Returning to Wales

LCE

I just thought I would share our experience for others who are considering a move back to the UK. We came to Oz in 2009 on a 457 visa, with a view to staying 2 - 4 years. We ended up staying for the 4 years and during the last year deliberated so much about whether to stay on and apply for permanent residency. We got all our paper work ready including police checks but when it came down to submitting our application we just knew it was not the right decision for us and after talking it through with our children we decided as a family that we all wanted to return home. Half our family were thrilled while the other half thought we were completely mad! But we knew we were doing the right thing.

We have been back since the middle of May and as soon as we arrived back we knew we had made the right decision, it has been amazing spending time with family again and getting to meet new members of the family who were born since we have been in Oz. Jobs wise we have had no problems, my husband got offered a temporary job the week after we got back and then 2 weeks later got offered a permanent full time job which we accepted. I returned to my previous job the month after we came back and my daughter got offered a full time job 2 weeks after our return! so there are jobs out there.

Its also great being back in our own home as we rented out our house. No more house inspections1 Yaay!

Good luck to anyone else moving back. We had a great experience being in Oz, something we and our children will never forget, but for us the pull of being with family was too strong and for us just wasn't home.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done you for telling it like it is for some of us!

We too did 5 years...............loved it, lived it, embraced it BUT always knew I didn't want to grow old there!

We are now in Andalucía..................people think we're completely bonkers but as I always say "Life is a journey not a destination"

Lovely to hear you are so happy with your decision

Best wishes

Thanks everyone for the replies! I know since we've been back and had to explain to people we've just moved back after living in Australia for 4 years when sorting out mobile phones etc, people just look at us in astonishment and say WHY?? My husband and I just look at each other and smile!! It's hard to understand unless you've done it!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I know since we've been back and had to explain to people we've just moved back after living in Australia for 4 years when sorting out mobile phones etc, people just look at us in astonishment and say WHY?? My husband and I just look at each other and smile!! It's hard to understand unless you've done it!

I know exactly what you mean everyone used to look at me funny or make that "WHY" comment when I was over there in 2008, they couldn't believe I'd left Aus for the UK! Can't wait to go back next year :wink:

Too much of wanted down under on the tv and the fact that a lot of people moved here years ago on a 3-1 exchange rate and brought their house outright.. Today these are the people with the boats,

4x4 and the sea view house.. Good luck to them BUT the modern migrant will not share the same fruits.. People who have never been here won't understand how different it is nowadays.

I think some people in the UK don't realise you still have to go to work and do the same things in Aus as you do here. I'm an Aussie and get asked the same question many times. Good to hear about your jobs as well. I have always believed there is work out there.

Too much of wanted down under on the tv and the fact that a lot of people moved here years ago on a 3-1 exchange rate and brought their house outright.. Today these are the people with the boats,

4x4 and the sea view house.. Good luck to them BUT the modern migrant will not share the same fruits.. People who have never been here won't understand how different it is nowadays.

Spot on Paul :yes:

we've just moved back to the UK after a 2 year secondment to Oz, and keep being asked the same question. You really have to have been there to get the full picture Lol!

Forgot to say I'm from Cardiff originally, but haven't lived there since I got married.

Edited by Somgirl

we've just moved back to the UK after a 2 year secondment to Oz, and keep being asked the same question. You really have to have been there to get the full picture Lol!

Forgot to say I'm from Cardiff originally, but haven't lived there since I got married.

cardiff is amazing!! So much change in the last 4 years.

• 1 month later...
Spot on Paul :yes:

Absolutely spot on!!

im here with wife and five kids and the cost of living here in perth is mental!!!!

the promises made by my employer seem to have been bullsh1t!!

we're going to enjoy the summer then as it stands, back to wonderfull Wales in March!

its just not for me, not the dream that it's painted, glad I've tried it...... Better to regret something you have done, than regret something you haven't!!

I just thought I would share our experience for others who are considering a move back to the UK. We came to Oz in 2009 on a 457 visa, with a view to staying 2 - 4 years. We ended up staying for the 4 years and during the last year deliberated so much about whether to stay on and apply for permanent residency. We got all our paper work ready including police checks but when it came down to submitting our application we just knew it was not the right decision for us and after talking it through with our children we decided as a family that we all wanted to return home. Half our family were thrilled while the other half thought we were completely mad! But we knew we were doing the right thing.

