Returning to Wales

LCE

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest16631

....love Wales........

....some wonderful childhood memories......

.....of some lovely people in a beautiful part of the British isles.......ime......

Have you all experienced racism because you are Welsh? Just asking as I wasn't aware of any anti Welsh feeling. But I guess the accent is distinctive, and Australians can be funny about anything different.

Its not because we are Welsh its in general although a lot of British people are on the receiving end. The begrudge the fact that Australia lacks certain skills and the Brits fill the jobs. One of the supervisors where I work asks clients in front of me if they can understand what I say? Once she even said in front of an Italian lady if she could understand my accent the lady replied she could my supervisor then said oh that must be because your from the same continent! I secretly laugh at her ignorance. How unprofessional is that? She lacks people skills her. But I reminder I do this job because I chose to which pisses her off even more.

Its not because we are Welsh its in general although a lot of British people are on the receiving end. The begrudge the fact that Australia lacks certain skills and the Brits fill the jobs. One of the supervisors where I work asks clients in front of me if they can understand what I say? Once she even said in front of an Italian lady if she could understand my accent the lady replied she could my supervisor then said oh that must be because your from the same continent! I secretly laugh at her ignorance. How unprofessional is that? She lacks people skills her. But I reminder I do this job because I chose to which pisses her off even more.

Don't make the mistake of confusing stupidity with racism. One can hide behind the other.

It's common knowledge that most (not all) Aussies despise the poms, there's no hiding from that fact, you can play the blind man if you want, but my eyes are wide open, and I don't want my kids to be part of it.

It has not been my experience at all, in fact very much the contrary. I guess what you conclude on this depends so much on where you end up settling and working, who you meet, and whether you are lucky to make good friends, as we have. The racism I have seen has not been directed at me, but at other minorities over here. Much of it is dumb ignorance and fear of change, and certainly in Melbourne, it is no worse than in the UK - indeed in many ways Melbourne appears to manage diversity much better than much of the UK. Re other posts further up the thread 'Wanted Down Under' is most definitely not at all accurate in giving a true picture of life down under, and anyone relying on it as anything other than entertainment will be running risks of not finding what they expected. And anyone coming here expecting to be able to buy into the 'big house, boat, 4x4' good life will also be very disappointed. House prices and exchange rates have long since done for that.

It has not been my experience at all, in fact very much the contrary. I guess what you conclude on this depends so much on where you end up settling and working, who you meet, and whether you are lucky to make good friends, as we have. The racism I have seen has not been directed at me, but at other minorities over here. Much of it is dumb ignorance and fear of change, and certainly in Melbourne, it is no worse than in the UK - indeed in many ways Melbourne appears to manage diversity much better than much of the UK. Re other posts further up the thread 'Wanted Down Under' is most definitely not at all accurate in giving a true picture of life down under, and anyone relying on it as anything other than entertainment will be running risks of not finding what they expected. And anyone coming here expecting to be able to buy into the 'big house, boat, 4x4' good life will also be very disappointed. House prices and exchange rates have long since done for that.

I have also met some great people... And made some amazing friends, but the dream I was sold by my employer isn't bearing fruit, I won't waste my time here in the hope of his promises coming true, which he still assures me will happen. Just going to treat it as a working holiday and bank some great memories.

I have a couple of Welsh friends whom I like very much but both of them are prize self confessed whingers- does it go with the territory? Always look on the dark side of life is their motto....

Who's whinging??? If it's not for me so be it... We've tried it... We don't like it.... Simple really!!

we don't regret trying it here at all, our preference is Wales...... No regrets, some good memories.... And lifelong friends... Many of whom are Irish ....... Wonderful people :)

Edited by ali
personal comments deleted

Good for u all!

Perth is losing some Brits next year , we are also off home in march from perth , never liked the place from day one.

