Baggage Allowance Singapore Airlines

Kentclan

Oh great!

Yep, it's very scary!! I've been so excited the last few months and only now is the nerves kicking in!!

:-/

Have you been before?

Nervous is a very polite word for how I'm feeling! No we've never been before. I don't know if we're brave or stupid! Only one way to find out!.............

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me either! Never been! It's just one big adventure!! So I keep telling my kids! Haha

Haha that's exactly what I tell mine! And myself! There again life is one big adventure. It's for living and what's life without risk? You only get one chance! If it doesn't work out we can always come back :cute: x

Haha that's exactly what I tell mine! And myself! There again life is one big adventure. It's for living and what's life without risk? You only get one chance! If it doesn't work out we can always come back :cute: x

How old are your kids? I've got 2 boys 13 & 11.

Your right about life is for living!!!! :-) x

How old are your kids? I've got 2 boys 13 & 11.

Your right about life is for living!!!! :-) x

We have a daughter who is almost 10 and a son who is 5 so they'll both be in full time school. Hoping to get them in for the new term in Feb. It's probably one of my main worries to be honest! Just want to get them in and settled, a bit of normality! I'm sure you feel the same x

We have a daughter who is almost 10 and a son who is 5 so they'll both be in full time school. Hoping to get them in for the new term in Feb. It's probably one of my main worries to be honest! Just want to get them in and settled, a bit of normality! I'm sure you feel the same x

Yeah, I've been touch with the local high school & primary school re enrolment.

The schools have been really helpful.

I'm not looking forward to the school fees but I'm gona apply for PR visa ASAP.

What does your hubby do?

Yeah, I've been touch with the local high school & primary school re enrolment.

The schools have been really helpful.

I'm not looking forward to the school fees but I'm gona apply for PR visa ASAP.

What does your hubby do?

I never considered that as I'd heard they're not really interested until you arrive. Might give it a go. Thanks.

That's our plan too if we like it and know we want to settle.

He works in construction as a ceiling fixer. He's already got some contacts lined up so hoping his work will be fine too but need to get kids sorted first so we can organise childcare to fit in with it all.

How about your hubby?

It appears we have taken over this thread! haha :laugh:

I never considered that as I'd heard they're not really interested until you arrive. Might give it a go. Thanks.

That's our plan too if we like it and know we want to settle.

He works in construction as a ceiling fixer. He's already got some contacts lined up so hoping his work will be fine too but need to get kids sorted first so we can organise childcare to fit in with it all.

How about your hubby?

It appears we have taken over this thread! haha :laugh:

Yeah I know haha! Think I'll send u private message!

:-)

I'd contact the schools now defo, they sent me the necessary forms to complete and I just need to pop in for visit and interview with principle once I arrive.

:-) x

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this thread for anyone looking at flying Singapore Airlines for the extra baggage - I've just spoken to their customer services team and they said that there is some discretion (and apparently they have set criteria) to offer additional baggage for Economy class ticket holders travelling on migrant visas (which would now bring the 30kg standard up to 40kg) BUT there is NO additional allowance for people travelling business class, so if you're thinking of flying business class to get the extra baggage, I would check on wither you can get the same on an economy ticket first. My argument that I spent 3 times the amount on a business class flight to get the same allowance as people in economy was "understood" but made no difference! I'm travelling on a 457, so a perm visa may have made a difference but who knows.

I would have flown business class regardless as it's covered by my company's travel policy, but I would have thought for a flight that cost nearly £4000 they could have chucked me an extra 10kg of luggage!

I'll probably take a few extra kilos anyway and just ditch stuff with my parents if they decide to charge me at the airport (knowing my luck they'll have flagged me up as wanting to sneak extra luggage through)- their excess baggage from the UK is an extortionate US$70 per kilo (currently about £43) so no way I'm paying for the extra. Looks like I'll be needing that air freight after all!

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this thread for anyone looking at flying Singapore Airlines for the extra baggage - I've just spoken to their customer services team and they said that there is some discretion (and apparently they have set criteria) to offer additional baggage for Economy class ticket holders travelling on migrant visas (which would now bring the 30kg standard up to 40kg) BUT there is NO additional allowance for people travelling business class, so if you're thinking of flying business class to get the extra baggage, I would check on wither you can get the same on an economy ticket first. My argument that I spent 3 times the amount on a business class flight to get the same allowance as people in economy was "understood" but made no difference! I'm travelling on a 457, so a perm visa may have made a difference but who knows.

I would have flown business class regardless as it's covered by my company's travel policy, but I would have thought for a flight that cost nearly £4000 they could have chucked me an extra 10kg of luggage!

I'll probably take a few extra kilos anyway and just ditch stuff with my parents if they decide to charge me at the airport (knowing my luck they'll have flagged me up as wanting to sneak extra luggage through)- their excess baggage from the UK is an extortionate US$70 per kilo (currently about £43) so no way I'm paying for the extra. Looks like I'll be needing that air freight after all!

Hey AMy

good tip, we will prob fly SA but if we can bump up liggage to 40kg that would be amazing..I wonder if we need to book direct or we can ask for thios through a travel agent? I uslaly book through trailfinders so will ask them when looking for the flights.

4K for your flight good job your company are paying!!! Economy at the mo is only 650 ow...im hoping it stays that way too..

Hey AMy

good tip, we will prob fly SA but if we can bump up liggage to 40kg that would be amazing..I wonder if we need to book direct or we can ask for thios through a travel agent? I uslaly book through trailfinders so will ask them when looking for the flights.

