what gets checked for visa medicals?

vickyplum

Hi all

Suddenly dawned on me that I might have problems with visa health check, if I get that far into the process (309/100). What do they check for and what could get me delayed/stopped from having a visa granted?

I have high BMI and borderline high blood pressure. Both of which can be fixed given time, but cannot help but worry...! I have no other health issues/have never been in hospital (touches wood) and am not on medication for anything.

Thanks

-VP

Blood pressure, height, weight, eye sight, ear check (look inside, not hearing test), chest X-ray, blood test for HIV, urine for diabetes, chat with dr to discuss any previous medical history, they are also ascertaining cognitive competency (which is a box they tick in form), reflexes, that's about it if I recall.

Hi. It depends on your visa type. For mine 457 I had a panel of bloods, chest X-ray, urine, and full physical exam including height and weight. Very cursory to be honest.

What is your bmi? (If you don't mind me asking?) if it is just overweight you should be fine. They might question it if your bmi is >30. My bmi was underweight and the doctor told me that have to refer on anyone whose bmi is out with normal (18.5-25), unless they can be convinced there is no negative consequence on health.

Hi all

Suddenly dawned on me that I might have problems with visa health check, if I get that far into the process (309/100). What do they check for and what could get me delayed/stopped from having a visa granted?

I have high BMI and borderline high blood pressure. Both of which can be fixed given time, but cannot help but worry...! I have no other health issues/have never been in hospital (touches wood) and am not on medication for anything.

Thanks

-VP

Once your application is in its a matter of course to do your medical and police check a few months later. Don't view it as 'if' but 'when' is where I would go out from. With this in mind I'd say not to panic overly. If your BP is related to being overweight, try to do what you can in the meantime to improve things. If you are on medication for anything, ensure you take your meds and if possible a letter from your GP about it (if you are that concerned or if its really high).

Plenty of people with a high BMI have been granted a visa if reading this forum is anything to go by.

I took my partner medical back in April and it was all the things above as said. Weight, height, BP, bloods for HIV, chest X ray, urine dip, general health check, eyes, ears, throat etc. Reflexes also. O and vision, had to read the board. And had to give my medical history as he asked for it.

My BMI was recorded as above normal and I had some other health matters. I handed my panel doc a heap of consultant notes and letters to sift through so he could complete the on screen form and he took what he needed from the info I gave him. I got given an A rating and it was referred as a matter of course. My visa was granted a week or two back now without any further information or tests required medical wise.

Chances are your medical will be referred if you have a higher BMI or your BP is high. All being well though it won't be a problem and your case will be assessed as not going to cost Aus mucho $$$ within the next X amount of years.

@snifter - thank you for taking the time to reply in such a comprehensive manner; it's appreciated.

As you say, I can get to work on more exercise/less food, as it will be a good few months before I am asked to do the medical, as visa application not yet submitted but nearly done, so this will be a good goal to work towards. I reckon if I get my a*rse into gear, I can lessen the problem quite significantly!

Don t worry about anything think they only looking for nasty things that are going to cost them in health care, and that you are fit for work I suffer from gout and I,m a big bloke to, so was a bit worried about medicals, told the doctor everything he asked for and he did all the checks, visa got granted so all was ok but the wait for it to be granted was a bit nerve racking