Calling All South Africans

Guest kaztayli

Guest kaztayli

Have any of you had to apply for police clearances from the sunny state of South Africa? :err:Can you please tell me how I can go about it as I seem to be hitting my head against every beauracratic wall I can find. :realmad: Nobody seems to have a real clue on how to get a police clearance from RSA when you are in the UK! (Although loads of useless advice has been offered :wacko:) Maybe you cleverer locals here can help me ..............pleeeeeeeeeze:notworthy:

Guest Acacia
Have any of you had to apply for police clearances from the sunny state of South Africa? :err:Can you please tell me how I can go about it as I seem to be hitting my head against every beauracratic wall I can find. :realmad: Nobody seems to have a real clue on how to get a police clearance from RSA when you are in the UK! (Although loads of useless advice has been offered :wacko:) Maybe you cleverer locals here can help me ..............pleeeeeeeeeze:notworthy:

Hi,

I requested the forms via the South African Consulate in London by phone, which they sent me. I then arranged the finger prints - you can go to Scotland Yard for them through appointment, but expensive, so I contacted one of the smaller police station to do it(Dartford) much cheaper. It took me most of the day waiting for a policeman to become free between callouts(SA require prints in ink and UK now use laser prints). The policeman who did them was an ex-South African and understood the complications. I then sent the forms with fingerprints and fees to my brother in Pretoria(via courier), who took them in for me, as well as collected the certificate some weeks later. He then sent the certiificate back to me in the UK to use for my Oz application. It was much cheaper than using the courier service advertised on the forms from the SA consulate in London. One also has to get UK police clearance through your local police station which is quite simple.

ALL THE BEST,

Acacia in Mandurah, WA

Guest kaztayli

sorry but I really need to bump this as we have just had our fingerprints done FOR FREE!!! Strathclyde Police in Wishaw (Glasgow) were absolutely brilliant!

Guest Acacia

Well, you can get them quicker and for free if you steal something from the local news agent. Yes, I also had free fingerprints for one of the many official bank requests in S.A while living in Mid Wales as well. Don't think you'll get this in the London area though. Acacia

Guest kaztayli
Well, you can get them quicker and for free if you steal something from the local news agent. Yes, I also had free fingerprints for one of the many official bank requests in S.A while living in Mid Wales as well. Don't think you'll get this in the London area though. Acacia

rofl - problem is - I needed ink fingerprints and the free prints I get from stealing - are digital - There's just no pleasing some police forces lol

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SAFA-POM

Good Luck with that!

We went back to S.A to get all that done. The finger prints was the easy part, Months later and about £400 on courier fees we have someone else police clearance and another one that says my wife is from Nigeria? "o" and her name has changed to NIGOBO MKIZE.

SO GLAD TO BE OUT OF THERE, WOULD THE LAST PERSON TO LEAVE PLEASE SWITCH OFF THE LIGHTS....

Guest sportbilly

Hi there - we are from Zimbabwe and have had to get ours which are now done and just waiting for them to be sent. Luckly my sister-in-law whos still out there did them for us. Have you not got any relatives their in SA that can help you. You will have to get the forms from there and then get fingerprinted here -£90. If you havent anyone in SA to help you, I guess you could post your application. You have probably heard all this so sorry I cannot help you more.

Good Luck

Guest kaztayli
Good Luck with that!

We went back to S.A to get all that done. The finger prints was the easy part, Months later and about £400 on courier fees we have someone else police clearance and another one that says my wife is from Nigeria? "o" and her name has changed to NIGOBO MKIZE.

SO GLAD TO BE OUT OF THERE, WOULD THE LAST PERSON TO LEAVE PLEASE SWITCH OFF THE LIGHTS....

Don't worry about turning off the lights - Eskom will take care of that!

Guest kelly13

Shall I start the process of obtaining police checks now or do I have to wait until I submit my PR visa application. I am still waiting for my skills assesement from the ANMC. I know that obtaining anything official from SA can be a real pain in the **** so I am keen to get started on this ASAP.Kelly

Guest kaztayli
Shall I start the process of obtaining police checks now or do I have to wait until I submit my PR visa application. I am still waiting for my skills assesement from the ANMC. I know that obtaining anything official from SA can be a real pain in the **** so I am keen to get started on this ASAP.Kelly

Never ever underestimate the slowness of both African time and the SAP! It's going to take up to 6 weeks for the police to realise that they have something to do! Ours went in this afternoon (special mail from Cpt to Pretoria) - will let you know when we get them back (IF we get them)

Guest aussiehopper

Hi there folks,

I know exactly what you mean about the dreaded RSA beauracratic wall! During my last visit home it took nearly 3 days of head banging, copius paracetamols, and the patience of a saint to get my driver's licence re-issued!!

Needless to say I'm really, really, really looking forward to getting my finger prints done - NOT!!! As I've been in the UK for the past 7 years perhaps I might not have to - do you know if this is the case?

Guest sillysyls

have to add my 2c cents worth to this...... oh its just made me laugh all the comments about the efficient beaurocrocy.....(however its spelt)

luckily my brother is still there and he did everything for me (bar the fingerprints).

and don't worry about eskom turning off the lights - they've done it already!!!! 2 hour blackouts daily now.:skeptical:

but then hey, i still miss 'home'

syls

x

• 10 months later...
Guest chellynel

We couriered all the relevant papers to my hubby's brother in Pretoria and he took them in for us and slipped the guy behind the counter 50R to process it faster for him !! when in Africa !!

Guest chellynel
Hi there folks,

I know exactly what you mean about the dreaded RSA beauracratic wall! During my last visit home it took nearly 3 days of head banging, copius paracetamols, and the patience of a saint to get my driver's licence re-issued!!

Needless to say I'm really, really, really looking forward to getting my finger prints done - NOT!!! As I've been in the UK for the past 7 years perhaps I might not have to - do you know if this is the case?

Pretty sure you still do as you need the police clearances from both UK and SA. Mind you I always added MORE than what they asked for on all the paperwork for Oz !

Guest chellynel

Just be careful when getting ur police clearance as then you only have 11 months to enter Australia from the date it was granted !!! We got caught out on that one !!

Very expensive 4 day round trip to Oz for hubby to activate the Aussie Visa ....a few months before we were really ready to go !!

Hi Kaztayli, There are many SA'ffrs in Oz and on this forum. I have mentioned this in some of the other South African related threads. Perhaps you would like to visit the SA forum at: SAAustralia Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

There you may get contact details of people in South Africa that can help with all the different aspects of your visa applications.

Archived