4K for your flight good job your company are paying!!! Economy at the mo is only 650 ow...im hoping it stays that way too..

You just email them once you've booked. Doesn't matter if it's direct or via a travel agent. Send them your visa proof and they confirm the excess. Print off a copy to take with you to show check in if they question it.

Don't forget it's for unvalidated PR visas only. A few lucky temp visa people get it but they do tend to refuse them more often than not.

Hi Kez,

They don't always offer it on 457's - it's "discretionary" but I certainly got the impression that had I been flying economy they probably would have given me the extra (just lay it on thick with the "I know it's technically a temp visa but I'm moving my whole life and it is a one way ticket") I think you have to contact the airline direct to get the additional allowance. I emailed them and got a surprisingly unfriendly response so I called them to beg instead! The guy on the phone was very polite and even checked with a supervisor, but the answer was still a resounding no! I wouldn't bank on getting it, but it's definitely worth a crack!

Yeah, if I'd personally forked out that much for the flight and not got the additional allowance I would be seething! It went up from £2500 on the Thursday morning to over £3500 by Friday lunchtime, and there are still plenty of seats available so it's kind of annoying! My friend reckons they use tracking software and bump up the prices when they know people are looking at them a lot - how rude!

They are a really good airline otherwise though, I'll be flying with them a lot from Melbourne to our Singapore office so hoping I'll have enough frequent flyer miles to get a decent flight back to the UK when I decide it's time to visit! :-)

Take it you've had no word on the visa grant yet?? Still keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thx Amy...Ah I've heard they do that my bf keeps telling me to stop looking at flights as 'they' know and track?!?! I'll try for bigger luggage nothing to lose! Still no news it's been two weeks today did you see wombat got his in just under 3 weeks so I'm hoping we get same luck! Emailing MA today just in case she has any updates.

• 8 months later...
Is it possible to purchase extra baggage with Singapore airlines? I want to take two large suitcases. I no you can with qantas but I find singapore airlines are much cheaper

Iirc their excess baggage rates are listed on their website. It ain't cheap.

They do 30kg as standard now though.

Yes, but don't forget that most cases weigh >3kg, So more cases means less available weight to fill them.

True.

I found a huge holdall that when crammed full was 30kg all up. Was massive but meant only one bag.

Hi Folks,

OH found this thread earlier and i've read most of it, but was wondering if the extra baggage allowances were still applicable, as the thread started last year. Flights booked are with Singapore airlines for OH in Jan, currently with 30kgs, but i'm flying with Qantas with 1 leg on a partner flight with Emirates (Dubai to Brisbane). Again baggage allowance currently at 30kgs. Couldn't see anything on the Singapore airlines website and haven't looked at Qantas, as yet.. Any current info greatly appreaciated.. Cheers All.. :chatterbox:

Edited to add webpage; The Qantas web page below seems to indicate a 40 kg allowance for unused visas to Aus and NZ, but the visa categories they state doesn't have the 189 PR that I have.. Is this out of date does anyone think? Does anyone recognise the visa numbers as PR visas previous to the current 189 and 190 visas etc? Thanks again.. :confused:

[h=1]Qantas Migrant Fares from the United Kingdom[/h]

12Share on emailShare on printShare on favorites

img_reclining_150x150.jpg

Eligible holders of migrant visas to Australia and New Zealand can take advantage of Qantas migrant fares.*

With the Qantas migrant fare, you can benefit from:

• one way Economy fares to Australia and New Zealand,
  • baggage allowance of up to 40 kilos per person,*
  • one way Premium Economy and Business fares to Australia.

For more information, contact your local Qantas office.

Fares and baggage allowance only permitted to those in possession of the following unused visa types

- to Australia: Temporary Business Long Stay – Standard Business Sponsorship (subclass 457), Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422), Educational visa (subclass 418), Investor Retirement (subclass 405), Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 121/856), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 119/857), Spouse Permanent Visa (subclass 100), Contributory Parent (subclass 143), Skilled Independent (subclass 175) & Skilled sponsored (subclass 475/136/138); and

- to New Zealand: Skilled migrant visa, LBTV visa, Investor Visa, Work to residence visa and temporary work visa. Note visas will be verified at check in, excess baggage fees may apply if above criteria is not fulfilled.

Valid on Qantas operated services only from London Heathrow to Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington and Queenstown. Premium Economy and Business fares not available to New Zealand.

All fares are subject to availability.

Children and Infants discounts apply on international routes.

Rebooking: date changes permitted at £100 per change within the travel period and are subject to a local service fee.

Rerouting: £100 per reroute and subject to a local service fee.

Cancellations: before departure a cancellation fee of £300 applies. Once travel has commenced, no refund.

Service fees apply to both e-tickets and paper tickets.

Edited by Nearlythere1
Added Qantas web page info

Hi. I am flying with Singapore in a couple of weeks. I emailed the web enquiry and they have confirmed new migrants have 40kg each full seat paying passenger. Only clauses are you must not have activated your visa and u need to check in at the airport where they will check your visa! Simple as! :-)

Hi. I am flying with Singapore in a couple of weeks. I emailed the web enquiry and they have confirmed new migrants have 40kg each full seat paying passenger. Only clauses are you must not have activated your visa and u need to check in at the airport where they will check your visa! Simple as! :-)

Hi Kelly Do you still have the email address as I am having trouble finding this on the website?? I am flying with Singapore on December 1st!!