Positive Emigrating To Australia True Life Stories

Guest The Pom Queen

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:22, SWMOY04 said:

Looking forward to moving in the next few weeks or so. Had a Skype interview last week, which I hope secures me a decent job in the profession that I love... Mental Health Nursing

JOB SECURED!!! At a higher level than I anticipated too!!

Now ready for the big move in a few weeks!!!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 08/09/2018 at 04:50, tab said:

Fantastic news our house sale went through today so one step closer to my dream of being back. I'm planning on agency nursing and midwifery until my youngest is older. Good luck well done 

Wonderful news @tab 

• 4 weeks later...

We arrived on a cold night into Sydney in May 2014 having come from an expat contract in the Middle East. The kids were awestruck for a while, getting used to the cold weather, using public transport and seeing graffiti for the first time. 

I didn’t have any work lined up on arrival but within a few weeks was flying off to WA to join an oil and gas construction ship operating in the NW Shelf. It was a far cry from my background driving passenger ships and superyachts. 

My wife was left alone to move house to the lower blue mountains, take some driving lessons/test and obtain a driving license (her license wasn’t recognised here) and get the kids into school. Thankfully she was resilient as she had a similar experience when we’d arrive in the big sandpit that is the Middle East where she arrived and I disappeared off on a ship for several months, but that said it wasn’t easy. 

The first year in Australia saw me away more than I was home and even the time at home was ruined with me being sent to Europe for training. 

After 6 months in our rental house we were informed that the owner wanted the house back and we had to move… Yet another bit of stress! 

As summer approached things improved and we made friends through the church and school (neither of us are particularly religious, but we found the church to be a great community place to meet people and we met some other new arrivals to the country. 

I worked for around 2 years in oil and gas doing contracts in Australia, East Timor and Asia, but with the industry on its knees things were messy and whenever the phone rang I couldn’t say no for fear of being blacklisted. 5 week trips turned into 12 week trips and 5 weeks at home turned into 1 week… Essentially my wife had become a single mum, albeit with bit more cash, and was even being invited to single mum events… You can imagine the strain that this puts on a relationship, but we were determined to see it through. 

Then my mother in law came for a 3 week holiday and was hospitalised with a heart attack which resulted in her staying here for 9 months and having major open heart surgery. This resulted in us having legal demands for $350,000 as her insurance didn’t cover this is a pre-existing condition… We handed over about $50k of our savings for part of the bills… 

My goal when moving to Australia was to stop working away and move into a shore side role, namely Marine Piloting (valet parking ships). The competition for these jobs is fierce, as a I unfortunately discovered and takes years of networking in addition to having the right skills on the CV to make the move. So eventually we realised that we had to take a gamble and I returned to the UK as a Marine Pilot whilst my family stayed in Australia. 

It was a seriously tough year, running a house in Oz and an apartment in the UK on a miserable sterling salary, we ran through a significant amount of our savings. But after 9 months in the UK I got a call that I was finally going to be accepted in a port in Australia and was back here for good after a year in the UK. 

The arrival back involved another house move, new schools and settling into a new life. But a year down the line and things have finally settled down. 

Four and a half years since we first arrived in Australia and we finally feel like things are going in the right direction. It’s never easy moving to a new country. 

We love the weather and the outdoors here, there is nothing better than going to the park or beach and using the public BBQ’s to spend a day relaxing. The quality of life we have here partly through the climate, the culture and better employment conditions than I’d ever have in the UK we can live a life that suits us. 

We’ve travelled a little of Australia into WA, NT, ACT, QLD, TAS but really can’t wait to explore more. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Today is our three year anniversary. I think I may have done updates at two and one year... Anyway three years in and we are still loving it. The whole concept that it's not a better life it's just different doesn't quite fit with me as our life is better! We have a house by the sea, have more disposable income, career progression and a better social life despite having three unruly children. 😉 We are now at the point where we have built our own house, upgraded cars, bought a camper trailer, selected a private high school for our eldest child, been to Bali and planning a bigger holiday possibly NZ or maybe to see family in the UK.

