register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Positive Emigrating To Australia True Life Stories

37 minutes ago, Kenfrapin said:

Wow, my last post was in May 2017 but somehow I have a feeling I posted more recently than that

All settled in our new home and, as we love to do crazy things, also got our 2 boxer boys the weekend we moved in. 3 months in and the 4 of us are well settled and enjoying true Aussie life. I've never done so much gardening in 4 years in the UK as compared to 3 months here. Bunnings is my new church and I an improving DIYer, actually managed to get grass cover over our huge backyard all alone (pat my back)

Still waiting for summer to start in Melbourne and getting ready for the XMas break. We continue to enjoy UK tele thanks to ingenious methods and Netflix continues to eat more into our nightly TV routine. After a year and a half of saving up for home with no travelling, we make our first getaway to Bali for Easter 2019 followed by a trip somewhere in Queensland in July/Aug but just havent decided where. Both of us have changed jobs a few times but the market is fantastic and we havent yet had any difficulties in getting decent wages. Overpaying our mortgages the most and also managed to buy another small piece of land up north as an investment. Again, never ever possible in the UK

Our only gripe at the moment is crossing the West Gate Bridge into Melbourne CBD. An additional 2 hours in traffic now everyday, with 5:45am wake ups instead of 7am when we used to live in the city. But hey ho, we knew what we were getting into and those extra 2 hours is totally worth the location and money spent on getting the home we wanted

Finally, as a treat, here are our 2 boys that only Australia could gift us. Say hi to Marco (brindle) and Polo (white), our baby boys 🙂

46144287_10156863451127292_5127411822881669120_n.jpg

Lovely post  ....................... great that you are enjoying life in Melbourne.  Such happy dogs!  😀

Posted (edited)

Aargh I went in the moving back to the UK thread, and I had to come in here to lift myself up again!

I have to remind myself that my family is half Australian, and have family in Perth already, and so does my wife. I'm sure it will still have it's tough moments, but we can do this!!

Edited by Jon the Hat

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Aargh I went in the moving back to the UK thread, and I had to come in here to lift myself up again!

I have to remind myself that my family is half Australian, and have family in Perth already, and so does my wife. I'm sure it will still have it's tough moments, but we can do this!!

View it as an adventure. If it works you win but if it doesn’t then you move on. Simples. Don’t set yourself up with the expectation that it has to work, that’s too stressful.

Edited by Quoll

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Don’t be “aargh”!!

The UK part is where we go for our support and debrief the same way those of you moving to Australia look at the visa posts and compare timelines and visa grants etc. 

As most of us don’t need a visa for the UK and worked hard to get our visa for Australia we need somewhere to question our feelings and get support. It’s a reality that not everyone wants to be/stay in Australia.

You are moving to a nice place with family. Positive outlook and a bit of “head down, bum up” and you stand a good a chance as anyone of making a go of it. 

Now, focus on your goal and avoid that part of the forum if it drags you down! I was very happy for 10 years in Australia, no reason you won’t be as well. 

Wishing you happy days ahead. 😀 Go get ‘em!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

We've just celebrated our 12th year in Aus - we still enjoy it, find plenty to do (as do our young adults) .. there'll be ups and downs because that's life, nothing and nowhere is perfect.  We remain happy here, aren't bored, don't feel isolated and have more savings than we've ever had before which allows us to travel to see other parts of Aus and overseas.  People on the forum often say to ask yourself if you can see yourself retiring here … my answer is yes I can and can't wait lol. I have lovely memories of growing up in the UK, but   I don't have any anchor to it and miss very little

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

On 30/11/2018 at 11:58, Kenfrapin said:

Wow, my last post was in May 2017 but somehow I have a feeling I posted more recently than that

All settled in our new home and, as we love to do crazy things, also got our 2 boxer boys the weekend we moved in. 3 months in and the 4 of us are well settled and enjoying true Aussie life. I've never done so much gardening in 4 years in the UK as compared to 3 months here. Bunnings is my new church and I an improving DIYer, actually managed to get grass cover over our huge backyard all alone (pat my back)

Still waiting for summer to start in Melbourne and getting ready for the XMas break. We continue to enjoy UK tele thanks to ingenious methods and Netflix continues to eat more into our nightly TV routine. After a year and a half of saving up for home with no travelling, we make our first getaway to Bali for Easter 2019 followed by a trip somewhere in Queensland in July/Aug but just havent decided where. Both of us have changed jobs a few times but the market is fantastic and we havent yet had any difficulties in getting decent wages. Overpaying our mortgages the most and also managed to buy another small piece of land up north as an investment. Again, never ever possible in the UK

Our only gripe at the moment is crossing the West Gate Bridge into Melbourne CBD. An additional 2 hours in traffic now everyday, with 5:45am wake ups instead of 7am when we used to live in the city. But hey ho, we knew what we were getting into and those extra 2 hours is totally worth the location and money spent on getting the home we wanted

Finally, as a treat, here are our 2 boys that only Australia could gift us. Say hi to Marco (brindle) and Polo (white), our baby boys 🙂

46144287_10156863451127292_5127411822881669120_n.jpg

As a big dog lover I love this pic! Grass looks great, but for how long? 🤣

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

We have now been here six years last November when I arrived just myself (teacher) and my son (then 15) 

To say the first couple of years were a little rocky would be an understatement.  I had a regional visa so could not live or work near my sister and family so I found myself a little isolated in a regional town near the Sunshine Coast.  We said despite how miserable we felt, we would give Australia 5 years, then go home if we still didn’t like it. 

