Pathway 1:

My husband has applied for a skill assessment under the welder (first class) job description. Our paper submission has been accepted and he has now been invited for a Technical Assessment in London. I'm sorry if there are other post on this but I have looked and can only find very little on practical assessments and interviews?!

My husband has been welding for 13+ years and has been trained/mentored by one of the best welders in the south west but has no formal qualifications (just codings). He is feeling the pressure that if all goes wrong and he doesn’t pass our dream stops here - even though he is brilliant and can do it and even if he doesn’t its all good.

I want to support him as much as I can and was hoping someone who has gone through the technical assessment for there skill set could provide an outline of the process and what to expect from the day or if someone has undertaken the Welder (first class) technical assessment could provide some insight

I must admit I though it would be either/or a Technical Interview or Practical and am unsure what the technical assessment would involve. He has only been asked to provide ID and its in the middle of London (Oxford Street)

Any help/support on this would be great

Edited by Caveman fatboy
Typo!

If it's on Oxford Street I'm certain it is a technical interview. I recently did my technical interview and if you know your job then it's easy, very easy. Although they did ask quite a bit about safety and I knew nothing about safety in Oz but I fumbled through that explaining I hadn't worked in Oz.

IELTS sat 30/6/12 L8.5,R9,W8.5,S8.5 Ave 8.5, TRA sent 20/06/13, 1st stage assessment passed 15/07/13, 2nd stage 22/07/12 in Glasgow. TRA passed 29/07/13. EOI submitted 29/07/13, SS received 5/08/13, ITA received 08/08/13, 190 Visa applied for 14/08/13, Medicals 23/08/13, PCC uploaded 11/9/13, CO 26/9, VISA GRANTED 17/10/2013

Thank you for that. I just wanted to put his mind at ease, its horrible not knowing what you are walking in to. He should be fine then but I will get him to brush up on the safety side- fingers crossed for Thursday. :)

Hello,

my partner had his skills assessment on Monday at visa first, Oxford street, London on Monday. He is a bricklayer and went expecting a technical assessment but it was actually a conversation with an assessor in Melbourne over Skype. We got the results on Wednesday that he had passed and we submitted our EOI on Friday with a view to submit our state application on Monday.

Good luck x

GRANT 20/01/14 Flights Booked for 01/06/2014

Also he said it was harder than expected as a lot of the questions asked related to bricklaying in Australia which my partner said is completely different, even down to the size of the bricks! Luckily he has lived in Australia previously for 3 years bricklaying so knew the answers but said it would be difficult in his opinion for someone who hasn't worked in Australia tto answer the questions as they wouldn't know things like that x

Well we all went to London (kids in tow) and it all went very well. It was an assessment over Skype for 40 odd mins. It was technical but he knows his field of work :). Now on to IELTs then we can submit our EOI

Moobobs, thank you for your reply and am really pleased for you that your EOI has been lodged x

Brill, hope all goes well, I'm sure it will be good news xxxx