Positive Emigrating To Australia True Life Stories

Guest The Pom Queen

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

What was the reason for moving MR you always seemed very settled in sydney. 

Covid-19, or more specifically experiencing the lock down on my own. My brother had already moved up to Surfers Paradise in February, and I was thinking of following up but I had to get some vaccinations  - flu, pneumonia and shingles, spaced out over a few weeks, and the border was closed. Then it opened in July and, after dithering, for a few days, hiring a car for a one way rental, but not leaving, packing the car, but not getting it out of the garage. I bit the bullet and crossed the Rubicon (mixing my cliches up there).

I'm used to living on my own, preferring it in many ways, but during the lock down, everything was closed, other for takeaway, no cafe, no pub, no restaurant, no  beach except for a swim and go, if it wasn't closed. Walk in the park permitted but no just sitting down. You were there for exercise and nothing else.

I had another option too - going to Perth to stay with a friend there but the border was closed all year. It is closed again to Queenslanders I believe since the Brisbane lock down. To be fair, in the six months I've been here, life has been almost normal, bar having to sign into places.

My brothers were trying to get me to sell my flat in Sydney and I was half tempted, but dithering is my modus operandi. Life is better up here to be honest. I can see the sea from where I'm sitting now. I think maybe I need to get a more permanent home even though it is pleasant enough living with my brother.

But, Covid is the dark cloud hanging over everything, every plan.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Covid-19, or more specifically experiencing the lock down on my own. My brother had already moved up to Surfers Paradise in February, and I was thinking of following up but I had to get some vaccinations  - flu, pneumonia and shingles, spaced out over a few weeks, and the border was closed. Then it opened in July and, after dithering, for a few days, hiring a car for a one way rental, but not leaving, packing the car, but not getting it out of the garage. I bit the bullet and crossed the Rubicon (mixing my cliches up there).

I'm used to living on my own, preferring it in many ways, but during the lock down, everything was closed, other for takeaway, no cafe, no pub, no restaurant, no  beach except for a swim and go, if it wasn't closed. Walk in the park permitted but no just sitting down. You were there for exercise and nothing else.

I had another option too - going to Perth to stay with a friend there but the border was closed all year. It is closed again to Queenslanders I believe since the Brisbane lock down. To be fair, in the six months I've been here, life has been almost normal, bar having to sign into places.

My brothers were trying to get me to sell my flat in Sydney and I was half tempted, but dithering is my modus operandi. Life is better up here to be honest. I can see the sea from where I'm sitting now. I think maybe I need to get a more permanent home even though it is pleasant enough living with my brother.

But, Covid is the dark cloud hanging over everything, every plan.

Understand where you are coming from , maybe cash in on your home in sydney and buy up there ? 
who knows where covid is going to take us all very depressing at times

A few more twists and turns to come imho 

Stay safe 

On 29/08/2020 at 07:28, Toots said:

When we lived in Perth (a long time ago) the shops shut at noon on Saturday!!  I couldn't see the sense in that especially for working people.  Glad to hear they are open all weekend now.

A lot of the IGA's are open 24x7 these days. We have one in a nice small shopping centre 2min walk away. Very handy.

The restaurants still close early, best time to go is for the numerous happy hours that tend to be between 5-6 in pubs and restaurants. Went for an excellent chicken parmie for $10 and $6 pints of guiness. Breakwater at Hillary's if anyone is out that way. Several places at Hillary's do happy hours with good deals.

I think most people who are into exercise and live close to the beach get up really early as the best time is about 5:30am onwards. Car park is usually filling up at our local beach by then. Was down at 6:30 this morning and the main carpark was already full. Lots of people doing long ocean swims at this time of year, getting ready for the rotto swim next month.

We've had a few days of close to 40 degree days, one yesterday and I was playing golf. Last 9 holes was tough, breeze didn't get to Wanneroo golf course🥵.

On those days in particular the best time is early morning till about lunchtime. A lot of afternoons the sea breeze kicks in too so it's nowhere near as nice as mornings.

We stll have expat friends who've been here years and still love staying up late and lying in bed in the morning. They would love it if daylight saving came in. The husband gets to early morning paddle or swim sessions sometimes and mentioned how good daylight saving would be. He got a few choice comments as he was the only one thought it was a good idea.😄

The restaurants we go to usually usually have last orders until 10pm (ish) some later.. they are usually continental restaurants. A Tapas bar we frequent closes at midnight over the weekend...Great when I finish work and then can still go out and enjoy a great meal ! The big two supermarket close at 5pm Sat & Sun, but 9pm the rest of the week. IGA's either 24 hr or certainly until 10pm. I love the early morning starts and would hate to have daylight saving due to the heat. The opening hours here in WA are a vast improvement to when I last lived here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

A lot of the IGA's are open 24x7 these days. We have one in a nice small shopping centre 2min walk away. Very handy.

