This is purely my experience/opinion and it will vary a lot from industry to industry I'm sure - I'm an IT Manager and spent 4 years in public service, 1 as a contractor in Perth.

My friends Aussie resume was 11 pages! (experienced contractor) while mine is 2 pages. So I've wondered the same!

But I've still been told 2-4 pages by the agents I use. I've also been told 2 pages max is best by others. Depends on the job, person, experience etc. Sadly there is little way to know.

True dat egrek. Some recruiters spend on average 6 seconds per CV ( Europe, Americas ? ), but the Australian ones must be spending 3-4 minutes if you ask me.

28-year-old Hungarian national maybe heading to Perth. | IELTS can shove it by the way. L8.5 R9 W7.5 S6.5 (Remark negative) | IELTS is corrupt (listen to audio): http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/language-barriers/2948964