Positive Emigrating To Australia True Life Stories

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest jak2503

Quick update

Moved Aug 2009 to Melbourne

Moved Sept 2009 to Brisbane

Found jobs easy to find

Moved back to Blighty May 2011 (not sure why)

Moved back to Brisbane Aug 2011 (missed it)

Still here family thriving, son is nearly a teenager, bought land built house, worked out west to get financially ahead, back in Brisbane working. Life is a journey and must be experienced, any decision you make is right at the time and thats what counts. Live by your own rules, respect the way of life, and dont feel obliged to become a drunk whinging pom sat in some idiots back yard with another 15 poms whinging about how shit it is here.

Remember you can live life with money and also with less money, we did it for years on $900 a week in a rental and managed just fine, anyway go for it and enjoy it, if it doesn't work out, go back, its that simple.

We landed with 20k aus, doesnt go far when you have nothing and have to start again. But it can be done just fine.

Enjoy

Ok wow. I started posting on here in 2010 I think, and haven’t been back since, until now that is! Very bizarre to re read my posts from all that time ago.

We’ve been in Brisbane now for almost 7 years. I’m still in the same job as when I arrived, we’ve moved suburbs and started our own little Aussie family and got our citizenship this year but other than that we are still much the same, still speak with our British accents, and still very much enjoying living our lives down under.

Hands down, best thing we ever did. 

We still have weekends or even days that feel like we’re on holiday, still discovering new places, and the things that we loved about the place when we arrived still hold the same appeal. We consider ourselves very fortunate to have had the oppurtunities we have had (and still have) here.

I get it’s not for everyone, and the choices people make mean different things, but for us we are financially and emotionally much better off here than we were in the UK. That’s not to say I don’t like the UK, there are some things I miss terribly, like Christmas (it’s still not right in 40 degree heat), UK television (you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone) and driving on English roads (no courtesies here!)) but I have learnt to accept the fact that you will always have nostalgia about a place you were brought up in and lived for a long time. I love the UK, and it will always be part of me, but having been back once in the last 7 years, I know this is home. The best way I can describe the experience of going back is like the UK is like black and white television (think the first part of the wizard of oz) and there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s comfortable and traditional. But coming to Australia, and stepping out of the airport into the sunshine, is like the part where Judy Garland opens the door and suddenly you see the world in colour. Its like the world has come to life, it’s bright, and exciting and interesting. 

For us, it’s still exactly that. We aren’t bored of Australia yet. Only 2 weeks ago we went to Coochiemudlo Island for the first time, (it’s on our doorstep and cost the same as a bus trip) it was beautiful. We’ve earmarked it for future beach days out when the weather warms up. Comparatively, we feel our daughter has a far better and healthier lifestyle here than what she would have in the UK. 

If you are an indoorsy person, like wearing jumpers, and generally don’t like hot weather, I wouldn’t move here. It will grind you down eventually. But if you like sunny days, don’t mind sleeping partially naked (or completely) with a fan going for 9 months of the year, and can live with the odd mosquito (our one major bug bear) then this is for you! But in all seriousness, Brisbane and it’s surrounds is beautiful. There is so much to do here. We love it.

Very happy to be back on the forum! 

• Like 17

• 1 month later...

Loved your positive post @Wonderingaloud Excellent that you've found where you want to be. We love Brisbane also, only 4/5 months in and we do have my first proper summer (?) but so far I'm impressed with pretty much everything. In our personal experience it's been wonderful to find people are so incredibly friendly here. My OH is really enjoying their job and our child is thriving. Love exploring somewhere new every weekend. I hope to write a similar positive story as yours in a few years time. Hoping your good times continue to roll. 

Thanks Ozzie

Glad you and your family are settling in! Whereabouts in Brisbane are you? We are Southside (a fair way down southside mind) so a bit of a commute to the city where we work but nonetheless a lovely little part of the world.

Enjoy the hot days and balmy nights! Hopefully a good thunderstorm or two as well!! 

All the best x

I wrote this a few months back but only just getting round to posting it :)

So, a little while back we ticked round the 4 year mark since arriving in Aus. Adelaide was our destination. 

Hubby is from here so for him it was coming home after a very happy and settled 8 or so years in the UK with me. For me it was moving here after a number of trips and visits over the years. For our son it was the second time here after a holiday when he was a toddler. 

From the off we've been settled and enjoying our lives. Hubby has worked since soon after we arrived, it took a while longer for me as I was the one doing all the other stuff and making sure I was around for our son for activities and play dates etc while he settled in. We'd planned on this though so it wasn't an issue for us and we got through it all. 