The restaurants still close early, best time to go is for the numerous happy hours that tend to be between 5-6 in pubs and restaurants. Went for an excellent chicken parmie for $10 and $6 pints of guiness. Breakwater at Hillary's if anyone is out that way. Several places at Hillary's do happy hours with good deals.

I think most people who are into exercise and live close to the beach get up really early as the best time is about 5:30am onwards. Car park is usually filling up at our local beach by then. Was down at 6:30 this morning and the main carpark was already full. Lots of people doing long ocean swims at this time of year, getting ready for the rotto swim next month.

We've had a few days of close to 40 degree days, one yesterday and I was playing golf. Last 9 holes was tough, breeze didn't get to Wanneroo golf course🥵.

On those days in particular the best time is early morning till about lunchtime. A lot of afternoons the sea breeze kicks in too so it's nowhere near as nice as mornings.

We stll have expat friends who've been here years and still love staying up late and lying in bed in the morning. They would love it if daylight saving came in. The husband gets to early morning paddle or swim sessions sometimes and mentioned how good daylight saving would be. He got a few choice comments as he was the only one thought it was a good idea.😄

I visit family in the area you are talking about (Suburbs near Hillarys) and one of the things I always struggle with is the restaurants closing early.  You can be out all day doing whatever and it would be lovely to get back, relax a bit,  grab a shower and head out for an evening meal about 7.30/8 ish. No chance, you have to go about 6, 7 is really pushing it and no hanging around for a few hours having drinks and a good chat. They’re waiting about to close up by 8 ish. I’m not moaning, just pointing out something I find strange. There must be many out at work all day that would like to come home and go for an evening meal with a partner. I assume they’d have to leg it home from the office and rush out quickly. It’s just the way it is I guess, I assume people just don't do much in the evenings and go to bed really early.  

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I visit family in the area you are talking about (Suburbs near Hillarys) and one of the things I always struggle with is the restaurants closing early.  You can be out all day doing whatever and it would be lovely to get back, relax a bit,  grab a shower and head out for an evening meal about 7.30/8 ish. No chance, you have to go about 6, 7 is really pushing it and no hanging around for a few hours having drinks and a good chat. They’re waiting about to close up by 8 ish. I’m not moaning, just pointing out something I find strange. There must be many out at work all day that would like to come home and go for an evening meal with a partner. I assume they’d have to leg it home from the office and rush out quickly. It’s just the way it is I guess, I assume people just don't do much in the evenings and go to bed really early.  

I must eat out at different areas because I never book a table earlier than 7.30. We’re definitely not early to bed people although we mostly go out at weekends.

33 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I must eat out at different areas because I never book a table earlier than 7.30. We’re definitely not early to bed people although we mostly go out at weekends.

If you’re in an area of about 8 miles of Hillary’s/Mindarie then I’d love some suggestions for when I’m next there. It would be nice to go out about 7.30/8 and be able to stay out for a few hours. Nothing posh. Thanks. 

Edited by Tulip1

8 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Understand where you are coming from , maybe cash in on your home in sydney and buy up there ? 
who knows where covid is going to take us all very depressing at times

A few more twists and turns to come imho 

Stay safe 

I am thinking, aka diithering about those things. Talked to young English girl whose family is doing ti tough at home whilst you would not know there is a problem going by the crowds in SP tonight.

It is like being in a neutral country during WW2 like say Switzerland or Portugal where life goes on as normal. I read in the paper here that life in the UK is close to the way it was during the darkest days of WW2. I don't know if that is true but it sounds grim.

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

If you’re in an area of about 8 miles of Hillary’s/Mindarie then I’d love some suggestions for when I’m next there. It would be nice to go out about 7.30/8 and be able to stay out for a few hours. Nothing posh. Thanks. 

Most of the hillary's restaurants are open until 10pm so you could get a 7.30/8pm booking and have a leisurely meal.  Breakwater is open until midnight (for drinks) - the kitchen will probably be later.  The Boat in mindari is similar, closes earlier in the week, midnight Fri/Sat

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 17:46, Tulip1 said:

You would have a selection at Hillary's that stay open later and 8:00 would be a popular time. White Salt is pretty good in Sorrento, Whitfords shops have the brewery and other restaurants all in the same spot that are open later. 

