457 holders to pay education fees in WA

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, they are really cracking down arent they, visa fee increases too...harder and harder to get in..is that a good thing or a bad thing? Do they want to cut the numbers because of the supposed downturn? Whatever it is a lot less people will come now...I know we wouldnt have been able to afford school fees but would probably have waited and gone for the 176 straight away. I imagine people with very little capital are not really going to manage this now...Im so glad we got here when we did...

I think it will deter people. If you are a family with a couple of kids arriving on the Perth average wage, it is over 10% of gross income gone. I would not be surprised if they are trying to deter people. In the jobs figures today, there have only been 6000 new full time jobs created in the last 12 months. But the population has increased 68000.

I think it will deter people. If you are a family with a couple of kids arriving on the Perth average wage, it is over 10% of gross income gone. I would not be surprised if they are trying to deter people. In the jobs figures today, there have only been 6000 new full time jobs created in the last 12 months. But the population has increased 68000.

Why would they pay 10% of their incomes in school fees, private ones can be far less than that so is it goi g to be dearer to send them to state school then? How is $4000 10%

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Why would they pay 10% of their incomes in school fees, private ones can be far less than that so is it goi g to be dearer to send them to state school then? How is $4000 10%

Because, the average wage is about $80k. With two kids at $4k each, that is 10% of gross.

Ah OK that makes sense although I suspect there aren't many families with 2 adults on only $80,000 but I may be wrong .

Actualy, I think you would be surprised. I have been looking at the job pages recently to help out mates that are desperate. A huge amount of the jobs are in the 50-70k mark. I had several 457 guys who I had to let go this year on that sort of figure. And that is in mining.

THAT WILL BE 16,000 FOR US TO PAY NEXT JANUARY. there will be a lot of people in WA who will leave because of this plus the increase (again) of visa costs from september. We arrived here at the beginning of the year and had researched private schools but we couldn't afford them so it seems very unfair for the government to change the goalposts like this and charge people like this. These fees plus the costs of a visa for a family of 6 will be up on 30,000. Serious decisions will have to be made.

Perhaps that's what the Government wants, to easily " get rid " of people they just don't need anymore. That was after all what the 457 was designed for wasn't it? Horrible situation to be in but I don't reckon that visa should ever be given to those with children, too much of a risk IMO .

I guess the 457 was always seen as an easier stepping stone to getting PR.

But it's true, for some people the increase in fees will be an absolute game changer. Especially if they are unable to change to another visa type pretty quick.

Will wait to see what happens in Queensland. DH's company have told us they will sponsor us for PR in March so fingers crossed that, if it is brought in in QLD, it is only for the 1 year for us. We only have 1 in school at the moment but if we had 2 or 3 and couldn't afford it, then I would consider home-schooling for a short time.

Good point. Do the schools keep a record of all the visas people are on?

Well I know we had to show our visas when we applied at the school. I'm sure they do keep a record. I can't imagine the worry we would have faced itf that was introduced while we were on a 457. Is it per child? What if you have no chance of PR for a set time and 3 kids!! It would have sent us back to the UK, we wouldnt have had much choice...but then that costs money too...rock and a hard place...feel bad for those affected but maybe the Govt will havce a subsidy plan for existing visa holders..i would expect so..

We did our research to the pros and cons to this visa and whether we could make it work - we knew everything there was to know. But you can't possibly factor in this kind of stuff - as someone said a family with 4 children having to pay an extra $16,000 a year. It has all become just a political showpiece that completely disregards how it affects people who, on the whole, benefit the Australian economy a great deal.