register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Positive Emigrating To Australia True Life Stories

33 minutes ago, ali said:

It's funny that out of all our family, my son who remembers very little of living in the UK is the one who retains his Englishness (although I suspect that it's a talking point when meeting girls and backpackers who talk football lol).  My hubby took him back last year.  We'd asked him what he wanted for his 18th birthday and he'd said his dream was to have a pint on North End with his dad.  The holiday was a more of a football tour and when he came back he said he'd had the best time "but I couldn't live there".  After enjoying the space of WA he found it a little closed in and too cold (although it was January).  

Yes I think the key is to take them in January, they'll never want to move back then!

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Interesting to read this we are now in our 7th year and love it we moved to Sydney and built our home a couple of years ago here. We took our kids back to visit the UK last Christmas, our youngest who was 9 when we came over had been pining for the UK for 6 years. We had a great time and loved seeing family and friends, hubby and I had been back a few times for family reasons but it was the first time for the two youngest. Since coming back our youngest son hasn’t mentioned going to live back in the UK, he is still proudly English but he sees his life in Aus now. Our eldest son lives and works in Melbourne with his Aussie fiancée, we all have citizenship now (it is SO worth getting), our wages weren’t bad in the UK but they are amazing here and we love our jobs. We are very thankful for everything we have and enjoying seeing more of Australia every year we are here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 2

Well I can only speak for myself.  I have been very happy on the whole since migrating to Australia in 1981.  I married an Australian and if I hadn't I would probably never have given Australia a second thought.  Fortunately for us things worked out fine.  I have never been homesick or yearned to return to my home country to live.  We both worked hard.  I retired at 62 and OH at 65.  Now we are retired and life is very good.  Never a dull moment and never bored.  We have lived in Perth, Sydney and now Tasmania.  Our two sons (born in Perth) live and work overseas.  As long as they are happy, I am happy.  They are both coming back for Christmas with their partners which is so nice and my sister will be here too from Scotland.  

I have a lot of things in my life which keep me occupied and I have very good friends nearby.  I have no great urge to visit Europe  ..............  I lived there for a couple of years and absolutely no wish to visit cities.  Give me a pair of wellies and a few animals and and I am in my element.  I do know Australia has changed a fair bit since I migrated and not for the better in a few instances but it's still not a bad place to live at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1