We bought a house about 7/8 months after we arrived. It took a little while to settle on areas we liked enough to want to live in and find a house that ticked all our boxes within that. I was pretty ruthless and ruled out huge chunks of the city and outlying areas and got our short list of areas based around the top 100 ranked primary schools. Its not for everyone to go about it this way of course but we knew what we wanted and didn't want from an area and so to save more time we simply ruled out any suburbs that didn't have schools in that top 100. We had plenty left to choose from even after doing this. And I then could strike off all the ones down on the flat, too far out and so on till we ended up with a short list of suburbs/areas and small towns we liked the look of and with decent school options. We were always looking to be a bit more up in the hills with the gum trees, koalas and roos so it wasn't too difficult to rule out many areas due to being more built up or on the flat. 

Fast forward 3 and a half years or so and we are all still very content with where we chose. I love driving up the hill heading home. The roads become more and more gum tree lined, you see the open hills in the distance, fields and trees all over the place and I always feel happy to be here. Son loves his school, has made some fab friends, embraced Aussie rules and cricket and has tried out a fair few other sports too. We've gotten stuck in to local sports clubs also and help out where we can at those. Hubby plays Aus rules again and cycles lots up in the hills. 

Work wise, hubby has changed jobs twice since we arrived. The second time he wasn't really looking but had applied for a few posts that sounded interesting (we could have been heading to Perth or Sydney to live at one point!) and then somehow he and his current company found each other and lo, job offer and sorted and he was away. Me, it's been a bit more hit and miss, mainly as I prefer to work part time in school hours where possible. So I've been picky and only work about 20 hours a week. Still, its more than enough and we are all happier for it. 

Homesick? No. Never really, not at all. Since moving here I've had two trips back to the UK to visit my parents and took son both times. He had fab holidays and did loads but like me was ready to come home and so glad to be back in Adelaide after a few weeks in the UK. 

Friends and social aspect? Done ok there. TBH we tend to be pretty similar to how we were in the UK in this respect. Made a few good friends, some Aussie, some from elsewhere and see them when I/we can. Admittedly due to us all having busy lives and some living further away we don't always see each other as often as we would like but when we do, its good. We do lots as a family, go out on day trips, social stuff, sports, even if its just grabbing the basketball or tennis racquets and hitting the courts in the evenings. See hubby's family a fair bit but try to not over do it as we like our own space also. We are not bar types or late night social bugs and prefer to be more chilled, spend time together and enjoy what we do. We get out plenty to the cinema, theatre, occasional gig or concert, are Crows members so go to all the home games, go see the cricket in summer and more. 

For us its been a great move. We knew what we wanted from a life here and we've pretty much achieved it. It hasn't always been plain sailing or wonderful, sometimes its been a bit of a slog but never regretted it or wanted to go back. If we did decide to move on from Adelaide it may be for elsewhere in Aus or possibly NZ but not got the slightest desire to be back in the UK. Australia has been the place I call home since we first arrived. I don't do the leaving one foot back in the country we left or keep looking over my shoulder or anything like that. For me I embrace it fully and get on and live life here. Its good, we're happy and its home. 

Thats me and my update done :)

On 12/15/2017 at 07:58, Wonderingaloud said:

Thanks Ozzie

Glad you and your family are settling in! Whereabouts in Brisbane are you? We are Southside (a fair way down southside mind) so a bit of a commute to the city where we work but nonetheless a lovely little part of the world.

Enjoy the hot days and balmy nights! Hopefully a good thunderstorm or two as well!! 

All the best x

Thank you! We are southside as well at the moment, slowly finding our way around. Try to do one new thing / go somewhere new each week. The thunderstorms are fantastic! We watched the last one that had purple, white and yellow lightning cracking across the sky. The rain was a lovely way to bring the temp down too. All the best to you too. x

Great post @snifter sounds like you've well and truly settled in and how lovely to read of your son being so happy as well. We are doing the same - renting whilst we get to know the suburbs/areas better before buying. Great idea to be a bit picky and also knock the suburbs off the list that don't have X or Y, hadn't thought of doing it that way. It's most likely the biggest purchase of your life, so why not have your standards and your 'nope's :-) Love your description of the gum tree lined roads. Sport is such a great thing to get into here, for kids and adults of all abilities - very sociable and such a variety to choose from, indoor and outdoor. Wish you and your family many many more years of happiness. Hoping I can write a similar post in a few years time.

Got to say, I love reading this thread and positive posts like yours above. It's great to have a thread full of stories minus the frequent point scoring posts that drive down such a great forum.

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

2008 tried to move to Sydney, felt homesick went back to uk after 8 weeks!

