Do you wear glasses?

BritChickx

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't feel like 'me' when i wear mine either. That probably sounds silly but glasses make me feel like a different person! And only adds insult to my face lol!!

I think my eyes are like -1.25 or -1.75 not sure but definitely not 2 just yet

I know how you feel. I hate mine always have. I feel so totally not me in them.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Seems I am short sighted too, my eyes went awol during the last couple of years (when I was about 26). I was reading a lot, also worked on the computer at my last job, eyes got tired and I rubbed them quite a bit. That + genes led to keratoconus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus ) + irregular astigmatism, I was diagnosed Nov. 2012. Had surgery on my left eye (worse one) twice: Dec. 2012 and March 2013. No big deal. Been wearing glasses for 6 months now and I picked some that I like. I got halos (quite like’em) but the photophobia which developed about 4 months ago is killing me in the morning!

I don’t think eyes and sight gets better with age, it’s quite the other way around. My cornea is thinning so I can’t have certain types of surgery, so Stacy I’d recommend thoroughly researching this and visiting a few doctors for opinions and recommendations. Try contact lenses as a first step. What was your diagnostic back then? Plain short sightedness? Take my advice, wear your glasses at least when you’re home, you make it worse if you squint!

@Rupert: On one of my early visits the doc threw in a number around -7 and I instantly said “Hold on a minute!” I knew I couldn’t get from great sight to that number. After more doctors I was correctly diagnosed.

Regarding what user hemzet said: there are GPL = gas permeable lenses, so that helps a lot. Let’s the eye “breathe” so to speak.

So to finish my story, keratoconus ends in (many cases?) cornea transplant, but all of the doctors whom I visited said that that should be done as late as possible in one’s life. (When people are older it’s not as likely that the new cornea will be rejected.) Does anybody else have KC? There’s a FB group on KC: "keratoconusGB"

I’d recommend at least a yearly visit to the doc (also for updating your diagnostic)! In the past 10 months I’ve been 8 times for checkups, surgery, etc.

Is anybody willing to share with us where they got laser surgery? Thanks! And thanks for starting this thread Stacy.

Edited by Levi

Crikey, that doesn't sound good Levi, hope it doesn't get so bad that you can't see properly at all.

I always wear my glasses at home, sometimes when i'm out but don't normally wear them out that much especially when on a night out with friends!

I think ill try contacts when i'm in aus, right now i'm saving as much as i can each week and contacts aren't a priority at the mo but it's definitely something i want to try.

I had my eyes tested last in february and plan on getting them tested every year rather than 2 years. When i picked up my new glasses i tried them on and they were massively distorted lol, i kept telling them it's not right but they didn't listen for ages until the optometrist came down himself and looked and was like 'oh, i accidently put a + instead of a - on your prescription....'

regular short sightedness as far as i know except my left eye is worse because its a different shape.

Edited by BritChickx
added a bit

Seems I am short sighted too, my eyes went awol during the last couple of years (when I was about 26). I was reading a lot, also worked on the computer at my last job, eyes got tired and I rubbed them quite a bit. That + genes led to keratoconus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus ) + irregular astigmatism, I was diagnosed Nov. 2012. Had surgery on my left eye (worse one) twice: Dec. 2012 and March 2013. No big deal. Been wearing glasses for 6 months now and I picked some that I like. I got halos (quite like’em) but the photophobia which developed about 4 months ago is killing me in the morning!

I don’t think eyes and sight gets better with age, it’s quite the other way around. My cornea is thinning so I can’t have certain types of surgery, so Stacy I’d recommend thoroughly researching this and visiting a few doctors for opinions and recommendations. Try contact lenses as a first step. What was your diagnostic back then? Plain short sightedness? Take my advice, wear your glasses at least when you’re home, you make it worse if you squint!

@Rupert: On one of my early visits the doc threw in a number around -7 and I instantly said “Hold on a minute!” I knew I couldn’t get from great sight to that number. After more doctors I was correctly diagnosed.

Regarding what user hemzet said: there are GPL = gas permeable lenses, so that helps a lot. Let’s the eye “breathe” so to speak.

So to finish my story, keratoconus ends in (many cases?) cornea transplant, but all of the doctors whom I visited said that that should be done as late as possible in one’s life. (When people are older it’s not as likely that the new cornea will be rejected.) Does anybody else have KC? There’s a FB group on KC:

I’d recommend at least a yearly visit to the doc (also for updating your diagnostic)! In the past 10 months I’ve been 8 times for checkups, surgery, etc.