Two Fat Indians in Joondalup do a great curry and a few more Joondalup way open later.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/01/2021 at 00:21, MARYROSE02 said:

I am thinking, aka diithering about those things. Talked to young English girl whose family is doing ti tough at home whilst you would not know there is a problem going by the crowds in SP tonight.

It is like being in a neutral country during WW2 like say Switzerland or Portugal where life goes on as normal. I read in the paper here that life in the UK is close to the way it was during the darkest days of WW2. I don't know if that is true but it sounds grim.

spoke to a friend in Buckinghamshire yesterday. She went to work on the train for the first time in ages, 3 passengers in a whole carriage at 8am. She went out at lunchtime for some food and struggled to find anything open... a ghost town!

We have been incredibly lucky, hopefully the vaccines will work as planned and the rest of the world can get back to where we are

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 19:46, Tulip1 said:

The Grapevine Italian in Heathridge - great food, but then I have to say that as my mate's the chef!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

spoke to a friend in Buckinghamshire yesterday. She went to work on the train for the first time in ages, 3 passengers in a whole carriage at 8am. She went out at lunchtime for some food and struggled to find anything open... a ghost town!

We have been incredibly lucky, hopefully the vaccines will work as planned and the rest of the world can get back to where we are

Part of me thinks that Australia will come crashing down and experience what the rest of the world is enduring. I suppose to be fair, it was like that in Sydney from the middle of March to the end of May, cafes, restaurants and pubs open for takeaway only. I was scared then too. I wonder if that is the whole purpose? To scare us all to keep us all under control?  I never left home without a sanitizer and was scared to press the switch on a water fountain in the park.

On the other hand, since the beginning of June, firstly in Sydney, and now in Surfers, if I did not read or watch or listen to the news life is as normal as it could be.

A bloke did come  into the cafe this morning wearing a mask but it was only covering his mouth, and of course when he started to eat, the mask went below his chin. Perhaps someone will explain the point of that to me. I get wearing a mask whenever you leave the house but I don't get only wearing it SOME of the time. Isn't it like putting a helmet on for a motor bike ride but taking it off for part of the journey?

Why have both colds and "normal" flu all but disappeared? I've not had a cold for a calendar year for the first time I can remember.

13 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I wonder if that is the whole purpose? To scare us all to keep us all under control? 

To what end? Why? By whom?

We've had pandemics before which resulted in similar social distancing, border closures and quarantining measures - e.g. the Spanish Flu back in the early 1900s. Why this time round does there need to be a conspiracy afoot? What are the elite all doing in the world's empty city centres whilst the proles are all languishing at home watching Netflix?

13 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Why have both colds and "normal" flu all but disappeared? I've not had a cold for a calendar year for the first time I can remember.

Because of social distancing and increased hand/cough/sneeze hygiene.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2013 at 15:57, The Pom Queen said:

Ok I have been asked to start a thread by a couple of members now. This thread is for members who have moved to Australia and love it here, it's the stories of their ups and downs and successes and how living in Australia has improved their lifestyle etc.

Warning - Any negative comments on this thread will be deleted, if we miss one just hit the report button.

Just a quick reminder about the topic of this thread. Please feel free to start a new thread if not discussing a positive moving to Australia post.

Thanks

Cal x

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

So as we approach our 6 year mile stone, I thought it was about time for an update.

We arrived in October 2015, landed in Sydney and booked into a. air b n b for 2 weeks.

Within the 2 weeks we had bought a car and secured a rental property on a six month lease. 4 weeks later Mr MT started working for a National company based in Sydney. 

Although we loved living in Sydney, trying to buy a house was a bit depressing, prices were going up all the time, anything we could afford was not really what we had moved all this way for and Mr MT was not enjoying his job too much.

So, we looked further afield, Queensland seemed a much better option with regards housing and also seemed more laid back. So as we reached the end of our lease, MrMT handed in his notice and we drove to Queensland to look for a house.  having found a nice 4/2/2 we put down a deposit, drove home to Sydney, packed up our stuff and three weeks later we were in our very own home and feeling a lot more relaxed about the move.

it took some weeks but eventually we both found jobs and so began our life on the Fraser Coast.

Two years later we were selling that house and moving yet again. Mr Mt had secured another job 100Ks further North and had been commuting daily, it made sense to move nearer work.

