Sign our petition to stop them bringing in a $4000 school fee for children on 457 visas!

chiara

But it was ok when you were getting it for free?

Well no, it has been a constant worry for us, and we are constantly trying to ensure the kids learn enough from us (through lots of books and educational stuff) to make up for it. But when they present us with a $20k bill next year, I will have a problem with it....

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no, it has been a constant worry for us, and we are constantly trying to ensure the kids learn enough from us (through lots of books and educational stuff) to make up for it. But when they present us with a $20k bill next year, I will have a problem with it....

Claim it back o. Tax , no drama

I don't think a 457 holder (I am one) can argue about this change to the rules. You are always taking a chance on a visa like a 457 so you have to take the rough with the smooth. I agree 100% with the point that if you are only here for a short time, you should pay your way towards things Australians have paid for over a lifetime. I hope to get a PR as I want to stay forever, and when I do, and the commitment of a long term stay is made I will then feel entitled to the same kind of support an Australian is entitled to.

It is unfortunate that some folks will suffer as a result of this change, but I think we are all warned quite clearly before you get on a 457 visa that it is a risk in a number of ways. I personally thank myself very lucky that Australians have been willing to allow me to come to their country. I think it is up to me to do something to pay that back, not the other way round.

I don't think a 457 holder (I am one) can argue about this change to the rules. You are always taking a chance on a visa like a 457 so you have to take the rough with the smooth. I agree 100% with the point that if you are only here for a short time, you should pay your way towards things Australians have paid for over a lifetime. I hope to get a PR as I want to stay forever, and when I do, and the commitment of a long term stay is made I will then feel entitled to the same kind of support an Australian is entitled to.

It is unfortunate that some folks will suffer as a result of this change, but I think we are all warned quite clearly before you get on a 457 visa that it is a risk in a number of ways. I personally thank myself very lucky that Australians have been willing to allow me to come to their country. I think it is up to me to do something to pay that back, not the other way round.

What a nice change - someone who is not moaning about what they cant get out of Australia because they are on a temp visa. I wish more people took note of the visa conditions.

Is it not a state thing charging for education? I don't see it being the employers responsibility.

If the employee has new out of pocket expenses due to changes in the visa system, I see that as an issue to be discussed with their sponsor.

I'm sure you're all aware that the government are trying to push through legislation to make parents on 457 visas pay $4000 per child to attend a state school, from January 2014. For many this will create a financial burden on what is already an extremely expensive country. Personally we are facing $20k a year to send our kids to our local school if this comes through (and please if you want to post about how I shouldn't have them if I can't afford them, please post elsewhere, I've already heard it and taken note...)

The government already cut the living away from home allowance (LAFHA) for 457 visa holders last year, cutting hundreds of dollars off our weekly incomes, so this is just another kick in the teeth.

Please sign the petition, it may achieve nothing, but it might achieve something...we're also trying to get together and see if we can do something more proactive, so let me know if you're interested in being involved.

Thanks!

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/the-department-of-education-wa-abort-plans-to-introduce-a-4-000-school-fee-for-children-on-457-visas

Have you taken advice about applying for a real visa?

Why would the government care about a petition signed by a small amount of non voters? Sorry to point out the blatantly obvious here but if you cant vote they don't care. I think that a lot of 457 visa holders forget that it is a work permit they hold not a residency visa. They think they are emigrating sell up in the uk, ship their belongings and then complain when they get here. I can understand why they are doing this as there a lot of people employed on 457's and working for less money than locals would so they are making the visa less attractive as a reduction on people arriving here will help the jobless figures.

Guest littlesarah

I guess the assumption is that someone who has paid all costs associated with obtaining a PR visa,& waited as long as it can take to get said visa, is more likely to stay here indefinitely than someone who is sponsored by their employer.

I don't think one can compare Australia to the UAE; the two countries are completely different in many ways.