The private school I worked there in was mostly made up of farming kids so not many were heading to university. However, it was a nice friendly and safe environment for my son (Aspergers) to complete  his last two years of high school.  There was nothing to do there so I spent my spare time as a rural firefighter, playing bridge and doing as much professional development as I could fit in. I also saved like crazy as we had arrived in Australia with very little money.  I budgeted just 60 dollars a week for our food. Rent was cheap and the rest went in the bank. These were quite dark times. I didn’t see much of my sister, the whole point of coming to Australia and we didn’t make many friends locally.  As a single mum who worked there were not many avenues for meeting people and making friends.  Thankfully fellow firies were very friendly so I enjoyed getting out there.

After two years there I had had enough of being stuck there and having gained 5 more visa points I decided to spend another 10k and applied for PR. I started frantically applying for metropolitan jobs.   I was a little over zealous and was quickly offered a role in a beautiful school on the Gold Coast.  Things were finally looking up.  The bad news was that my current visa would not let me work on the Gold Coast.  They held the job until December but still no visa. So they readvertised.   I was beginning to think I was stuck forever.  Then I did the crazy thing of just resigning anyway. I figured I now had some savings to keep us going.  I moved out of my house and put everything in storage. In early December I got a call from an agency asking if I was free for a semester contract in Brisbane. I said no and told them about the visa problem.

They said let’s not tell them about that for now but go along and chat with them.  It turned out to be a top school and the interview went so well, they said they would wait until the week before term 1 for my visa.  At this point I didn’t even tell my family as they already thought I was crazy throwing a perfectly good job away.  I headed off to the states on holiday with my sister.  15th January I returned and no visa.  I found several voice messages from the school saying contact us urgently.  I couldn’t bear to turn another good job away just yet.  On the 19th I finally emailed them, 2 days before school start and said, no visa but I expect to have it in two days. The latter statement was a lie but hey.  They said okay.   That night I drowned and lamented in red wine about what might have been.  Next morning I woke up and there it was. The golden email!  I could not believe it.  The gamble had paid off and I now had a job at a top school. My family were in shock and so was I. That resulted in much more red wine. 

A week later, I found myself working in a place alongside people who really were at the top of their profession and teaching highly dedicated and ambitious students. I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute. My son went to college and made a few friends. This was the turnaround for us. My next move, we built our own house on the Gold Coast. In the Uk all I could have bought was a 2 bed apartment in a crappy part of town.  This was a big stretch financially so I started a side business from home which added a good boost to my income. I also did lots of other jobs around the coast.  I commuted to Brisbane for a while for my main job but then I took a chance on another temporary contract in a great private school on the Gold Coast.  Two years later I still work there and am now a head of dept so my main income has also had a boost.

so things are much better now.  We are just looking at building a pool in the next few months.  I have not relaxed quite yet, I still have the side business which my son helps out with but this is home for us now. As a young country Australia is very much a land of opportunity if you are prepared to work hard. It made a difference for us.  We also got a fresh start in a new place.  We joined a tennis club and a gym and occasionally get to the beach. We love the variety of the all parts of the Gold Coast and Brisbane is just up the road. 

As soon as we got our new house we also adopted a rescue cat and she had a hard time before she came to us.  She is all good now and we love her dearly. 3 years later, she is still the cutest

Millie 

359A249C-9D12-46E1-9ACB-810441599BF3.jpeg

Edited by milliem
  • Like 8

Visa: 475 regional GRANT 22/6/12, touchdown 4/11/12 . Applied 189 PR visa 13/11/14 Grant 20/1/15

Good on you Milliem for keeping going when things were not falling into place for you. Like you, we said we would hold out for a few years even if we hated it here but alas this year will see us celebrate 13 years of living here and we certainly have no regrets or plans to return to the UK. Wishing you lots of luck with your future

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I must say I am watching Wanted down under in awe at people who no no-one at all in Australia yet throw themselves into it with such enthusiasm!  Some people are adventurers I guess.  I suppose I must have been at one point to take off around the world for 18 months when I met my wife.  We have all the foundations to make it work except the right job for me, and that will hopefully be a matter of time.  14 years working for an Aussie company probably helps with the fitting in bit as well 🙂

• Like 3

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

5 hours ago, milliem said:

We have now been here six years last November when I arrived just myself (teacher) and my son (then 15) 

To say the first couple of years were a little rocky would be an understatement.  I had a regional visa so could not live or work near my sister and family so I found myself a little isolated in a regional town near the Sunshine Coast.  We said despite how miserable we felt, we would give Australia 5 years, then go home if we still didn’t like it. 