Our time is still predominantly filled up ferrying our children from one club to the next but I'm sport mad so actually enjoy driving about and watching all my children play different sports. That said we often share lifts with friends now and support each other when we can. Work is going well for both of us with recent promotions and I am generally excited at what the future will bring. Fortunately for us family have visited and the need/guilt to go home hasn't been there (no family emergency). Social media and mobile phones are now fantastic for video calls and this also helps. I miss my family in some ways but they seem to be coping without me, so I don't stress about the miles too much! 

Some things are more expensive but generally as a migrant you are coming with a trade or academic qualification which will allow you to earn better money. We haven't found things drastically expensive although we may simply be used to Aussie prices now. Inevitably we have Pom friends as well as Aussies and the Poms have all been glad to come back to Oz after holidays back to the UK but bring back Hula Hoops, certain chocolate etc. Clothes shops are limited (not that I'd really know) and cars and electrical goods are pricey as well. Again we know no different now and just except these prices as the going market rate.

Ironically Aussies still get confused with what I say at times and despite saying Soccer I struggle with servo, traino etc. I still get confused looks when I ask if someone is ok, normally with queries such as 'don't I look ok?' When people presume that Australia is like Britain I suggest it's probably a cross between the US and Britain. Maybe NZ is a bit more 'British.' However very unique and special in it's own ways. So don't assume people will do things the 'British way.' You'll likely get a 'your in Australia mate!' type of response maybe not so polite. I've had a few probably racist remarks said to me, but nothing I've taken personally and very much heat of the moment. 

I appreciate that things seem to have gone pretty smoothly for us and it doesn't always work out like this. I would suggest to always try and achieve a PR visa, it'll be worth it in the long run. Research where you want to live and have it clear why you wish to go there, visit if you can and try to make contacts if that is relevant. Finally put yourself out there, children make it easy to meet people, join clubs whatever you need to do. At every anniversary we talk about the whole leaving process, driving to Heathrow, staying overnight, catching the plane... The days leading up to our move were very stressful and quite sleepless. It was my plan and my dream to move to Oz, I didn't want to let my family down after taking them away from family and friends. Luckily for us it was the right choice, if you don't move you'll never know.

So next year will be the magical four and qualifying to apply for citizenship. I may be a day or two late completing my update as I'm sure in good Australian fashion there will be plenty of documents to upload!

• Like 9

Wonderful update on your 3rd anniversary. You write very well.

My 40th anniversary is tomorrow 3 November - i arrived at Freemantle on Fri 3 November 1978.

Veteran status does not fit me comfortably.

Actually. I went back to England for 12 years in 1996 so I have not been here for the full 40 years. I have not been back to England for 10 years. 

Everything you say is a virtual blueprint for successful migration to Australia. Well done!.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Today is our three year anniversary. I think I may have done updates at two and one year... Anyway three years in and we are still loving it. The whole concept that it's not a better life it's just different doesn't quite fit with me as our life is better! We have a house by the sea, have more disposable income, career progression and a better social life despite having three unruly children. 😉 We are now at the point where we have built our own house, upgraded cars, bought a camper trailer, selected a private high school for our eldest child, been to Bali and planning a bigger holiday possibly NZ or maybe to see family in the UK.

It would be great to know which part of Australia you're in.  It's great to hear how well your move turned out, but in many parts of Australia, that house by the sea wouldn't be an option because of the price1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It would be great to know which part of Australia you're in.  It's great to hear how well your move turned out, but in many parts of Australia, that house by the sea wouldn't be an option because of the price1

Absolutely, one of the reasons we chose where we did. I'm a country boy so I was never going to live in the big smoke somewhere. We are an hour south of Perth in Mandurah. The sea is affordable, my dogs love their walk in the morning along the beach (just got back!)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, benj1980 said:

Absolutely, one of the reasons we chose where we did. I'm a country boy so I was never going to live in the big smoke somewhere. We are an hour south of Perth in Mandurah. The sea is affordable, my dogs love their walk in the morning along the beach (just got back!)

