Australia harder than many post

Jake max

Well six months in spent almost all our savings

Have a job which is crap tbh up at 5 am travel about over an hour each way 12-14 hrs a day

Money is poor ranging from 850-1300 self employed carpenter

The reality is far from wanted down under I can honestly say

Aussies first everyone else second The building standard is terrible but its there way or no way

Western Australian experience joke most of there trades men are hopeless be aware this is not what some might think a golden ticket far from it Perth is very expensive and the job market has slowed down massively

I think most people warn others of the wanted down under type shows not being a true reflection of the reality of migration. Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time work wise. Perth is expensive and generally people suggest coming with at least enough money for 6 months in case they can't find work. Hope things pick up for you soon.

Guest Guest66881

Have a job which is crap tbh up at 5 am travel about over an hour each way 12-14 hrs a day

Aussies first everyone else second The building standard is terrible but its there way or no way

Western Australian experience joke most of there trades men are hopeless be aware this is not what some might think a golden ticket far from it Perth is very expensive and the job market has slowed down massively

I just reread your post mate, the only thing that pops out to me is the 'the job market has slowed down massively', it as if you are a tradie and new here not established and in on the game so to speak.

Try another skill i have, i actually have two new career skills to my credit.

I think most people warn others of the wanted down under type shows not being a true reflection of the reality of migration. Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time work wise. Perth is expensive and generally people suggest coming with at least enough money for 6 months in case they can't find work. Hope things pick up for you soon.

We have come with over six months savings money goes like water here tbh cars ,vans rentals household goods the list is endless which I expected what disappointing is the Aussies to migrants they deffo take advantage and I'm glad we came on a permanent visa not a 457 feel sooty for any family on that tbh,

I just reread your post mate, the only thing that pops out to me is the 'the job market has slowed down massively', it as if you are a tradie and new here not established and in on the game so to speak.

Try another skill i have, i actually have two new career skills to my credit.

What have you tried ? If you don't mind me asking

How many cars and vans do you have? Can you cut down sell some or maybe get an older cheaper one? Can your wife work to help out? Do you have to get an extra licence for WA? If so have you done it? Can you rent a smaller place in maybe a more affordable area? Just trying little things may help you get through this lean time? Also just thought are you getting all the Centrelink you're entitled to? Rent assist Child Tax etc?

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

How many cars and vans do you have? Can you cut down sell some or maybe get an older cheaper one? Can your wife work to help out? Do you have to get an extra licence for WA? If so have you done it? Can you rent a smaller place in maybe a more affordable area? Just trying little things may help you get through this lean time? Also just thought are you getting all the Centrelink you're entitled to? Rent assist Child Tax etc?

With all due respect I'm not here to ask for advice on the day to day running costs

I'm well aware of our costs the original post is more about the reality of life down under which if I'm honest is as much a culture shock as financial tbh .Aussies are certainly not Europeans more insular

With all due respect I'm not here to ask for advice on the day to day running costs

I'm well aware of our costs the original post is more about the reality of life down under which if I'm honest is as much a culture shock as financial tbh .Aussies are certainly not Europeans more insular

How is it reality though if you don't then mention the rest? No Australia is not Europe, how is that a culture shock ? It's Australia on the other side of the planet.

I suspect Perth has become over subscribed. All the talk about booms in the state saw immigration spike to record levels. I must say though trade rates became obscene in recent years so the crowding of the market is perhaps no bad thing for us punters in a way.

Of course the ideal would be sustainable growth that we may all benefit from. Not boom and bust cycles.

Can you not advertise locally in your local paper and over the net? It does seem little return at the moment for the hours worked. I suspect this will be more in evidence in the near future with a tightening market and continued high immigration.

Hope things look up.

Who chose to be a chippy?? You, or Australia??

Who chose to go to Perth?? You, or Australia??

Answer honestly, then stop wallowing in self pity.:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Did you expect it to be like Europe Jake? I think it's a good point that I guess most of us think we know what Australia will be like (even if we've not visited), but it isn't. If I had to compare it to anywhere else I've visited - it's more like America to me.

Definitely like America, I remember being on the Dog in Florida and thinking this is just like outback Queensland.