Getting passports my othe r half wants to I couldn't care less.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say its been good . The only good part is the mineing money ... Set up for life :-) earn here spend at home yay

Edited by ali

I just thought I would share our experience for others who are considering a move back to the UK. We came to Oz in 2009 on a 457 visa, with a view to staying 2 - 4 years. We ended up staying for the 4 years and during the last year deliberated so much about whether to stay on and apply for permanent residency. We got all our paper work ready including police checks but when it came down to submitting our application we just knew it was not the right decision for us and after talking it through with our children we decided as a family that we all wanted to return home. Half our family were thrilled while the other half thought we were completely mad! But we knew we were doing the right thing.

We have been back since the middle of May and as soon as we arrived back we knew we had made the right decision, it has been amazing spending time with family again and getting to meet new members of the family who were born since we have been in Oz. Jobs wise we have had no problems, my husband got offered a temporary job the week after we got back and then 2 weeks later got offered a permanent full time job which we accepted. I returned to my previous job the month after we came back and my daughter got offered a full time job 2 weeks after our return! so there are jobs out there.

Its also great being back in our own home as we rented out our house. No more house inspections1 Yaay!

Good luck to anyone else moving back. We had a great experience being in Oz, something we and our children will never forget, but for us the pull of being with family was too strong and for us just wasn't home.

To be honest is not the same going to Aus being told its slowing down, rising unemployment, no jobs, very expensive, house prices etc etc. We have our visas but dont think we are bothering going as we have loads of work here, and probobly going to self build. Everybody we know is in work so and all seem busy so its not all bad. Are these people who are telling you not to come back are they working etc or struggling

but the dream I was sold by my employer isn't bearing fruit, I won't waste my time here in the hope of his promises coming true

Sounds familiar! I think a lot of us have that experience. I changed job, and I know a lot of people who have also done so for much the reason you describe. Hope it works out back in Wales.

I'm from Anglesey up north, a truly beautifull place, such is Wales from top to bottom really!

there was tears of joy from my mother in law yesterday when we told here we're coming home, to have your family and friends around your children while their growing up is far more important than a bit of beach life IMO. Contrary to popular belief..... This is not a great place to bring your kids up.

Cymru am BYTH!!

Mon Mam Cymru!!!

Enjoy been back in Anglesey.

It's common knowledge that most (not all) Aussies despise the poms, there's no hiding from that fact, you can play the blind man if you want, but my eyes are wide open, and I don't want my kids to be part of it.

Common knowledge and fact is it? Not in my experience it's not. You're right mate, Australia is definitely not for you.

Common knowledge and fact is it? Not in my experience it's not. You're right mate, Australia is definitely not for you.

Your obviously playing the blind man..... Or live in the outback!!!!! I'm pretty well travelled..... And this dump tops the lot for rudeness, racism and mind numbing boredom!!!!!

best thing about Perth ?????? The departure lounge!!! ;)

thanks for the upbeat story.we have been here 6yrs and going back in feb .can't wait now

I would assume Andalucia is a better version of Perth. same weather, cheaper and more things to do....

It painfully annoys me everytime I come back to Oz that I have to slowly explain to people that whilst I may have picked up an English accent whilst I was living away from Perth, I am not English and I refuse to be treated like an English person. Annoys the crap out of me when people treat me like a new arrival. Paul - you would be hard pressed to find an aussie that doesn't despise poms. They may not say it to your face, but they'll say it behind your back.

It painfully annoys me everytime I come back to Oz that I have to slowly explain to people that whilst I may have picked up an English accent whilst I was living away from Perth, I am not English and I refuse to be treated like an English person. Annoys the crap out of me when people treat me like a new arrival. Paul - you would be hard pressed to find an aussie that doesn't despise poms. They may not say it to your face, but they'll say it behind your back.

How do English people get treated newjez? Different to your average Aussie, Italian, South African, German? The guys that I hang around with would definitely say something to your face if they had something to say, not behind your back. There is loads of banter between all nationalities, just as much aimed at aussies from poms as aussies to poms. We all take it in the manner it's meant and we all give it back.

