Baggage Allowance Singapore Airlines

Kentclan

Hi, I'm flying with Singapore Airlines Economy in a couple of weeks time, to eventually be reunited with my husband who left 4 weeks ago ( we've had a nightmare renting out the house).

My e ticket states 20kg baggage allowance, I am on my husbands 457 visa.

Does anyone know if I will get double allowance (40kg) ?

Thanks Emma

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your visa is a temp visa then no, you most likely won't qualify for the extra 20kg as a migrant. They only count permanent unvalidated visas when it comes to migrating. Temp visas are seen as temp, not migrating. Plus you have to be on a one way ticket.

You can email and ask, include your visa grant and ask but don't expect. If you get the extra, bonus, if not, not much more to be done.

I got given the double baggage allowance and sent them my visa grant which stated it was a permanent visa and I said I was on a one way flight on an unvalidated perm visa. They said I was eligible provided my visa tallied up when I checked in.

Guest scrumpy

Dose it make a differnece with Singapore airlines, as we are flying out on Sept 3rd with them on a PR??

We were led to believe it was just Quantas that offered the 40kg

If anyone can enlighten me it would be a great help,

Cheers

PS Sorry Kentclan for deviating from your post

Dose it make a differnece with Singapore airlines, as we are flying out on Sept 3rd with them on a PR??

Cheers

Pretty certain Qantas doesn't offer anything extra unless you've booked a (expensive) migrant fare ticket.

Hi, I'm flying with Singapore Airlines Economy in a couple of weeks time, to eventually be reunited with my husband who left 4 weeks ago ( we've had a nightmare renting out the house).

My e ticket states 20kg baggage allowance, I am on my husbands 457 visa.

Does anyone know if I will get double allowance (40kg) ?

Thanks Emma

I agree with all the others, you won't get double allowance on a 457.

Cheers

No Singapore defo do, we had it , to Kent clan I was also told its only PR unvalidated that get it.

Cheers

If you are flying all the way on Qantas flights they do an extra bag per person for a cheap price iirc. Have to book this online in advance iirc, about $100 a bag last time I looked.

Check their website.

Cheers

I'm flying with Singapore airlines on the 3rd also but from Paris. Was told by London I would get 40kgs on a one way unvalidated visa but Paris don't dot his as routine and would only accommodate 30kgs. But yes if you ask you'll def get it

Scrumpy, you mean you are flying Singapore airlines? If you have unvalidated permanent visas and are flying one way, email them with your visa grant, flight ref and so on and you should get double allowance for those with correct visa etc.

Guest scrumpy

Cheers everyone,an un-validated PR visa dose get you an additional 20Kg, on a one way flight with Singapore airlines

Thanks again

Edited by scrumpy

Guest scrumpy

I just rang them and they asked if it was a one way flight, but then again thats not to say its not done on a return as there wasnt a need to ask.

My fault. For some reason it stuck in my head it had to be one way but I do recall some using it on validation trip.

Although SA's policy is to only give the extra baggage allowance for permanent visas, they did give us a double baggage allowance on our 457 when we explained our situation.

I think there is discretion given to their agents to consider each situation on its merits.

My daughter was able to pay for an extra bag with BA when she came over. From memory I thought it was quite reasonably priced.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, think it depends if you have already entered Australia on your visa. We just experienced this dilemma. Because we had already entered Australia to activate our visas we missed the boat on the double luggage allowance on this permanent entry. However, I told Singapore air that I preferred to fly with them but was considering flying with Emirates as they offered 30 kilo as standard, Singapore air agreed to give me the 30 kilo per person. Give it a try they may offer you a bit more. good luck Mandy

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

Just to update you I am now in Australia!!! (Arrived Saturday night)

I originally phoned Singapore Airlines to see if I could get baggage allowance of 40 kg and they said NO, not on a 457 visa.

So I wrote a nice email, explaining that 20kg was just not enough because as far as i was concerned, we were emigrating.

I received an email back saying that they would allow me 30 kgs which in the end was enough, as my suitcase would not have closed!!!

I took photocopies of the reply email when I checked in, but they didn't even question it!

Emma

We are flying on 30 dec on un-validated PR visas and singapore airlines have confirmed via email that we will have 60kg per person. Our normal baggage allowance is 30kgs per person normally but on pr visa it will be doubled.

We are looking at using Singapore Airlines for our flight. Did you contact a particular email address to request the extra allowance.

We are looking at using Singapore Airlines for our flight. Did you contact a particular email address to request the extra allowance.

I just went to their website and got the UK contact email and sent to that. Included the flight info, visa grant letter (stating it was an unlvaidated PR) and so on. Got a reply within a few days.

FWIW, you can only request the migrant allowance once you've booked your flight.

Economy is 20kg standard, so double would give you 40kg. The person above looks like they fly business to get 30kg.

I just went to their website and got the UK contact email and sent to that. Included the flight info, visa grant letter (stating it was an unlvaidated PR) and so on. Got a reply within a few days.

FWIW, you can only request the migrant allowance once you've booked your flight.

Economy is 20kg standard, so double would give you 40kg. The person above looks like they fly business to get 30kg.

Thanks Snifter, will look at this soon. Have been trying to get some info from IOM but can't seem to get a reply so may have to go it alone,