Problems with jobs is not a new thing, I was an adult when I came to Aus and so I went to Sydney did not have a problem. My parents moved to Perth because his brother had migrated there and Dad found it very hard and this was the late sixties, so he up sticks and headed up to the Kimberly to work.

Migrating is hard very very hard, I keep saying this, its not like moving to the next town, people in Aus are not waiting for us to come over with open arms, most do not know we exist.

Jobs they want local experience and familiarity with the work requirements. As far as I can see there are shonky trades people all around otherwise TV would not have anything for us to watch.

What people have to be prepared to do is not work in their job, get another skill that is required and move interstate if they can and want to live in Australia.

I appreciate what the op says, money slips through the fingers and a rolling stone gathers no moss, so people have to really want to do this and be prepared to make it work because of the stress of doing it, the cost etc.

Good luck, chippies I know a lot move on from working as one.

I think the change in balance over the past 2-3 years I've been on this site from everyone heading to oz to now possibly around 1/2 going and 1/2 returning reflects how hard it has become to live in oz. That excludes the fact most people move and stop coming on the site.

Wanted down under is obvious trash tv and anyone basing their decision on that alone is taking a risk.

I really dont see the money problem over here on the east coast (west may be different) everything costs lots and lots of dollars but then again we earn lots and lots of dollars. Just remember the dollar is not a pound its worth much much less in real terms.

With all due respect your post was mainly moaning about work and money, what else are you supposed to reply to? I'll try my best...

Britain by the sea can be found at any British Seaside town. Maybe the Costa Del Sol in Spain

No need to jump on people jake, you said your wages were lower than expected and Perth more expensive than you expected, people were just trying to be helpful. We have actually found living costs to be mostly on par with uk when it comes to bills and leisure expenses, with only rent being noticeably higher even when you take into acct generally higher wages.

for everyone who comes here and earns double, triple or more than their uk wages, there must be a lot more that dont. Hence the high ping pong pom rates. Research research research is the only way forward with a move like this, and even then there are lots of things that still wont be as you expect. There are still things that will annoy you as its life, nowhere is perfect but you just have to make the best of whatever situation you choose to put yourself in.

i hope you can at least see some positives in your life, otherwise it can be easy to get bogged down with all the bad stuff :)

Apologies for the condescending posts. There is nothing more annoying when things are hard when some prat says 'have you tried ... 'My friend is a ... and he says there's lots of work ... etc etc. Drives me nuts.

Good post - you tell it as it is - and hopefully some will remove their rose coloured glasses and make sure they have a decent bank balance if they are going to make the move. Things often get cheaper as you get established - but there is no getting over that initial shock.

Do you think the changes to the fhb scheme for new builds will improve your work situation? There may be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Guest littlesarah

I don't know your circumstances, and I'm not trying to tell you what to do; but it may be that the work situation is different in other States, in which case if you are in a position to consider a move, it may be worth looking interstate for work opportunities. It's horribly stressful being out of work, especially when you've just been through the emotional wringer of moving overseas. All you can do is keep looking for any work you can get - my OH found that he got better results by turning up at potential employers' premises and leaving his CV with them in person, but I know it varies by trade and depending on what the people are like where you are (we're on the East coast so don't know about WA).

Tbh the OP has only been here 6 months, still finding feet and all that. It can take a good couple of years, if not more to become established. Getting your face known etc.

set up costs are going to be huge too. Very few people can come and jump straight into the I've got it all scenario. Your job may be crap but who knows where it will lead?

i would imagine though if your going about with a miserable face, bemoaning your lot then not much chance of you getting anywhere cos nobody will be willing to help you move upwards

I think that the op wanted to let off a bit of steam after all he is the one who is suffering in all of this, its no good us saying we are all right Jack and you should b.............. of back to wherever. Its very difficult for migrants and not everyone falls on their feet and its always been the same. The only difference is not we have web sites and forums that people can join and let off a bit of steam and hope to get something back. He was just warning others of the perils of migration and working in Aus as he viewed it.

Smug is not good.

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok after receiving a reported post on this thread I have deleted 11 posts, just adding some of those may have been innocent but quoted comments that had been deleted.

Stop with the personal attacks you know who you are.