Migraines

whichway1

What funny things they are. Very complex. After years of doctors visits I finally have a diagnosis of migraine. I never actually thought it was migraine because typically you hear people talk of a dark room helping and nausea. I occasionally get nausea but as yet I have found nothing else that offers any relief. I have one now and you are probably thinking I should not be on the computer and you're probably right. But, I can't sleep and nothing seems to make it any worse or better, it just has to run it's course.

It seems that for migraine sufferers everyone's experience is different. Now that I have paid attention and kept a diary It is so clear to me that's what it is.

I have vision disturbance - black spots, shadows. I just saw a weird light "trick" which prompted me to write the thread. Before I would have put this down to spooky experiences. I get confused, have memory problems, thirst, word finding difficulties, it actually is quite embarrassing sometimes. severe headache. I find it absolutely fascinating how complex our brains are.

I have been prescribed 2 triptans and they haven't been effective - the latest is rizatriptan melts which seems to work about 1/3 of the time. I am going back to see the neurologist this week.

Anyone else get them? What treatment has worked for you? Any alternative treatments that help? I have tried magnesium but it didn't really work. I have head of vit B in high doses working.

I see the osteopath and I keep hoping back alignment will help but as yet it has not.

Please share x

Guest littlesarah

There is some evidence that acupuncture can work, for some types of migraine. But if I were considering that route, I'd go see a doctor trained in acupuncture/dry needling rather than a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner. One of my workmates found that self-needling worked for hormone-related migraine (but not for her food-related ones).

I had them for a couple of decades - I can recommend keeping a diary (weather, time of day, food, drink, activity, time of the month etc)! Mine had definite triggers at certain times of the month which didnt trigger at other times of the month! All sorts of things seemed to kick them off when I was "vulnerable" - sunlight, strawberries (or, more likely, cream!), coffee, red wine, dark chocolate - all the usual suspects in fact. The cure for me was menopause actually and it was like Poof! all gone!

When I had them, the best painkiller (now off the market I believe) had nicotine in it and nothing else really touched the edges especially when they wouldnt stay down (quite a few trips to A&E for the anti chuck injection).

You have my sympathies, they are horrid things to have to live with but the more you understand their behaviour the more you are able to manage your behaviour and hopefully avoid them.

I get them and usually after stress,not immediately but a couple of weeks later. I used to carry pills with me all the time but don't now. They are a b............... though as I lose the sight in my eyes so if I am driving and the flashing starts I have to pull over and wait for it to go away, after 30 mins I have timed them it goes and then the headache comes. Fortunately I never get nausea with them. The worst one I have had I lost the feeling all down one side. My doc told me there are many people taken to A & E and they think they have had a stroke but its migraine.

Mine are called acute migraine due to the aura and flashing lights, blindness etc.

Edited by Petals

My dad has suffered from them for over 40 years, and they've only really started to ease off I'd say over the last 10. He was prescribed with Imigran injections for a number of years but has since been taken off them due to there not being sufficient evidence about the long term effects of taking it. He's tried acupuncture with varied success though as the second time he had it triggered the worse migraine he'd had in years. He used to go through cycles of being ill for four days (by ill I mean that his head would swell and he would continually vomit and be in absolute agony during that time), okay for a couple and then ill again. He keeps away from booze, chocolate, dairy and pears and apples too (I wrote them that way round to avoid any confusion ha ha) I think. I've suffered with them myself over the years but touch wood haven't had a single one since coming off the pill. Mine seemed to be triggered by certain lighting and stress, and I'd know one was coming because I would start to see light patches and dark spots, and my arms would feel heavy and numb. I was only sick a few times with mine, but going straight to bed seemed to be the only thing to sort them really. It is interesting though to hear how differently people experience them and how they go about managing them!

Anyone else get them? What treatment has worked for you? Any alternative treatments that help? I have tried magnesium but it didn't really work. I have head of vit B in high doses working.

I see the osteopath and I keep hoping back alignment will help but as yet it has not.

Please share x

I had it for many years, with occasional nausea and in some cases up to a vomiting.

Did not have very long ones though, usually it did not go over 6-8 hours at most.

Found a 'cure'. I believe the treatment is very personal.

For me it is a two part.

The second one when it is already late and you got sick, migraine has started, all you can and want to do is to kill symptoms (pain).

For that I found relief in mental concentration and relaxation. If you can practice meditation that would help.

The main part is not to have it.

For that you have to analyze your life and change something.

I believe migraine and headaches in general are connected with a stress we experience in our lives.

What funny things they are. Very complex. After years of doctors visits I finally have a diagnosis of migraine. I never actually thought it was migraine because typically you hear people talk of a dark room helping and nausea. I occasionally get nausea but as yet I have found nothing else that offers any relief. I have one now and you are probably thinking I should not be on the computer and you're probably right. But, I can't sleep and nothing seems to make it any worse or better, it just has to run it's course.

It seems that for migraine sufferers everyone's experience is different. Now that I have paid attention and kept a diary It is so clear to me that's what it is.

I have vision disturbance - black spots, shadows. I just saw a weird light "trick" which prompted me to write the thread. Before I would have put this down to spooky experiences. I get confused, have memory problems, thirst, word finding difficulties, it actually is quite embarrassing sometimes. severe headache. I find it absolutely fascinating how complex our brains are.

I have been prescribed 2 triptans and they haven't been effective - the latest is rizatriptan melts which seems to work about 1/3 of the time. I am going back to see the neurologist this week.