2011 move back to Sydney, stayed 3 years and got married lost my job and went back to uk in 2014 had a child in the uk

2017 returned to Oz this time in Hobart, my wife's home state really enjoying it so far hope to never have to return to the uk

Sydney was wonderful but a horrible place to raise children or live long-term unless you earn $250,000 plus a year and can afford a decent place to live.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, can1983 said:

2008 tried to move to Sydney, felt homesick went back to uk after 8 weeks!

2011 move back to Sydney, stayed 3 years and got married lost my job and went back to uk in 2014 had a child in the uk

2017 returned to Oz this time in Hobart, my wife's home state really enjoying it so far hope to never have to return to the uk

Sydney was wonderful but a horrible place to raise children or live long-term unless you earn $250,000 plus a year and can afford a decent place to live.

We raised our two boys (both born in Perth, WA) in North Ryde, Sydney.  It was a very good place to live, good schools, plenty of open spaces (in those days) and easy access to the city.  We all have very fond memories of the area and made very good friends.  Now we are retired and living on the NW coast of Tassie.  One son is in Ireland and the other in New York.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

We raised our two boys (both born in Perth, WA) in North Ryde, Sydney.  It was a very good place to live, good schools, plenty of open spaces (in those days) and easy access to the city.  We all have very fond memories of the area and made very good friends.  Now we are retired and living on the NW coast of Tassie.  One son is in Ireland and the other in New York.

I'm sure it would have been, it still is lovely for those that can afford it. But, in my opinion, house prices have made it too hard these days

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, can1983 said:

I'm sure it would have been, it still is lovely for those that can afford it. But, in my opinion, house prices have made it too hard these days

Yes, North Ryde was very affordable 30 years ago.  Different story now

• 4 weeks later...

love reading this after 18 years back in UK and as a single parent with 3 children in tow have put wheels in motion to move back. my children have never lived in oz and are scared. However since I stepped off that plane in Darwin back in the 8os  my heart and soul have belonged here can't wait to return

accepted offer on house yesterday hoping to be back in the sunburnt country in 2019 x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tab said:

love reading this after 18 years back in UK and as a single parent with 3 children in tow have put wheels in motion to move back. my children have never lived in oz and are scared. However since I stepped off that plane in Darwin back in the 8os  my heart and soul have belonged here can't wait to return

accepted offer on house yesterday hoping to be back in the sunburnt country in 2019 x

Good luck with your move 

Edited by Rallyman

6 hours ago, tab said:

Dunno why they’d be scared.  Nothing scary here in God’s Country...

7 hours ago, tab said:

Best wishes tab and hope it all works out for you and your children.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi guys .. 
first time ever to a forum!!! But looking  for some positive information on emigration to oz with 3 children and a wife! [emoji23] 
places 
work 
cost of living etc.. 

any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance guys [emoji106]

What job do you do? I would start there and work out where the best place for you to be and where would give you the most opportunities. We chose Sydney as it was where I believed I would enjoy my job the most and it has worked out very well. However with that choice has come very limited housing and we have been priced out of almost everywhere, ended up buying land on the outskirts of the city and building a beautiful home but it took a long time. Living costs are higher but you generally earn a lot more, my hubby and I earn more than 100% more money in our Aussie jobs than we did in the U.K.
so my advice is choose your spot! Personally I would only have come to Sydney or Melbourne. However we will retire on the central coast, country Victoria or Sunshine Coast. We love the beach but equally love the country and it’s much cheaper housing inland.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Some very interesting stories... absolutely pleasurable to read positive stories

My first encounter with Oz was when I was about 6 or 7. My mum had jut got a subscription to readers digest.. the small A5 magazine ... I used to go through that magazine quick and would read the main story first.

One day, I read about a Road Train...the descriptive writing just caught my attention and imagination... I had this awkward mental picture of what a road train looks like.. then the writer described the driver checking the tyres and the dusty road... (I'm getting vivid memories of that article)...then I saw the picture on the double spread a page later... I think I spent most of my art class time drawing random long lorries with teachers questioning my sanity as we didn't have any such lorries where I'm from...

By this time, I had never been out of my country of birth, but I told myself If  I ever leave my country of Birth, I have to go and see a Road Train in oz...

Fast forward having lived in over 5 countries on three continents so far, and travelled to a further 20plus on holidays, and having married a young lady with similarly itchy feet...we finally decided 5 years ago we would move to Oz. We had been married 5 years at the time...no kids. We decided to have kids first, then move...

two kids later, I finally got to see (no a proper one) a road train .. I think it was a B-Double... Kangaroos and Sydney Opera House amongst many other things.

Looking forward to moving in the next few weeks or so. Had a Skype interview last week, which I hope secures me a decent job in the profession that I love... Mental Health Nursing

I'm going to see a road train within my first 12 months even if it takes going to a cattle station to see one...

(I'm the reason Quest channel replays Outback Truckers at 3am on random nights...)??

• Like 4