I could have bought a block of land in  Avalon ? Mandurah in  1964 for £200.😫

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

I thought about moving over to Perth from Sydney this year after two trips of 7 and 5 weeks at Xmas New Year and May. 

I would have no problem living there - still amazed that you can drive for pleasure in a State capital! But then i realized i would be emigrating all over again, 4000 km from family and friends and work.

I might go over again for Xmas New Year.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2013 at 11:59, Petals said:

I arrived the first time with three friends in 1968 and loved it from the very first day, it was a wonderful sunny day and we came by ship. Loved living in Sydney at the time and getting the ferry to work each day absolutely marvelous. My friends and I decided to move on and we moved to Melbourne, completely different but easier on the pocket so suited us at the time. Met my oh who was at sea and we got married and I returned to the UK to live. We then returned here in 1975 and all we had to do in those days was have a chest xray and get our passports stamped. I got a job no problems as I had worked in the city of Melbourne before and knew people and oh was at sea so he was sorted.

We had it very easy as my oh was on high wages as a chief engineer at sea , just lucky I suppose that he picked the right occupation. When he cam ashore he took a wage cut but not that much so he fell on his feet and got superannuated right away which was not the norm in those days.

We took out citizenship in 1977 or thereabouts as we wanted to be citizens before we had our children as they would be Aussies. When we went to the ceremony they asked us why we were bothering as we stuck out like a sore thumb the only Brits there. Anyway we wanted to do it and we did.

We have had a wonderful life here and I have some wonderful friends. One of the friends I came here originally with lives not far away after all these years. I also have another friend who is the sister I never had and that has been wonderful.

My parents continued their nomadic life moving around here and there and eventually settled in Melbourne when they had to and Mum is still alive and kicking but going back to the UK she has been going back for fifty years or so, did go back on two occasions and stayed and then returned, as her dream of what she was returning to was nothing like reality.

Now I am a widow and so I will never return as my oh is here and we are meant to be together for ever and ever. Kids are fine and both doing very well, although they have been to the UK neither has bothered to go over and work, their friends break their neck to go but not my kids.

I have family in USA, England, New Zealand and we all visit one another when we can.

So Aus has been very very kind to us, if we had stayed in UK my oh would have stayed at sea all his working life and that would have meant separation for longish periods and he did not want that.

Aus is different to everywhere else because its Aus and I just love the diversity of the landscape, the clear clear skies in the bush, nothing like it. The animals, the people, salt of the earth.

I am ten years behind you having arrived 40 years ago plus one day? Is that right? I arrived on Friday 3 November 1978 and it is now Sunday 4 November 2018.

There have been times when i was homesick but looking back that was really only when my parents were alive and maybe also doing it tough/feeling lonely.

It is 1830 and I've been on my own all day something i used to hate on Sundays but now i am not bothered.

I got up early to watch part of Arsenal v Liverpool then my main interest Wolves v Spurs, football being one of the few English things i obsess about. There is nothing else I miss bar having the countryside on my doorstep.

• Like 2

12 years ago today we arrived in Brisbane from the UK and 13 years of posting on PIO which has been a life line at times and has led to some long term off forum friendships ... Still enjoying life with no regrets and firmly believing in life is what you make it .

Cal x

• Like 1

On 02/11/2018 at 03:37, MARYROSE02 said:

Wonderful update on your 3rd anniversary. You write very well.

My 40th anniversary is tomorrow 3 November - i arrived at Freemantle on Fri 3 November 1978.

Veteran status does not fit me comfortably.

Actually. I went back to England for 12 years in 1996 so I have not been here for the full 40 years. I have not been back to England for 10 years. 

Everything you say is a virtual blueprint for successful migration to Australia. Well done!.