We packed up again and moved to our current house where we have 3 acres and our own dam. We are semi rural but still only 10 minutes from our local shopping centre. I am still working as I was able to transfer my job so that worked out great.

This year, on Australia Day I had my Citizenship ceremony, I am now an Aussi citizen and can apply for a passport (not that I can travel anywhere just now lol}  It was a great feeling and I feel like I have a much better connection with this wonderful land we now call home!

Two weeks ago we decided to visit the bank and make tentative enquiries about maybe buying a second property, houses are still relatively cheap here but prices are definitely rising since the Covid problem.  We looked at a few houses and one in particular caught our eyes.  We put in an offer on the spot which was eventually accepted {after much wrangling} and we are now in the process of buying that house.

The long term plan is that we rent out that house for the next few years and as both of us are getting to be a bit "long in the tooth" when the day comes that we are not capable of looking after this current property (lots of grass cutting and land maintenance) we will sell up and move into the new house which is a very easy maintenance block.

Life for now is great, we have chickens which we raised from day old chicks and they have started laying eggs this past two weeks. My little veggie plot is producing some nice tomatoes and other fresh veggies and of course we have our lovely swimming pool to cool off in on hot summer days.

We had intended to visit our families the UK in the summer of last year. Obviously that did not happen, nor will it happen this year or possibly next year. This is probably the only negative thing about our emigration journey. However, we are holding on to hope that with the vaccine roll out the boarders will open up and we can travel again to see our loved ones.

So, is this the end of our story? possibly it is.

Then again, life has a habit of presenting new opportunities all the time and you just need to be brave and seize the day.

Good luck everyone else with your own journeys 

I will revisit this post in a couple of years and see if anything has changed.

Metoo

ps my user name was chosen years ago before the "Metoo"movement was even invented.

(I have never been molested by a film producer or anybody else - for clarity )

• Like 4
  • Congratulations 5

46 minutes ago, Parley said:

You have done very well for yourselves @Metoo

Your home and pool look lovely.

Plus you have a beautiful cat.

Awww thanks Parley, she is a beautiful cat. We rescued her as an 8 yrs old from the local rescue centre. She was to be company for our other old cat, who came with us from the uk.  It took them a long time to become friends, but they ended up best mates.  Unfortunately the old boy (17 yrs +) passed away 2 weeks ago.  Nothing particularly wrong with him, I guess it was just his time.

Very sad for our little girl cat who is looking for him. 😢 

• Sad 2

Hi where are you in Queensland.  I lived in Cairns but moved down to Ballarat Victoria as couldn't stand the heat.  However, having been locked in for so long my thoughts are reverberating around a return.  Was meant to fly up there in two weeks but not going to happen.  As someone said it's only 3 months of the year it is unbearable but at 83 and a widow am uncertain. I loved the lifestyle in Cairns and like you found the people so relaxed and friendly.  Here they seem to want to bite your hand off.  Understandable but nevertheless offputting.

27 minutes ago, Metoo said:

Awww thanks Parley, she is a beautiful cat. We rescued her as an 8 yrs old from the local rescue centre. She was to be company for our other old cat, who came with us from the uk.  It took them a long time to become friends, but they ended up best mates.  Unfortunately the old boy (17 yrs +) passed away 2 weeks ago.  Nothing particularly wrong with him, I guess it was just his time.

Very sad for our little girl cat who is looking for him. 😢 

It is very sad, although over 17 is a good age. I had one who lived to about 19 and a half, and i was really hoping she would make 20 but couldn't quite get there.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, libbye said:

Hi where are you in Queensland.  I lived in Cairns but moved down to Ballarat Victoria as couldn't stand the heat.  However, having been locked in for so long my thoughts are reverberating around a return.  Was meant to fly up there in two weeks but not going to happen.  As someone said it's only 3 months of the year it is unbearable but at 83 and a widow am uncertain. I loved the lifestyle in Cairns and like you found the people so relaxed and friendly.  Here they seem to want to bite your hand off.  Understandable but nevertheless offputting.

We are in Bundaberg now.  Very lazy old fashioned Australian atmosphere.

Still a bit humid in summer months but not as hot and sticky as Cairns. Winter months are very pleasant, about 25 degrees during the day and 10 degrees at night (although last night dropped to 4 degrees which is unusual brrrrr)

I get what you are saying about lock down, so far we have escaped almost unscathed (touch wood)  We had a couple of weeks of mask wearing and a shortage of toilet rolls at the start.  

Have a look on realestate.com to get an idea of house prices etc 

good luck 🤞 

Edited by Metoo