Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - Moving to Australia

rahalroxz

Hello

I'm new to this forum & please excuse me if I'm posting something discussed earlier.

I'm a Sri Lankan citizen. I've completed my higher studies in UK in the field of EASA Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Engineering ( B1 Mechanical). This is not a degree however the main requirement to obtain the Aircraft Engineer's Licence. The certificate is issued and recognized by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and after minimum of 2 year of work experience I'll be eligible to apply for the Aircraft Engineers Licence.

Currently I'm working at Sri Lankan airlines as an aircraft technician. I've now gained work experience of 1 year.

Here's the matter ..... I was so interested to move to Australia after I got sufficient work experience. However unfortunately the New SOL does not consist Aircraft Maintenance Engineering.

I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me about the other options available to me to move to Australia once I've gained enough experience.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi rahalroxz,

Why don't use discuss your case with a migration agent in Sri lanka who has MARA license. These people are authorized since they hold the valid license and on your behalf they can apply for you and also give you the latest info and can guide you and tell you your available options.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Hi rahalroxz,

Why don't use discuss your case with a migration agent in Sri lanka who has MARA license. These people are authorized since they hold the valid license and on your behalf they can apply for you and also give you the latest info and can guide you and tell you your available options.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Shugah, Thank you for your reply

I know it's the best option. But I have to be very careful when finding an agent. hope you can understand what I'm trying to say

That's why I'm trying to get an idea first and the try one of them. It's always better to walk in with facts in your hand :)

My husband is an aircraft technician (avionics) and we were just about to start the process when it got removed from the SOL. The occupation has been bumped onto the CSOL which is a secondary list. States can use this list to create their own State Migration Plans so if you find a state with it listed on their plans you can apply for state sponsorship. The lists do change in line with job demands, but when we checked last month it was listed on the NT and ACT state migration lists as a job in demand. That would mean you'd have to move to one of those states and stay there for a couple of years but after that could go wherever you wanted. We've since decided to try to go in as an electrical technician instead as his qualifications and experience also meet the criteria for that occupation too. An agent is helping us through the process but it's still not 100% certain if they will accept him under that occupation so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Good luck!

My husband is an aircraft technician (avionics) and we were just about to start the process when it got removed from the SOL. The occupation has been bumped onto the CSOL which is a secondary list. States can use this list to create their own State Migration Plans so if you find a state with it listed on their plans you can apply for state sponsorship. The lists do change in line with job demands, but when we checked last month it was listed on the NT and ACT state migration lists as a job in demand. That would mean you'd have to move to one of those states and stay there for a couple of years but after that could go wherever you wanted. We've since decided to try to go in as an electrical technician instead as his qualifications and experience also meet the criteria for that occupation too. An agent is helping us through the process but it's still not 100% certain if they will accept him under that occupation so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Good luck!

thank you for your reply :) information here is really helpful :)

I will search more about this list and contact a migration agent too. I can't believe why they removed such a competitive field from the SOL, however hopefully they will consider about bringing it back.

best of luck with your plans

• 2 months later...
Hello there!

Same thing with my husband we are about to start his application when DIAC moved the said occupation to CSOL list. Any news on your application? Thank you for sharing.

Hi, I'm not the original poster, but thought I'd reply with an update anyway. We've submitted our application to the TRA for my husband in an electrical occupation instead of the Avionics role and should hear back in late Dec. We were very lucky as his boss agreed to put together a reference with us which made lots of references to him as an electrical technician (rather than an avionics technician) so our agents are very hopeful that we meet the criteria for this occupation which is on the SOL. It's definitely worth speaking to an agent to find out if your husband's skills straddle more than one occupation as getting in with an occuaption on the SOL obviously opens up the rest of the country to you and means you can move where the work is/where you want to live rather than being restricted by the CSOL locations. Good luck!

The move of this occupation from the SOL to the CSOL (without any real warning) has left a number of people in a very awkward position with very limited options. I believe currently the only state that is sponsoring on a 190 visa is NT unless you meet one of the other state's offlist criteria.