When I lived in Derbyshire there was more hatred between Derbyshire and Yorkshire people. I've had more trouble going on stag nights to Sheffield or Nottingham than I've seen here. Just because they could pick your accent.

Worst I've ever seen though was going to Scarborough when it was Glasgow fortnight. As soon as the scots get a few down them they hated the English. In fact they hated everyone. If they didn't manage to get a scrap with English guys they would fight with their mates.

It's true if you mention to true blue aussies that you are a pom they won't be particularly enthused by it and most likely say something derogatory behind your back. Especially in regional areas of Australia. I have had the interesting experience to have worked all over Australia and I learnt the hard way: try not to mention where you were originally from to your work colleagues. Almost each time I have done so they don't say things like "oh wow that's such a great background/country etc etc". INSTEAD they say 9 times out of 10: "Oh...you're a pom! Hey everyone he's a bloody pommy!". So now I try to avoid the question and just tell em that I am from the state I originally came to 15 years ago. I have developed an aussie accent so I can cover it up easier than most I expect.

And whatever you do don't say you were sent here as a prison warder! (it really gets the aussies going!):twitcy:

Your obviously playing the blind man..... Or live in the outback!!!!! I'm pretty well travelled..... And this dump tops the lot for rudeness, racism and mind numbing boredom!!!!!

best thing about Perth ?????? The departure lounge!!! ;)

TBH if i had to live in one place and one place only , perth would be right up there ....my familly love W,A , AND I WOULD NEVER KNOCK IT .......my brother is the same as paul perth ....he lloves the beach , and all that stuff ...,.hours llooking out to sea and alll that shite .....me i have the attention span of a gnat ......after a month or so , it would be o.k whats next ?

its the expense that now puts me off going back ....and the heat which i used to love .....not any more ......but as i said i fully understand why people love it

It's true if you mention to true blue aussies that you are a pom they won't be particularly enthused by it and most likely say something derogatory behind your back. Especially in regional areas of Australia. I have had the interesting experience to have worked all over Australia and I learnt the hard way: try not to mention where you were originally from to your work colleagues. Almost each time I have done so they don't say things like "oh wow that's such a great background/country etc etc". INSTEAD they say 9 times out of 10: "Oh...you're a pom! Hey everyone he's a bloody pommy!". So now I try to avoid the question and just tell em that I am from the state I originally came to 15 years ago. I have developed an aussie accent so I can cover it up easier than most I expect.

And whatever you do don't say you were sent here as a prison warder! (it really gets the aussies going!):twitcy:

i used to love all that grizzly ....do a Botham and front the b....ards .......i have stood nose to nose with a few ....most of them are full of hot air ......99.9% of them i got on really well with ....beers , bit of sledging in good spirit of course .

i miss my aussie mates ......proper mates

How do English people get treated newjez? Different to your average Aussie, Italian, South African, German? The guys that I hang around with would definitely say something to your face if they had something to say, not behind your back. There is loads of banter between all nationalities, just as much aimed at aussies from poms as aussies to poms. We all take it in the manner it's meant and we all give it back.

When I lived in Derbyshire there was more hatred between Derbyshire and Yorkshire people. I've had more trouble going on stag nights to Sheffield or Nottingham than I've seen here. Just because they could pick your accent.

Worst I've ever seen though was going to Scarborough when it was Glasgow fortnight. As soon as the scots get a few down them they hated the English. In fact they hated everyone. If they didn't manage to get a scrap with English guys they would fight with their mates.

i only hate the villa .....and even thats waning as i get older ....

i

You don't realise what you've got, till it's gone!

And my opinion is Wales is a much better place than Perth, yes there are nice beaches and sunshine, damn good chance of getting skin cancer, lots of crime, big problem with racism here, a lot of hatred towards migrants, very poor education system..... And the cost of living?....I won't even start!!!

our decision is made.... We're going back in February ........ We now have a happy household!!!!!! Can't wait to touch the green green grass of home!!!

australia is not for us!

Comparing a country to a city???

Oh, dear...:no:

Cheers, Bobj.