We have been back since the middle of May and as soon as we arrived back we knew we had made the right decision, it has been amazing spending time with family again and getting to meet new members of the family who were born since we have been in Oz. Jobs wise we have had no problems, my husband got offered a temporary job the week after we got back and then 2 weeks later got offered a permanent full time job which we accepted. I returned to my previous job the month after we came back and my daughter got offered a full time job 2 weeks after our return! so there are jobs out there.

Its also great being back in our own home as we rented out our house. No more house inspections1 Yaay!

Good luck to anyone else moving back. We had a great experience being in Oz, something we and our children will never forget, but for us the pull of being with family was too strong and for us just wasn't home.

i have had the good fortune to drive through the centre of wales top to bottom ....crystal clear day .....snow on the ground .

llanberis to chepstow ....4 and a half hours ....and wales , pound for pound , is a real little gem .....some of the scenery was world class .....mountains ....fast running waterways .....winding roads

I have also been to the most scenic parts of europe .....swizerland is stunning , but the people are BORING, .....if you want the craic .....the people ....the chance to catch the no 37 bus into town every 10 minutes .....a post box on every corner .....your mates in the pub ....the variety of shops .....and a million other things that cannot be described, then the U.K IS RIGHT UP THERE

i have had the good fortune to drive through the centre of wales top to bottom ....crystal clear day .....snow on the ground .

llanberis to chepstow ....4 and a half hours ....and wales , pound for pound , is a real little gem .....some of the scenery was world class .....mountains ....fast running waterways .....winding roads

I have also been to the most scenic parts of europe .....swizerland is stunning , but the people are BORING, .....if you want the craic .....the people ....the chance to catch the no 37 bus into town every 10 minutes .....a post box on every corner .....your mates in the pub ....the variety of shops .....and a million other things that cannot be described, then the U.K IS RIGHT UP THERE

PS ....i have also landed on jobs in the valleys ....knocked on the door .....some big muscle bound rugby prop answers the door ....3 pitbulls barking out the back ........and iam thinking " i hope he doesnt eat english people " .....LOL

I have fronted it in some real tough places in the u.k ....i feel safer on my own ....

PS ....i have also landed on jobs in the valleys ....knocked on the door .....some big muscle bound rugby prop answers the door ....3 pitbulls barking out the back ........and iam thinking " i hope he doesnt eat english people " .....LOL

I have fronted it in some real tough places in the u.k ....i feel safer on my own ....

pps ....couldnt believe the changes in swansea and newport ( to an extent ) the last time i was down there .....

You don't realise what you've got, till it's gone!

And my opinion is Wales is a much better place than Perth, yes there are nice beaches and sunshine, damn good chance of getting skin cancer, lots of crime, big problem with racism here, a lot of hatred towards migrants, very poor education system..... And the cost of living?....I won't even start!!!

our decision is made.... We're going back in February ........ We now have a happy household!!!!!! Can't wait to touch the green green grass of home!!!

australia is not for us!

Edited by bassboy

You don't realise what you've got, till it's gone!

And my opinion is Wales is a much better place than Perth, yes there are nice beaches and sunshine, damn good chance of getting skin cancer, lots of crime, big problem with racism here, a lot of hatred towards migrants, very poor education system..... And the cost of living?....I won't even start!!!

our decision is made.... We're going back in February ........ We now have a happy household!!!!!! Can't wait to touch the green green grass of home!!!

australia is not for us!

I am also from Wales - gods country.

Cardiff 10 time bigger than Perth awesome night life awesome shopping etc etc. Guess what people speak there also :biggrin:

I am so glad I am not alone in thinking that there is racism and discrimination here towards migrants. The land of milk and honey it Oz is not maybe a few years ago but not now.

I am also from Wales - gods country.

Cardiff 10 time bigger than Perth awesome night life awesome shopping etc etc. Guess what people speak there also :biggrin:

I am so glad I am not alone in thinking that there is racism and discrimination here towards migrants. The land of milk and honey it Oz is not maybe a few years ago but not now.

I'm from Anglesey up north, a truly beautifull place, such is Wales from top to bottom really!

there was tears of joy from my mother in law yesterday when we told here we're coming home, to have your family and friends around your children while their growing up is far more important than a bit of beach life IMO. Contrary to popular belief..... This is not a great place to bring your kids up.

Cymru am BYTH!!

I'm from Anglesey up north, a truly beautifull place, such is Wales from top to bottom really!

there was tears of joy from my mother in law yesterday when we told here we're coming home, to have your family and friends around your children while their growing up is far more important than a bit of beach life IMO. Contrary to popular belief..... This is not a great place to bring your kids up.

Cymru am BYTH!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this too..