Whats the equivlent of a Gammon joint in OZ???

millers

Ok, my 8 year old son is really missing roast gammon joints ......what is the alternative in OZ ???? Helllpppppp.....he wants he's favourite tea !!!

When I went to the butchers here they looked at me like I had 2 heads!!!lol:arghh:

Coles and some IGA's sell Mcloughlin's Irish bacon, black pudding, sausages and boiling bacon or bacon steaks. I love gammon too and this is the nearest I've found to it here. Not cheap tho, I've just paid $9.83 for a joint weighing 762kg and $9.17 for 470kg bacon. It is nice tho. I slow cook the joint and make soup but I guess you could roast it.

They call it pickled pork here and it is not nice, tastes like pork in vinegar nothing like gammon!

if anyone else knows where you can get proper English gammon I too would be very interested to know!

Pickled pork is ok. I soak it, then part boil it, then roast it with honey, mustard and Demerera sugar. It's not too bad.

however if you are lucky enough to live near Cooroy in QLD then there is a great British butcher who sells his own gammon, both steaks and joints, but it's not cheap, but it's worth every dollar!!!!

I've just paid $9.83 for a joint weighing 762kg

That's bloody cheap but how are you going to eat all that ham???? :tongue:

I pay 4.99 a kilo for a full or half ham. Used to pay 3.99 but they've put the price up..

z1_2.jpg

Edited by Johndoe

A friend of mine in Adelaide managed to get a gammon joint. she had to go to the butcher, describe what it actually was and which part of the animal it was from and wait 3 weeks for the butcher to find a supplier. All of the people I know of who want gammon come from up north so it must be a northern thing.

There is a butcher in Hastings Vic who will cure pork etc as he has facilities to do it. Just have to go and order from him. If in Victoria I would phone the British Butcher in Dandenong and ask him where you can get hold of gammon in your area bound to know.

Guest Ptp113
Aussie bacon never as good as British either.

They need some training on pig products

No, you just need to learn how to shop. There's better bacon available here compared to the pommy (Danish) rubbish, but it isn't in supermarkets.

You've made my day Ramot, we are about to move near Cooroy, like the sound of the butcher!

Just wait till you taste his made on the premises sausages!!!!!

Edited by ramot
The strange thing is he comes from our old village in Nottingham.

Guest Ptp113
Is that Cook shops? Love a bit of gammon myself.

Ask for Daniel and he'll get anything you want. None of that pommy water filled anti-biotic and hormone laden crap. Just superlative Trunkey Creek organic.

[h=1]Fresh, Smoked, Pickled & Processed[/h]

• Double-smoked Middle Bacon - 500g pkt

• Double-smoked Shoulder Bacon (rindless)

• Short-cut Bacon (rindless) 200g pkt

• Streaky Bacon - 500g pkt

• Chinese BBQ Pork: pork fillet cooked ready to eat

• Belly Roast: Fresh

• Boned & Rolled Leg Roast: Fresh

• Pickled Pork (neck)

• Pork Fillet: Fresh

• Pork Leg Roast (Bone-in): Fresh

• Pork Mince: Fresh

• Pork Racks: Fresh

• Pork Scotch: Fresh

• Double-smoked Bone-in Leg Ham - half 5kg, whole 10kg

• Double-smoked Sliced Leg Ham - 200g pkt

• Double-smoked Whole Leg Ham (boned & rolled) 2kg or bigger

• Gammon Steaks: Smoked

• Ham Hocks: Smoked

• Ham Steaks

• Kessler

• Mini Gourmet Hams (rolled leg rindless 600g)

• Pancetta

• Speck

• Cheeky Chorizo: Hot & spicy [testimonial]

• Cool Cabanossi

• Kick Ass Kransky: has a mild bite

• Piping Hot Peppy (cracked black pepper, toasted onion flakes - has a peppery bite)

• Salami - Mild

[h=4]Fresh Gourmet Sausages[/h][We make thick, thin, long and chipolata sausages]

• Plain Pork Sausages: Fresh

• Pork & Sage Sausages: Fresh

• Pork, Bacon & Onion Sausages: Fresh

• Pork & Honey Sausages: Fresh

• Italian Pork Sausages: Fresh

Enough there to keep most happy! [h=1][/h]

Frankly I've never been able to tell the difference between gammon and ham.

The technical difference in definition is that gammon is the leg of pork cured as part of the whole side of pork then cut off while ham is the leg cut off then cured. Even in the UK I'd buy them interchangeably.

Try any of the hams available at all supermarkets or butchers--find one that appeals to you (smoked or not smoked etc.) and give it a try. I wouldn't spend huge amounts of money to get gammon when the differences are negligible.

Absolutely. The best way is to simmer it in water until you hit the texture you want--you'll go through "tender but sliceable" to "falling apart like silverside" as time moves on.

I tend to get it to the "tender but sliceable" stage then take it out, trim the skin (if it has some) and glaze with mustard powder, honey and brown sugar and bake for half an hour or so, basting in the glaze every 10 minutes. Cutting a crosshatch into the ham and poking in cloves is optional. This tends to end up just short of falling apart.