Very kind. A totally different challenge arriving in the late seventies to now I'd imagine! Although people miss the UK it isn't as far away as it once was. I used to speak to my Gran in the eighties who lives in Ireland and there would be a delay. I have a better conversation with them now in Oz! Flights are getting quicker and they are regular. My family text each other every day in group texts, so I roughly know what's going on in their lives if I like it or not. But 40 years ago would have been a very different ball game.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 19/10/2018 at 09:39, CaptainR said:

We arrived on a cold night into Sydney in May 2014 having come from an expat contract in the Middle East. The kids were awestruck for a while, getting used to the cold weather, using public transport and seeing graffiti for the first time. 

I didn’t have any work lined up on arrival but within a few weeks was flying off to WA to join an oil and gas construction ship operating in the NW Shelf. It was a far cry from my background driving passenger ships and superyachts. 

My wife was left alone to move house to the lower blue mountains, take some driving lessons/test and obtain a driving license (her license wasn’t recognised here) and get the kids into school. Thankfully she was resilient as she had a similar experience when we’d arrive in the big sandpit that is the Middle East where she arrived and I disappeared off on a ship for several months, but that said it wasn’t easy. 

The first year in Australia saw me away more than I was home and even the time at home was ruined with me being sent to Europe for training. 

After 6 months in our rental house we were informed that the owner wanted the house back and we had to move… Yet another bit of stress! 

As summer approached things improved and we made friends through the church and school (neither of us are particularly religious, but we found the church to be a great community place to meet people and we met some other new arrivals to the country. 

I worked for around 2 years in oil and gas doing contracts in Australia, East Timor and Asia, but with the industry on its knees things were messy and whenever the phone rang I couldn’t say no for fear of being blacklisted. 5 week trips turned into 12 week trips and 5 weeks at home turned into 1 week… Essentially my wife had become a single mum, albeit with bit more cash, and was even being invited to single mum events… You can imagine the strain that this puts on a relationship, but we were determined to see it through. 

Then my mother in law came for a 3 week holiday and was hospitalised with a heart attack which resulted in her staying here for 9 months and having major open heart surgery. This resulted in us having legal demands for $350,000 as her insurance didn’t cover this is a pre-existing condition… We handed over about $50k of our savings for part of the bills… 

My goal when moving to Australia was to stop working away and move into a shore side role, namely Marine Piloting (valet parking ships). The competition for these jobs is fierce, as a I unfortunately discovered and takes years of networking in addition to having the right skills on the CV to make the move. So eventually we realised that we had to take a gamble and I returned to the UK as a Marine Pilot whilst my family stayed in Australia. 

It was a seriously tough year, running a house in Oz and an apartment in the UK on a miserable sterling salary, we ran through a significant amount of our savings. But after 9 months in the UK I got a call that I was finally going to be accepted in a port in Australia and was back here for good after a year in the UK. 

The arrival back involved another house move, new schools and settling into a new life. But a year down the line and things have finally settled down. 

Four and a half years since we first arrived in Australia and we finally feel like things are going in the right direction. It’s never easy moving to a new country. 

We love the weather and the outdoors here, there is nothing better than going to the park or beach and using the public BBQ’s to spend a day relaxing. The quality of life we have here partly through the climate, the culture and better employment conditions than I’d ever have in the UK we can live a life that suits us. 

We’ve travelled a little of Australia into WA, NT, ACT, QLD, TAS but really can’t wait to explore more. 

Wow @CaptainR you have had a rough time of things along with your wife. I am glad that you are finally settled.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 02/11/2018 at 00:24, benj1980 said:

Our time is still predominantly filled up ferrying our children from one club to the next but I'm sport mad so actually enjoy driving about and watching all my children play different sports. That said we often share lifts with friends now and support each other when we can. Work is going well for both of us with recent promotions and I am generally excited at what the future will bring. Fortunately for us family have visited and the need/guilt to go home hasn't been there (no family emergency). Social media and mobile phones are now fantastic for video calls and this also helps. I miss my family in some ways but they seem to be coping without me, so I don't stress about the miles too much! 

Some things are more expensive but generally as a migrant you are coming with a trade or academic qualification which will allow you to earn better money. We haven't found things drastically expensive although we may simply be used to Aussie prices now. Inevitably we have Pom friends as well as Aussies and the Poms have all been glad to come back to Oz after holidays back to the UK but bring back Hula Hoops, certain chocolate etc. Clothes shops are limited (not that I'd really know) and cars and electrical goods are pricey as well. Again we know no different now and just except these prices as the going market rate.