The private school I worked there in was mostly made up of farming kids so not many were heading to university. However, it was a nice friendly and safe environment for my son (Aspergers) to complete  his last two years of high school.  There was nothing to do there so I spent my spare time as a rural firefighter, playing bridge and doing as much professional development as I could fit in. I also saved like crazy as we had arrived in Australia with very little money.  I budgeted just 60 dollars a week for our food. Rent was cheap and the rest went in the bank. These were quite dark times. I didn’t see much of my sister, the whole point of coming to Australia and we didn’t make many friends locally.  As a single mum who worked there were not many avenues for meeting people and making friends.  Thankfully fellow firies were very friendly so I enjoyed getting out there.

After two years there I had had enough of being stuck there and having gained 5 more visa points I decided to spend another 10k and applied for PR. I started frantically applying for metropolitan jobs.   I was a little over zealous and was quickly offered a role in a beautiful school on the Gold Coast.  Things were finally looking up.  The bad news was that my current visa would not let me work on the Gold Coast.  They held the job until December but still no visa. So they readvertised.   I was beginning to think I was stuck forever.  Then I did the crazy thing of just resigning anyway. I figured I now had some savings to keep us going.  I moved out of my house and put everything in storage. In early December I got a call from an agency asking if I was free for a semester contract in Brisbane. I said no and told them about the visa problem.

They said let’s not tell them about that for now but go along and chat with them.  It turned out to be a top school and the interview went so well, they said they would wait until the week before term 1 for my visa.  At this point I didn’t even tell my family as they already thought I was crazy throwing a perfectly good job away.  I headed off to the states on holiday with my sister.  15th January I returned and no visa.  I found several voice messages from the school saying contact us urgently.  I couldn’t bear to turn another good job away just yet.  On the 19th I finally emailed them, 2 days before school start and said, no visa but I expect to have it in two days. The latter statement was a lie but hey.  They said okay.   That night I drowned and lamented in red wine about what might have been.  Next morning I woke up and there it was. The golden email!  I could not believe it.  The gamble had paid off and I now had a job at a top school. My family were in shock and so was I. That resulted in much more red wine. 

A week later, I found myself working in a place alongside people who really were at the top of their profession and teaching highly dedicated and ambitious students. I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute. My son went to college and made a few friends. This was the turnaround for us. My next move, we built our own house on the Gold Coast. In the Uk all I could have bought was a 2 bed apartment in a crappy part of town.  This was a big stretch financially so I started a side business from home which added a good boost to my income. I also did lots of other jobs around the coast.  I commuted to Brisbane for a while for my main job but then I took a chance on another temporary contract in a great private school on the Gold Coast.  Two years later I still work there and am now a head of dept so my main income has also had a boost.

so things are much better now.  We are just looking at building a pool in the next few months.  I have not relaxed quite yet, I still have the side business which my son helps out with but this is home for us now. As a young country Australia is very much a land of opportunity if you are prepared to work hard. It made a difference for us.  We also got a fresh start in a new place.  We joined a tennis club and a gym and occasionally get to the beach. We love the variety of the all parts of the Gold Coast and Brisbane is just up the road. 

As soon as we got our new house we also adopted a rescue cat and she had a hard time before she came to us.  She is all good now and we love her dearly. 3 years later, she is still the cutest

Millie 

What a fantastic post - it's made me really smile - Well done you x

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I must say I am watching Wanted down under in awe at people who no no-one at all in Australia yet throw themselves into it with such enthusiasm!  🙂

Virtually all the people during the Assisted Passage Scheme had that attitude and very few returned to their country of origin, or departure, partly because there were opportunities in a new land. I was one of those and, after 55 years, I am still in awe at the magnificence of this country and what it has to offer.

Cheers, Bobj.

And the fishing is infinitely better.😛

• Like 5

16 hours ago, milliem said:

Millie 

What a great post.  So glad everything has worked out for you Millie after all your hard work.   😀   Gorgeous cat!

16 hours ago, milliem said:

Millie 

Good on you Millie. Our paths have crossed a few times on here and you were good enough to send me an IELTS book quite a few years ago now! Interesting how you joined the Firies as I have done the same. A good way to meet local people from all walks of life. Glad it's all worked out in the end, you were due some luck but I think sometimes you make your own luck. Best wishes and what is the business? Anything interesting?!

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

On 10/01/2019 at 08:26, milliem said:

Millie 

wow! what a great story!

My goodness you really have what it takes to survive in Australia and deserve all the rewards.  It may be a land of opportunity but it's a rough and tough 

country in many ways and making good friends can be difficult.  You certainly are not a whinging Pom, quite the opposite. and admiration for your tenacity

and courage are second to none.  It certainly wasn't easy for you but you've won through.  Fantastic.

Amazing stories all!

Im looking to move to Adelaide with my wife and baby early next year and preparing myself for the journey 🙂 

Happy to know that many have made Australia their home eventually!

• Like 1