Is anybody willing to share with us where they got laser surgery? Thanks! And thanks for starting this thread Stacy.

I have one of those horribly complicated conditions too that needs surgery..... Foster Fuchs /angioid streaks & a prescription of -16.25 :err: thank god for contact lenses!!! I'm able to have the intra ocular ones soon....not normally the squeamish type but the thought of scalpels in my eyes is errrm well a bit scary!

Edited by calNgary

I have worn glasses since I was 20, I used to hate them and went through the contact lense phase. I found that I could never see as well with contacts as I could with glasses so after spending a fortune on contacts I gave up on them. Instead, I started buying lots of different glasses. I buy 2 pairs every year and I usually buy frames that match particular outfits. My glasses are now more of an accessory and I have so many pairs its like deciding what jewellery to wear. Get yourself some nice specs and wear them with pride.

I've worn glasses for short sightedness since I was about 9. I hated them and lost a lot of self confidence because of it. It didn't help that my mum had a large say in which frames I got. When I was 15 my mum got me contacts which made a huge difference to my self confidence. I had soft lenses to start with and then when I hit my 20s I got fed up of the cleaning business so got daily disposables. After a while of that I was earning my own money and taking myself to the opticians so I bought myself some glasses with nice frames. At which point I no longer felt the need for contact lenses and started just wearing glasses and have worn them ever since.

My eyes are pretty bad -7 to -8 and they have kept getting worse as I've got older. I'm now getting to the stage where my close up vision is going (age) so pretty soon I will need varifocals or two pairs of glasses. For now though I just get myself a pair of glasses with nice frames and pay a small fortune for extra thin lenses. If you don't like glasses then try contacts, but still have glasses for before you put them in and in case your eyes get sore.

i well kinda need glasses........ lol

got a prescription when i was in the uk, i was told by the optician i needed them as i was bad with long distances.

and sure enough the glasses do make a difference at distances.

got out here, had a medical and the doc told me that the prescription is so slight i don't need it, and the optician must have seen me coming.

glad the raf paid for most of it!

worth wearing when i want to look windswept and interesting though. :wink:

I wear glasses and also have contacts however I do not wear the contacts much as its so easy to just pick up the glasses. I do however look at glasses as a fashion item and therefore think if possible its good to have a few different ones.

I have multifocals and I also have multifocal contacts.

As I am older I think glasses are better than contacts as they cover the lower eye area and also magnify the skin so it looks better and not so washed out as people who are older and don't wear glasses.

Find the frame that suits you, get a prescription buy frames on line just have to give them the prescription etc.

My daughter has started wearing glasses and they have not ruined her beautiful face and she does not feel self conscious about wearing them.

My Mum who is ancient had her cataracts removed and does not need glasses but still buys glasses as she is used to them and has very very nice rimless ones with decoration on the side bits.

I have worn glasses since I was 3 (I think) was born with some eye condition in the left so had surgery when I was 2 or something. I hate wearing glasses but my eyesight is really bad that I can barely see without them. I tried contacts a couple of times but got put off when we where on holiday in Florida and my contacts dried out and fell out!!! We had just got to disney as well so we had to leave as I couldn't see at all and my husband had to lead me the entire way back to the hotel!! I can laugh about it now. Lol. I asked about laser eye surgery but I can't get it as my eyesight is to bad I was too high a risk or something!

Guest littlesarah

I wear glasses pretty much all the time. I used to dislike them, but now I quite like them. I tried contacts, but the thought of getting dust in them at work made me think twice about abandoning my specs! And now the aircon in my current job makes them dry out too much. Plus I can just bung my glasses on & off at will.

My optometrist tells me that my distance vision will likely improve as age-related changes affect the muscles & I get closer to near-sightedness. Certainly, that's true of my mother, whose eyesight history is almost identical to mine.

Now I have a properly nerdy job, spectacles seem like the perfect accessory!

I started wearing glasses when I was 19, hated it, partially because they caused headaches, and switched to contacts. I`ve been wearing contacts ever since without any problem ( my friend at school couldn`t because she was getting frequent eye infections). I thought about laser surgery but one of my friends who is an ophthalmologist talked me out of it - it seems like one in every 1000 cases ends up with a permanent scarring of the cornea so you just have blurry vision for the rest of your life and there is nothing that can be done about it:eek:. I don`t even keep a spare pair of glasses anymore, I put my lenses in when I get up and take them out in the night before I go to bed . I`ve got the high-permeable ones, Accuvue Oasys.

