Sign in to follow this  
Guest kylee1

Anyone heading to Cairns??

Guest kylee1

Hi All,

I dont see Cairns come up very often on the forums. Is anyone heading out there?

Or has anyone already moved out to Cairns and what do you think?

Myself and my OH - Damian (Carpenter) are thinking of moving there next year. We have a 3 week holiday there in October.

Thanks, Kylee

Guest Mrs C

Hi kylee,

We are flying out to Cairns on 2nd September, but only for a holiday. My cousin has lived there for about 20 years and loves the place, She say's house prices are really low at the moment!

but we want to live on Sunshine coast.

good luck

April

Guest lisaallen67

Hi,

Me and my husband lived in Cairns for 3 years and absolutely loved it. We lived in Palm cove which is about 25mins north. there are lots of northern beach suburbs which are nice to live in - trinity beach, kewarra beach are two. some are better than others. There are also loads of suburbs closer to town which are nice. Check them out though as you would everywhere. When we lived there there were just the two of us and we had a great time. I am a teacher and found work easily. My husband took a break from his usual slog and worked in tourism which is huge there. He had no experience but was offered more than one job and he ended up loving it. Pay wasn't great though but it was a change for him for a few years. We now have a daughter who will be 3 in Aug and we are heading back around Oct this year. We have chosen sunshine/gold coast area this time mainly due to choice of schooling. Loads of primary in Cairns but not too many secondary if you arent Catholic or practising /christians. Further south has more non-denominational schools. Not sure if you care about this but is something to consider. Also Cairns has a very transient, tourist population and we wanted more residential now whe have someone else to consider.

If you want any more info. just ask.

Go for it - Lisa

Guest wardy

There a few secondary schools that aren't just faith schools at high school level.

Theres Cairns High, and in the northern suburbs alone Smithfield, Trinity, Redlynch all with expat conmmunities based around them.

There is a large expat community in Cairns, unfortunately not too many on this forum, but on here there are a few.

Look out for alsyon, stu:o off the top of my head.

Cairns is becoming more popular with people moving from other parts of Australia because they dont have the drought problems like the rest of the country.

Work still seems to be plentiful especially for tradies we were/are looking to be in the northern suburbs of Kewarra/Trinity Beach, but wanted to be in the catchement of a particular school because it offers what the kids want.

Good luck Cairns is a great choice