I would offer a word of caution regarding getting assessed in another occupation. Although it is often possible that a role can be considered relevant to a number of different occupations, it should be assessed in the occupation most relevant to the actual role. For example, if the applicant is essentially an AME avionics and spends the majority of his working day doing that role, his experience should be assessed as relevant to that occupation. If he happens to perform some duties associated to an electrical technician you shouldn't list only those particular tasks to fit him into that occupation when AME would be more apt. It could be considered as misleading if the employment reference did not give an accurate representation of his actual job role and main tasks and duties.

The move of this occupation from the SOL to the CSOL (without any real warning) has left a number of people in a very awkward position with very limited options. I believe currently the only state that is sponsoring on a 190 visa is NT unless you meet one of the other state's offlist criteria.

I would offer a word of caution regarding getting assessed in another occupation. Although it is often possible that a role can be considered relevant to a number of different occupations, it should be assessed in the occupation most relevant to the actual role. For example, if the applicant is essentially an AME avionics and spends the majority of his working day doing that role, his experience should be assessed as relevant to that occupation. If he happens to perform some duties associated to an electrical technician you shouldn't list only those particular tasks to fit him into that occupation when AME would be more apt. It could be considered as misleading if the employment reference did not give an accurate representation of his actual job role and main tasks and duties.

I agree with Adam that you absolutely shouldn't lie, make anything up or deliberately mislead in your application. You can only take the alternate route if you genuinely meet the criteria set for it.

My husband meets all of the criteria for both occupations - all of his main qualifications are in electrical and electronic engineering (not avionics), and his skills and work experience relate to the electrical role in general meaning he could work on aircraft, trains, cars, boats etc. It just so happens that at the moment he works in the aircraft industry. Obviously not everybody working in avionics is in this position, so this won't work for everyone.

My understanding (based on lots of conversations with various agents) is that so long as he meets the minimum qualifications and experience set for the electrical role then they should accept him as that regardless of whether he also suits the criteria of another occupation, as each application is judged only on the occupation you ask to be considered for (i.e. they won’t compare your skills to another occupation and reject you because you fit another occupation better).

A senior manager completed a reference for us (to compliment the full job description provided by HR) that contained all of the true details of his role (it did make reference to aircraft in it as it wouldn't be fair to omit it completely), and it also made an effort to highlight all of the electrical projects he's been involved in that weren't avionic specific which are a big part of his job. I don't think that's a bad thing - you want to make sure every part of your application provides honest, written proof that helps you to prove you meet the criteria they’ve set.

Our agent asked us to collect most of our paperwork together before deciding which occupation route to take because only then could she get an overview of which occupation would be the best fit. For us she felt that although to avionics role was the most natural fit, either occupation worked for us so we went with the one which suited our needs the best.

An agent is the best place to start as they will assist you putting the application together and they will honestly advise you which occupation is your best fit to save you time and money. This route won’t be right for everyone because at the end of the day you need to have the skills, qualifications and experience for the occupation you’re applying for. But in my opinion it's worth looking into if you feel your situation is similar to ours. Good luck!

• 3 years later...

Hi David, I've just replied to your pm but for anyone else that might stumble across this thread, my husband was assessed as an electrical engineering technician using his job description, stat dec, references, job offer letters, and plenty of proof that backed up what his job involved back in Oct 2013. His qualifications were all in the electrical and electronic fields (not specifically avionics) and we were able to make a clear case that his skills and qualifications met the criteria for the occupation. (Essentially he could have come under either the avionics category or the electrical category, had both still been available.) We got our skills assessment through without any problems and are now living in sunny Brisbane - we love it here! 

He works as a mechanic (which over here is more general maintenance) for an international airline so he rarely does much electrical work now, but he loves it. It's definitely worth looking for solutions - if you feel you meet the minimum criteria for an occupation then work with an agent and give it a try. It will either be accepted or rejected but if you don't try you will never know. I'm so pleased we stayed positive and found a great agent! 

Good luck!

Just to add one more thing - we were so lucky he had an employer that he could talk to about our plans. I know not everyone can ask their employer for a written reference as they don't want to tell them they're going to be leaving. Getting a very detailed reference from his manager about the projects he'd worked on and lots of paperwork from HR and other teams was integral to our TRA application. Gather as much evidence as you can to back up your skills!