We have a weird thing in my family where one pupil can blow up really big, and the other is pin prick small. (Looks weird) I noticed it in my son when he was four (Didn't even realise I do it myself). They said there was nothing wrong with doing that, but he was long sighted and had a squint. He wore glasses with a patch for a few years, and it fixed it and he doesn't have to wear glasses anymore.

I wear them for short sightedness. I used to wear soft contacts. I used to surf with contacts, so they are pretty good at staying in. (I did lose one rafting the Zambezi). I never liked them and always fine glasses more comfortable. I haven't had the courage to have mine lasered. Everyone I know who has had it done wears reading glasses, and has issues with dryness, and has a glowing aura just on their periphery. Maybe one day when it's been perfected.

I wear glasses and contacts..I prefer my glasses honestly..

Get laser treatment. BUT research, research, research. I had 2 friends that had it done in the UK and their lives changed for the better. It was amazing all the things they could clearly see, go snorkelling and swimming etc. I think surgery procedures have improved because when I wanted it I was told that you suffer from dry eyes and I already had dry eye syndrome.

Altho' my eyes have improved a lot, so still considering laser.

I, like Maruska pretty much put me lenses in when i get up and take them out when I go to bed. I used to wear glasses when I first got them age 11 but my mates took the P and I told my mam straight I wanted lenses....this was however in a time when geggz were a crime if you were trying to fit in. Since becoming all mature and not giving a hoot about what others think (and the fact hubby ratherrrrrr likes me in me geggz) Ive started to wear them a bit more often, get some lush ones now though dont you allsorts of funky ones. My daughters just got a fab pair of buddy holly style rayban sort of things and she totally carries them off. It still gets on me wick when they steam up and the fact I have to turn me head around like on the exorcist in order to see round the corner when Im driving...

Edited by jodipodi

Both hubby and I had laser treatment 20+years ago. We both still have good vision due to not having both eyes fixed perfectly. This was deliberate to allow for ageing and long sight developing. Never had an issue with our eyes being different from each other as the brain works it out and we both still have great vision without glasses in our 50s.

Never had dry eyes or any other side effects but we chose the surgeon carefully. At that time they didn't do both eyes at once either and the technique changed between each of my surgeries. The second was much easier and far less painful for the recovery.

This was at Optimax in Manchester UK. Not sure if they are still there now.

I had to start wearing glasses about 12 years ago when I realised that I couldn't read the credits at the end of a film...went off to the opticians who found that my eyesight wasn't good enough to drive home. I'm short sighted at about -2.5 in each eye and really struggled with glasses, always losing them or stepping on them (especially when doing DIY) and just hated driving with them....I was persuaded to try contacts about 6 years back (I really struggled at first, but once I'd got the knack, I could just pop them in and out when needed) and they were great for fixing distance viewing, still needed reading glasses though...

Best bit of all was about 4 years back when I went for an eye test and prescription renewal - the optician suggested that I just put one lens in my strongest eye (dead simple to figure that one out) and 'see how it went'. I asked all sort of questions, but he said that as long as I didn't have any headaches then its all good.

In short, I wear a lens in my (stronger) right eye which deals with distance vision and my other eye (without a lens) deals with close up computer/reading stuff - apparently the brain sorts it all out. Works well for me - no need for reading glasses - just use regular sunnies - just about the only time I might have a problem is where judging distance might be an issue (racket sports) - then I should really wear 2 lenses or glasses, but when you're as crap at squash as I am, then its a good excuse. Been skiing and snorkelling without issues - if your eyes are equally bad but stable, might be worth a go, but check with your optician first...

Edited by TerryDXB

I'm all good, I got glasses without rims on the sides and on the bottom.

@Freesia: don't worry about the surgery, science has evolved, there's local anesthesia and you don't feel a thing. Do expect mild pain for 6-8 hours after the surgery. I had a pair of these implanted in my left eye: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrastromal_corneal_ring_segments Just look at the picture. I know I can't have LASIK surgery because my cornea is already thin, and definitely does not need more thinning. So just research and pick a good doctor.