Customs- tea and vitamins

k8bug79

hi,

sorry not sure this is the best place forthis question. but could see no other.

i fly next week with my 3 kids. i gave hubby everything i thought we'd have to declare to save me having to stop with the 3 kids. but i overlooked my very expensive supplements. they are vegge/ vegan so can nt see why they'd be stopped no herbs as tablets so was thinking to save myself a wait could post them to myself. but then i thought i have a loiad of fruit and cammomile tea tats about to go to the bin so maybe i could pop those in as well.

is fruit tea allowed- mainly cammomile, apple, fennel, peppermint all bagged and boxed but all open bar 1. i don't want to risk my tablets getting chucked for a few tea bags so won't bother if it's at all risky.

hi,

sorry not sure this is the best place forthis question. but could see no other.

i fly next week with my 3 kids. i gave hubby everything i thought we'd have to declare to save me I having to stop with the 3 kids. but i overlooked my very expensive supplements. they are vegge/ vegan so can nt see why they'd be stopped no herbs as tablets so was thinking to save myself a wait could post them to myself. but then i thought i have a loiad of fruit and cammomile tea tats about to go to the bin so maybe i could pop those in as well.

is fruit tea allowed- mainly cammomile, apple, fennel, peppermint all bagged and boxed but all open bar 1. i don't want to risk my tablets getting chucked for a few tea bags so won't bother if it's at all risky.

I think it's fine if they are commercially packed - ie, you got them from the shop and they are unopened. And you should declare them.

Happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable types!

cheers googled and it came up with fish oils or capsues containing green may be an issue. but these are white tablets and vegan so no animal product. all shut except the one i'm currently using. it's the tea i'm finding toughest. one box is sealed so may give that a go. but the rest are open.

Either way, so long as you declare it all, even if its not allowed in, you won't be fined. Its if you don't declare it and they find it, you get charged a heap.

Personally I'd not take packets of opened tea. Just sealed packs. Less hassle if its all sealed as they will know the contents should be as stated on the box. Once opened, its a bit more of that old can of worms. For the sake of a few quid, bin the open ones, is it really worth taking it when you can buy tea over there?

Just because you declare something doesn't mean you will be stopped. It depends entirely what it is and whether the customs officer thinks you look like you might be hiding something or whether you are one of there random stop and searches. I declared loads of stuff when I went with the kids and wasn't stopped, although they were all things that were allowed.

Just because you declare something doesn't mean you will be stopped. It depends entirely what it is and whether the customs officer thinks you look like you might be hiding something or whether you are one of there random stop and searches. I declared loads of stuff when I went with the kids and wasn't stopped, although they were all things that were allowed.

ooh that's interesting, how does it work then? i know you fill out a/landing card, what happens after that?

ooh that's interesting, how does it work then? i know you fill out a/landing card, what happens after that?

You arrive into a very busy airport and queue for passport control. You then join a longer queue for customs and may or may not get your bag x-ray and searched, you may also get a sniffer dog walk past you...

According to Nothing to Declare, Border Security, which I am fanatical about watching and am such a saddo that I SKY+ it too lol so that I can fast forward past the adverts, the worst thing you can do is not declare things. Tea is allowed, but they may swab it and check it's not hiding drugs. It's homemade food, plants, anything with soil and nuts and seeds that are a big no no. On the show they do let people through with commercially manufactured food. The fines are hefty though for not declaring and I think with the vitamin supplements, regardless of whether they are sealed or not, the ingredients will need to be checked before they decide if you can keep them. Even the customs officers always tell people, if you're not sure, then you should declare it.

On the show, they make out that every single suitcase is X-rayed, but I don't know if that really happens but the queues that are sometimes shown are absolutely mega so it may be that they do X-ray every single case. Oh and don't forget to declare any money and also make sure that you fill in both sides of the card correctly. Failing all that, say that Phoebe packed her own bag and then put everything in her case :wink:

Lol thanks Movingtotasmania i love border control too probably why i'm worrying so much. Here's an anomoly for you! i was watching it a few months back and a lady had some necklaces from Africa made of seeds. when i was packing i found my seeded necklace and one of shells from my honeymoon in africa plus i knew our honeynoon album which was a collage of plant material. so not wanting to be stopped with the kids i asked hubby to take them with him and declare it, they checked it all over wanted to gamma ray the album but didn't care about the necklaces. i thought the shell one may be ok but after the fuss they made about the one the ladies hasd i swore they'd want to ray it. she had to bin some i think and pay for others to be rayed!

I really think it depends on what type of seeds you're trying to take in as the other night I was watching one about a tribal chief trying to take a ceremonial necklace in to Australia and the seed was still active. I think perhaps your seeded necklace might not have been, or perhaps they could see it from the type of finish on the necklace?

Personally, I would take the teabags, even the opened pack as it does say you can take tea in and as long as you declare it and allow them to swab it then you should be ok.

I'm a bit worried as I get really bad headaches and take strong cocodamol tablets for them and I know that they can give a positive swab test. I said to Mr MTT, if they swab my stuff, it'll be off the roof lol.