Do you wear glasses?

BritChickx

The majority of vision problems are down to genetics. You are long or short sighted due to the shape and size of your eyes and your genes determine that. It is thought that lots of very close work as a child whilst the eyes are still growing can induce/worsen myopia, which is why people who study/read lots as a child/teen *tend* to be myopic, although of course genetics will still play a part.

You won't damage your eyes by using a computer, and you won't make them worse or better by wearing/not wearing glasses. The only people whose vision can be altered by wearing glasses, are children up to the age of seven or so, and even then we are influencing the visual cortex in the brain and helping that to develop correctly, rather than changing the eyes.

I'd like to believe you but I think time is going to tell a different story. Neither I or my wife had to wear glasses until we were in our 40's. Both kids have worked on computers at school and home, both have played video games and TV games and the eldest has had to get glasses at 23. The youngest is probably going to have the same problem around the same age.

I have a feeling that using screens close up and forever checking phones, tablets, working with computers and laptops is going to have a detrimental affect on the current generations eyes. Too early for statistics to be showing it yet but wait about 10 years.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't necessarily matter about what your parents were, genetics doesn't exactly work like that. Both of my parents have/had dark hair, and I am naturally blonde.

I think that rather than it being the technology per se, it is most likely the increase in close work that we do these days. We spend hours every day looking at close things, rather than looking in the distance, and we know for sure that that affects the eyes (hence my comment above about myopia and that people who do lots of close work *tend* to be myopic).

HA there's a specsavers ad at the bottom now lol

There are always Specsavers ads for me! My OH is one of their directors, and I worked for them as an optometrist for a number of years! Funnily enough, for me at the moment it is a company called Sneaking Duck advertising at the bottom - they apparently do bamboo spectacle frames.

I've got a volvo ad on mine now lol weird... anyway! what are you thinking of studying?

If I do go back, it will be something sciencey, but there are so many things that I am interested in, that it is hard for me to narrow it down! I am interested in biology, conservation, evolution, microbiology, medical stuff (although I wouldn't want to be a doctor or nurse or anything like that despite the fact that I would love the actual medical side of it), don't know really. There are too many things that I want to learn about!

I broke mine in half this morning and I can't afford new ones right now. :-( I am absolutely blind as a bat without them, so looks like the sellotape will be making an unwelcome return.

Oh dear! How much would they charge to fix. Have you tried those cheapo glasses from places like tesco. Im not sure how the prescription thing works but my dad tried a few till he found a pair that worked okay, think that was for a emergency too. Its awful when you break them, i got two new pairs then broke one within a week. Its still sitting there broke. Ring the opticians just incase its not as expensive as you think. Sellotape will be fine till you can fix x

I have awful eyesight and have no option but to wear glasses or contacts BOOOOO!! big thumbs down! I am due to collect my new glasses tomorrow - I hate wearing glasses, haven't had new ones in years and the ones I wore as a kid I hated! So I wear contacts all the time! I am hoping to like my new glasses to give my eyes a break but have considered laser....would only go somewhere like Harley though and its about £10k so would eat out of the OZ fund a lot....hope you find some glasses that suit you - take your best friend or partner they're normally better than anyone at helping xx

Oh dear! How much would they charge to fix. Have you tried those cheapo glasses from places like tesco. Im not sure how the prescription thing works but my dad tried a few till he found a pair that worked okay, think that was for a emergency too. Its awful when you break them, i got two new pairs then broke one within a week. Its still sitting there broke. Ring the opticians just incase its not as expensive as you think. Sellotape will be fine till you can fix x

I think I will Stacey. I don't think those non prescription ones from the sure market would be any good, I think there are all sorts of legal issues with driving without your prescription glasses. My Uncle soldered them back together for me which is cool, but they just can't be folded or adjusted now, they are completely rigid. I'll have the opticians a bell and see what they say, it's about time for an eye test anyway, so I'll get it all sorted when I get paid. :-) xx

I got my last specs at a Specsavers and they were no cheaper than getting them from an optician with frills, I will go for frills next time. The optician was good but the help in the shop was useless. I cannot see without my glasses and I had no help in selection and that is very difficult for me.

If the glasses are cheaper they will be cheaper everywhere is what I have found, it just really depends on lens that are required.

I am thinking of having laser surgery on my eyes as I am sick of glasses and contacts.

They can be so expensive, i paid over £250 for my two pairs, fair enough they were designer ones but i still got a deal on them, the rest of the money was to get the lenses thinned down. My eyesights that bad that i'd be wearing milk bottles lol, she said without thinning them down i would refuse to wear them. One pair lasted a few weeks before i broke them.. So they've sat like that for a really long time but going to see about getting them fixed next week rather than getting a new pair. Might try out some contacts while im there

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this is kind of a secret from my mum, I'm short sighted since for a long time now , and only my dad knows about it since yesterday. I can see things like close up, but stuff like writing on the whiteboard I can't see. (So yeah...I have bad eyes as you can say)

So, having this year to be my last year in High School, I'm planning to get glasses, but I was wondering 'If you start wearing glasses, will you need it to wear it all the time or will your vision goes from bad to worse if you don't wear from times to times? I'm only planning to wear glasses when I needed the most.

I would have gotten glasses ages ago but my mum keeps saying that if I wear glasses i'll look ugly and all. So I'm afraid that if tell my mum she will kill me and she will start complaining that none off her families on her side don't wear glasses at all. However it's surprising that most Asians around my age are wearing glasses, is there actually a reason why for that? (i'm also Asian just so you know)

What I'm told is that one needs to wear the glasses all the time. Why play with your eyes and make them have to accommodate all the time? You will only be ugly with glasses if you're ugly from the beginning. So your mum will kill you if you wear glasses? What kind of mother do you have??

Is that your actual address where it says 'Location' beneath your user name? I'd say remove it.

well, I went for an eye test on Friday .......long distance perfect but short /reading I need them. I knew something was wrong though hence why I went ,so on Wednesday I will become a glasses wearer for reading ........not bad after 46 yrs and 30 of those welding.....

Guys, Greetings from Pakistan! . I have been wearing glasses since i was 9, The number fell from -2.5 to double digits when i reached 17. Though it stopped once i turned 18. In may 2013, i've had enough of the glasses. So i went with the Lasik and it turned perfectly fine. Just a lil advice, use glasses or get lasik. DONOT use contact lenses ever, it kinda detoriate the cornea and hence reduces the chances of treating it with LASIK. In case you are wearing lenses on a regular basis, ditch them now and stick to glasses for atleast 5-6 months. Then go see your doc and he will declare you fit fine for the LASIK, cheers!

So i went with the Lasik and it turned perfectly fine

Shariq - does that mean you now have perfect vision at both close range for reading and long range for driving without the need for glasses under any circumstances? I'm still struggling with the idea that one operation can cure vision across the entire range and 'sort of' believe that you can cure short-sightedness with an operation to improve distance viewing, but will still need glasses for reading - in effect, swapping glasses for driving for glasses for reading.