Ironically Aussies still get confused with what I say at times and despite saying Soccer I struggle with servo, traino etc. I still get confused looks when I ask if someone is ok, normally with queries such as 'don't I look ok?' When people presume that Australia is like Britain I suggest it's probably a cross between the US and Britain. Maybe NZ is a bit more 'British.' However very unique and special in it's own ways. So don't assume people will do things the 'British way.' You'll likely get a 'your in Australia mate!' type of response maybe not so polite. I've had a few probably racist remarks said to me, but nothing I've taken personally and very much heat of the moment. 

I appreciate that things seem to have gone pretty smoothly for us and it doesn't always work out like this. I would suggest to always try and achieve a PR visa, it'll be worth it in the long run. Research where you want to live and have it clear why you wish to go there, visit if you can and try to make contacts if that is relevant. Finally put yourself out there, children make it easy to meet people, join clubs whatever you need to do. At every anniversary we talk about the whole leaving process, driving to Heathrow, staying overnight, catching the plane... The days leading up to our move were very stressful and quite sleepless. It was my plan and my dream to move to Oz, I didn't want to let my family down after taking them away from family and friends. Luckily for us it was the right choice, if you don't move you'll never know.

So next year will be the magical four and qualifying to apply for citizenship. I may be a day or two late completing my update as I'm sure in good Australian fashion there will be plenty of documents to upload!

I had to laugh at the part when you said you ask them if they are ok. The number of times I got blank stares or the “yes, why!!” I still say things now, different phrases and receive those blank stares.

It is great reading the updates, please keep them coming.

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, calNgary said:

12 years ago today we arrived in Brisbane from the UK and 13 years of posting on PIO which has been a life line at times and has led to some long term off forum friendships ... Still enjoying life with no regrets and firmly believing in life is what you make it .

Cal x

Congratulations Cal, I can’t believe how long you have been on the forum. You will still be here when you are drawing a pension 😂😜

9 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Congratulations Cal, I can’t believe how long you have been on the forum. You will still be here when you are drawing a pension 😂😜

I come and go a bit these days, life does get in the way. That said having looked back at the visa advice in particular it's great to see support still provided. It was a great reassurance for me at the time. I went with removal recommendations, opened up a NAB account, used MoneyCorp etc... All good advice and made things a little easier!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, my last post was in May 2017 but somehow I have a feeling I posted more recently than that

All settled in our new home and, as we love to do crazy things, also got our 2 boxer boys the weekend we moved in. 3 months in and the 4 of us are well settled and enjoying true Aussie life. I've never done so much gardening in 4 years in the UK as compared to 3 months here. Bunnings is my new church and I an improving DIYer, actually managed to get grass cover over our huge backyard all alone (pat my back)

Still waiting for summer to start in Melbourne and getting ready for the XMas break. We continue to enjoy UK tele thanks to ingenious methods and Netflix continues to eat more into our nightly TV routine. After a year and a half of saving up for home with no travelling, we make our first getaway to Bali for Easter 2019 followed by a trip somewhere in Queensland in July/Aug but just havent decided where. Both of us have changed jobs a few times but the market is fantastic and we havent yet had any difficulties in getting decent wages. Overpaying our mortgages the most and also managed to buy another small piece of land up north as an investment. Again, never ever possible in the UK

Our only gripe at the moment is crossing the West Gate Bridge into Melbourne CBD. An additional 2 hours in traffic now everyday, with 5:45am wake ups instead of 7am when we used to live in the city. But hey ho, we knew what we were getting into and those extra 2 hours is totally worth the location and money spent on getting the home we wanted

Finally, as a treat, here are our 2 boys that only Australia could gift us. Say hi to Marco (brindle) and Polo (white), our baby boys 🙂

46144287_10156863451127292_5127411822881669120_n.jpg

• Like 6