Please share x

i work on a neuro ward and see it alot, all treated with meds and vary from person person. Most seem to be sumatriptan naproxen and diclofenic, they seem to be the most effective. Usually if more than 4 a month many will take daily preventative meds to help lesson the severity. Feel for you i dont suffer myself but they are debilitating x

Good to see you back 'Whichway'.

I suffer with Migraine too. They are hideous and very inconvenient. I get the aura- a sort of flashing lights that start in the corner, then move across my eye forming a 'crescent' shape. It's vile as I get like a blind spot where I can't see words properly. That for me is the worst bit. I have no idea what causes mine as they are really sporadic thankfully! However, I believe it is somewhat like a storm- all the right ingredients need to be in place for it to happen, if that makes sense. If I catch mine at the first instance, I can literally stop it in it's tracks and escape the full on headache, nausea etc. I still experience a bit of a 'muggy' head, but I can get on with my day still. I discovered only last year Nurofen melt lets (v quickly in your system) and paracetamol together (you can take them together if your ok with these tablets). This for me has been the most effective treatment over anything else I have tried. You might want to give it a go? I can empathize.

Edited by Buttercup

I have been told its something to do with blood supply to the brain. I always keep aspros in the house and take them and find they are the best for me. My doc has always told me to rest after a migraine and really I feel like I have been pulled through a bush backwards after it goes.

hi all. ibuprofen, naproxen all work wonders. unfortunately i haven't been able to take them for years, gastric pain, coffee ground vomit likely ulcer or something. i did once have acupuncture, but like an earlier poster says it gave me the worst headache of my life so i am scared to have it again.

its nice to hear everyone's stories cos when i went back to the doc to tell him neither triptan had worked, he gave me a very surprised look. i tried each 6x. currently i am getting at least 1-2 a week. severe too, i think because of lack of sleep stress etc.

i do believe relaxation/ meditation may help but it's not something i am skilled at doing nor do i get a lot of quiet time to practice. I thought I was possibly treatment resistant and it seems a lot of people are. I so wish I could take the nurofen. The doctor is not willing to give me anything to protect my stomach while i take it which is fair enough he is certainly in the know on it. its so good to get input from others. x x

I have been told its something to do with blood supply to the brain. I always keep aspros in the house and take them and find they are the best for me. My doc has always told me to rest after a migraine and really I feel like I have been pulled through a bush backwards after it goes.

i too feel totally exhausted at the end. i actually cried when the neurologist gave me the diagnosis i was so glad that a. it can be treated and b. she believed me.

i suffer too but mainly with silent migraines. all the symptoms but no pain. a relief in someways but an attack has been known to last 3 months and it semi paralyses oine side of my body. always stress and diet related for me.

that is a crazy length of time x x :hug:

Yep I've had the aura too. I read somewhere that migraines with an aura are not so painful as those without. I always started with tunnel vision, a feeling that the light was too bright, then the flashing. I often got pins and needles in one arm. Couldn't focus, couldn't read because I would get to the end of a sentence unable to remember what I had just read. Very scary when it first happens. My sister gets the same thing. I identified various triggers,red wine, cheese, stress. On one occasion I'm sure it was triggered by the sun shining off snow ... the main trigger was the time of the month and like an earlier poster have had no problems since the menopause.

The only way I could deal with them was to say 'okay I've got a migraine' take two paracetamol and go to bed. Nasty things, hope you get yours under control soon.

Guest littlesarah
hi all. ibuprofen, naproxen all work wonders. unfortunately i haven't been able to take them for years, gastric pain, coffee ground vomit likely ulcer or something. i did once have acupuncture, but like an earlier poster says it gave me the worst headache of my life so i am scared to have it again.

its nice to hear everyone's stories cos when i went back to the doc to tell him neither triptan had worked, he gave me a very surprised look. i tried each 6x. currently i am getting at least 1-2 a week. severe too, i think because of lack of sleep stress etc.

i do believe relaxation/ meditation may help but it's not something i am skilled at doing nor do i get a lot of quiet time to practice. I thought I was possibly treatment resistant and it seems a lot of people are. I so wish I could take the nurofen. The doctor is not willing to give me anything to protect my stomach while i take it which is fair enough he is certainly in the know on it. its so good to get input from others. x x

Meditation is something that takes practice. If you can manage 5 minutes a day at first, even that is good. I learned to meditate while in sixth form, and although I don't really meditate in that same way very often these days, I do think the ability once learned stays with you, and I also think it helps us to be mindful and to learn to focus when things are getting stressy. The technique that I was taught was to focus on my breathing, and if the mind wanders to bring it back. If you hear a noise or are distracted by something, acknowledge it and bring the mind back to focus on the breath. I also find that chanting (usually in my head) also helps me to focus - I use Christian chants or a phrase like 'calm, still, quiet, focussed'. Another technique I find helps to release stress is alternate nostril breathing - I was really quite sceptical until I tried it - I find that it really does lower my heart rate and help me to clear my mind of whatever is troubling me.

And yes, acupuncture can go either way - but the practitioners I know point out that sometimes people who respond well to acupuncture suffer from an exacerbation of symptoms at first try, which usually suggests that they need a lighter touch/less deep needling. But I can see that having it induce a migraine would be more than enough to put a person off the technique.

wow see that's interesting. I was thinking that you know how epilepsy can present itself in different ways and although a migraine is not a seizure it seems like there are a few neurological similarities. obviously just my entirely uneducated observation

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Please share x

All I can say and recommend is you try Paleo lifestyle.

Have a look at this link and buy the book. I've read it. It's brilliant.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

I'm not associated with them btw.