Tickled Pink

Special education needs and provisions

Hi there

For my work purposes I'm interested to learn of any temp visa holders that have children who have special education needs. I'm not asking for any personal info, but I'd be interested to hear what your experience has been with getting additional help required with the following:

a) children who were already diagnosed or assessed prior to arrival, therefore the school knew from the outset that additional measure would be required.

b) children who were assessed once here, and subsequently went to school - how was this met by the school? did you get what you felt was needed for your child? was it straight forward, or did you have a fight on your hands?

c) did you have to, or were you expected to meet any additional costs yourselves.

d) do you feel being a temp visa holder made any difference to your experience?

Like I say, I'm specifically looking at temp visa holders (e.g. 457 or similar), I'm not seeking any highly personal details to be divulged - I'm just trying to get a general feeling of how things are experienced by parents of children with special educational needs.

This includes children with any cognitive or physical impairment.

Thanks for reading! :)

Hi there

For my work purposes I'm interested to learn of any temp visa holders that have children who have special education needs. I'm not asking for any personal info, but I'd be interested to hear what your experience has been with getting additional help required with the following:

a) children who were already diagnosed or assessed prior to arrival, therefore the school knew from the outset that additional measure would be required.

b) children who were assessed once here, and subsequently went to school - how was this met by the school? did you get what you felt was needed for your child? was it straight forward, or did you have a fight on your hands?

c) did you have to, or were you expected to meet any additional costs yourselves.

d) do you feel being a temp visa holder made any difference to your experience?

Like I say, I'm specifically looking at temp visa holders (e.g. 457 or similar), I'm not seeking any highly personal details to be divulged - I'm just trying to get a general feeling of how things are experienced by parents of children with special educational needs.

This includes children with any cognitive or physical impairment.

Thanks for reading! :)

Very simple its self funding

I am also very interested in this, we arrive in brisbane in 3 weeks time and my son has just last week been diagnosed with some mild autism spectrum disorders. The 457 for does not ask about children with special educational needs, so do the state schools have a right to refuse you a place ?

We are quite willing to pay for any out of hours additional tutoring he might need, but there is no reason why he cannot attend a mainstream school.

I am also very interested in this, we arrive in brisbane in 3 weeks time and my son has just last week been diagnosed with some mild autism spectrum disorders. The 457 for does not ask about children with special educational needs, so do the state schools have a right to refuse you a place ?

We are quite willing to pay for any out of hours additional tutoring he might need, but there is no reason why he cannot attend a mainstream school.

The state school would certainly never refuse you a place if you are in the catchment area. It is against the disability act to refuse a child a place on any kind of special need.

Mild autism is very unlikely to receive any extra funding, so it is highly likely that no extra ( funding) provision will be made, such as providing a one on one EA.

However, what may happen if required, is that an independent educational plan will be drawn up and your child will a receive learning and teaching program that is suited to his needs.

Edited by Sammy1

Thank you, that's what he had in the UK, I am sure he will thrive. Thank you

I am sure he will thrive too. There are some very good schools here.

Temporary visas can be a bit tricky though - most states expect payment for services over and above mainstream placement. Aas schools can actually decline enrolment for temp visa holders it'd be interesting to know if they can cite the additional cost of services as being an issue. Of course if the parent coughs up for the services then I guess it depends on their capacity at a particular year level.

Additional support is not guaranteed for "mild" anything these days, disability programs focus on the lowest 2-5% as assessed on objective assessment tools. IEPs for kids not addionally funded aren't the norm all over but you might get an enlightened Principal who thinks it might be worthwhile otherwise it will be in there with everyone else.

The state school would certainly never refuse you a place if you are in the catchment area. It is against the disability act to refuse a child a place on any kind of special need.

And when we complained about this it felt on deaf ears. So we went private. Yet we constantly hear whingers about private schools. Does my head in. Any way when we decide to go back and charge the state??? that will offset the hundreds of thousands spent