Not hijacking the 457 thread in any way, but I think the idea of a petition is probably a waste of time. You are working on the theory that the government cares about temporary visa holders. It reminds me of the demonising of every one who came on a student visa, and changing all the previous conditions, there was a great outcry, petitions even the odd demonstration, did the government care? absolutely not. I'm not unsympathetic, one of mine was on a student visa, and my daughter on a 457, just seen all the retrospective changes to visas since 2004 so have no illusions about immigration caring about anyone.

Guest The Pom Queen
Have you taken advice about applying for a real visa?

It sounds as though she doesn't want PR but is "being forced" to get it.

Why would the government care about a petition signed by a small amount of non voters? Sorry to point out the blatantly obvious here but if you cant vote they don't care. I think that a lot of 457 visa holders forget that it is a work permit they hold not a residency visa. They think they are emigrating sell up in the uk, ship their belongings and then complain when they get here. I can understand why they are doing this as there a lot of people employed on 457's and working for less money than locals would so they are making the visa less attractive as a reduction on people arriving here will help the jobless figures.

That's the point, it is merely a work permit, yet people think they have emigrated and sell up.

Australia is far more generous than other countries and you certainly wouldn't be getting reciprocal health cover in many of those - or even a work permit so easily to be honest.

Education is expensive and why should schools have to be constantly paying out of their own budget to provide extra services for temporary workpermit holders?

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly I have deleted your shameless plug for your FB group it has nothing to do with the petition and I have left the link for this.

I do feel sorry for you if this new law applies to current visa holders and not new applications (have they told us this is correct?)

However, as a citizen I currently pay around $4000 each for my children's education and have no qualms about paying it. If I was a guest in a country I wouldn't expect them to pay for my child's education. Can I ask if it bothers you this much would you not consider going home or committing to the country that has allowed you in.

The facebook group is not mine! Crikey, I just mentioned it because that's where the idea grew....so there was no 'shameless' plug, I joined it in the same way I joined this group.

OK so nobody supports this, fine, thought I'd give it a whirl.

Guest The Pom Queen
The facebook group is not mine! Crikey, I just mentioned it because that's where the idea grew....so there was no 'shameless' plug, I joined it in the same way I joined this group.

OK so nobody supports this, fine, thought I'd give it a whirl.

And as per forum rule no 12 and the sticky here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/feedback-announcements/140595-facebook-other-forum-links.html it has been deleted.

Dont take it personal, I'm sure many who are already here will support you and sign the petition. However, like you are entitled to your opinion others are as well. I really hope the petition works for you.

What a nice change - someone who is not moaning about what they cant get out of Australia because they are on a temp visa. I wish more people took note of the visa conditions.

It is frustrating as a 457 visa holder when you are subject to the same tax laws as everyone else yet don't receive the same benefits. We all knew it was a temp visa, all knew it came with restrictions. I didn't moan about it as my husband earned enough for us to afford a comfortable lifestyle and I knew before I came. To then arrive and have extra charges imposed must be a smack in the mouth. That isn't something people are thinking about when they apply for their visas. If we were still on a 457 we would have been looking at a $30k increase in expenditure per year if you factor in losing the LAFHA. That is unacceptable and not fair. When we came there were NO Australians who applied for the job my husband got. If we had returned to the UK the project would have struggled without what my husband did and in the long term in some industries Australia will lose out by forcing 457 visa holders out of the country.

The 457 holders are not subject to the same tax laws as everyone else, they are only taxed on Australian derived income. If I were on a 457 I would be several thousand $ a year better off.

That hasn't always been the case though, that is only a recent change and IMO probably doesn't affect as many as the new education charge will.

Other states charge for education costs. It was only a matter of time before WA came into line. I just hope the money actually finds it way into schools where it is needed.

I wonder how many of the parents supporting this cost saying it's needed in education pay their voluntary contributions. In the school I worked in for 3 years a good 75% of the parents that didn't pay their voluntary contributions were the English immigrants.

Guest The Pom Queen
Other states charge for education costs. It was only a matter of time before WA came into line. I just hope the money actually finds it way into schools where it is needed.

Queensland and Vic don't charge