Don't know where to start with move back to UK....

FrankieD

Hi, I've finally decided to move back to the UK, just myself and my little Shih-Tzu dog, but finding it all a bit overwhelming. Having to sell off everything, time it all so that I can just walk away and get on the plane, is it me or does everyone go through this? Feel like I'm walking round in circles, not sure whether to book the flight first, dreading putting my fluffy boy on the plane...do I send him on the same flight or do I send him after by a day so I can be there waiting for him. Trying to work out how many boxes I need for my personal stuff, is it worth taking furniture back, electrical stuff....I'm guessing not? I've had a couple of quotes for the transportation of my dog, looks like it will be around the $3k mark but haven't actually spoke to them yet. Any advice on where to start with all of this? I start to feel anxious when I think about it, never mind trying to do something, lol

Send him on a different flight. There are specific flights and routes that take the animals and trying to book a seat for yourself doesn't really help any. A couple of days in kennels the other end won't do him any harm and it'll give you a few days to finish off before flying out IMHO.

As for shipping your furniture, if its decent and you can afford to, why not. Stuff like furniture in the UK is cheap to buy and plenty of second hand/Gumtree and so on also. Places like Ikea work out a lot cheaper also. And once you've been back a while and have a credit rating things like buying a sofa on 4 years interest free credit are doable.

I'd ship personal effects etc for sure.

Guest Jean95

Hi FrankieD We are also moving back to the UK in the coming weeks. Just about to sell our house. We have been doing little bits and pieces over time. Packed away stuff we didn't need to use daily, sorted our financials, contacted shipping companies etc. Wouldn't book a flight until the last week or so as you would get a better deal pricewise closer to your departure date. Check google for a list of things you need to do like cancelling insurances and such like and tick them off as you go. Good luck with your move. If you are using a shipping company they should tell you exactly what amount of packing you would need. We are using Kents and they came out to the house and estimated what we would need and will also pack it for you.

Good luck

J

Edited by Jean95

I had to smile when I read that, yes, the dog has always been put before me...lol. You're right, once I get him sorted I can work around that, thanks!

Hee hee, well, it's not that he's more important than you, but his travel is probably the hardest in terms of logistics. So, in theory, once that's done, you're on easy street. Sometimes moving countries can be as hard or as easy as you want to make it. Some people agonize about which shipper to use, what to sell/keep etc. Just start making decisions, they rarely turn out to be wrong.

We booked our dog in with jet pets, they stayed with them for a few days after our flight, which meant we were able to collect them, they were well looked after and spoilt rotten. They came to the house to collect them etc.. give them all a call and they will explain it all to you and all your options x

We have moved back recently with a cat so i kinow what you are going through. We had moved out with a 40ft container and simply didn't want to spend that much shipping stuff back so every item was given a serious appraisal - it came down to three criteria 1) Is the replacement cost in the UK less than it would cost to ship (minus what we could sell if for in Aus) - I literally went around with a tape measure to work out the shipping cost of each item! 2) Is it unique or special in some way that would make it hard to replace? 3) Is it needed immediately and therefore needs to be replaced befiore the container arrives anyway? We had a house to sell, which it sounds like you don't so our timing was all based around that - I wanted a month after we moved out in a holiday rental in Australia to tidy up all our financial affairs - pay off credit cards, final utility bills etc. I knew from experience moving out how hard that is to do from the other side of the world. I was working in Australia and didn't have a job lined up in the UK so it made financial sense too. It also meant we only have 3 weeks to wait for our container at this end. Sorry is disagree with everyone else but I'd say if money I'd say book your own flight first, you can save a lot by just a few days difference, the cost of pet flights seems to be about the same regardless. Once you know when you are landing simply tell the agent when you want your dog to arrive and they will arrange it. Bear in mind things can and do go wrong - our cats 'passport' was lost in transit and we ended up waiting 7 hours at the Animal Reception Centre whilst a new one was issued - this really messed up our onward travel plans and another returnee very recently found her dog had not been put on the expected flight due to the agent not having clearance, she found this out when she arrive in London! We used different pet transport agents so we both just had bad luck (it was Malaysian Airlines that lost the paperwork for our cat if you want to avoid them!) (Not wanting to worry you but just plan for delays in your schedule!) I did get overwhelmed at one point with everything that had to be done so i just treated like a work project - what are the tasks? how long will each one take? when do they need to be done by? can any only be started when another is completed? I had it all in MS Project (a spreadsheet would do just as well!) and then just worked through one thing at a time. I'd learnt a lot from the move out and it all went incredbily smoothly (notwithstanding the cats paperwork!) Good luck with your move :)

Like Lady Raincorn............having just recently done this...........I would contact your Pet Shipper first and work around this.......we did.......Please try www.animaltravel.com.au we paid 2500 for 2 dogs and boarding if necessary is $30 per night so I'm sure your quote will be much cheaper!

We left flights till the last minute and got a flight with BA on sale one way.............once you have a date to work towards everything else just falls in place..........it's daunting I know but you just need a starting point!

Good luck :)