Healthy Eating

HappyHeart

I usually start well but it goes to pot when I get in starving after work...Monday I had porrige made with Hilo milk and strawberries, a banana mid morning, a small salad with lamb left over from Sunday for lunch, a health muffin made by friend for mid afternoon, not sure what was in it but tasted good for me...got in....large glass of wine, remainder of bag of Doritos, 3 slices of pizza with extra bits put on, chocolate cake and cream....oh dear.

Just get yerself 4 pasties for a quid,same calories......

Bedtime now,early one

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest littlesarah
Great post, judging by the amount of response I'd say very relevant & a topic that's of interest to many. I just wish someone would be able to come up with 'the best diet to suit all', never gonna happen though with all the various food allergies & intolerances that are about these days. I reckon the way in which food is processed nowadays has a lot to play in that.

I recently made an appointment with a dietician in the hope that she could provide a 'meal plan' for me to stick to, I eat healthily for the most part (or what I believe to be healthy!) but I also indulge on junk food whenever it takes my fancy. I find the trouble being that there is too much conflicting advice on what is good/bad foods. We've been told for as long as I can remember to eat lots of fruit & veg, 5-a-day being the recommended intake. But with low GI...there is too much sugar in fruit. Too many carrots can be carcinogenic, legumes are good, legumes are bad...olive oil is healthy /olive oil is fatty & should be avoided. Eat more fish, eat less red meat, avoid too much omega 3 & mercury found in fish...what the hell is right?? Can't win. I have long suspected I have coeliacs, so I cut down on white bread (or rather I cut it out completely) don't enjoy white pasta, rice etc...I don't really enjoy pastries & too much wheat & I reckon that's because subconsciously I'm aware of the IBS symptoms that ensue when I eat such foods. That being said, I can't resist the odd cake & if I crave bread (rarely) I have it. I have probably reduced my gluten intake without even trying but still get enough via other foodstuffs & snacks, therefore still suffer symptoms of IBS. The dietician has told me that it's essential to have coeliacs disease confirmed/denied as if I am infact coeliacs it's hazardous to my health & linked to other health problems including lymphoma as my lovely doctor colleague pointed out! I have also been diagnosed with endometriosis & would very much like to avoid further surgery & have learned that inflammatory diet contributes to endometriosis...which includes dairy, gluten, red meat & meats containing added hormones or estrogens, kinda fits in with my intolerance of wheat products so I guess we really are what we eat!! I was advised that paleo is the way forward but there's a lot of red meat in that too & that reaks havock on the GI tract. WTF am I supposed to eat!? When it's too much to think about that's when I reach for convenience foods & am back at square 1. If anyone has a lovely menu of non dairy, red meat, gluten, low sodium, low sugar I'd love for you to share it!!

I think you need to be tested for coeliac disease before you start working with the dietitian - if you have that condition you will need to find a way to get all the nutrients you need from the foods you can eat. Not everyone who is intolerant of wheaten/gluten has coelicac, but without a confirmed diagnosis whatever you're doing is stabbing in the dark, really.

It's also important to remember that not all food 'advice' comes from those who use the evidence that we have. As far as mercury in fish is concerned, it's not all fish species, and there are maximum recommended amounts - it's mainly pregnant women who are advised not to eat such fish every day (because the toxicity level for an embryo/foetus would be significantly lower than for an adult, and there are particular risks associated with exposure to some chemicals very early on when the nervous system is developing). The concept of 'leaky gut syndrome' is still not entirely clearly defined and there isn't a good deal of evidence to support it and the claimed effects it has, so anything you read about that would, in my view, be best interpreted with caution.

The problem is that many people who have had success in one way or another with a diet and/or lifestyle become evangelical in promoting it; particularly it seems those choices for which there is minimal scientific evidence and a whole lot of people selling various products and services! It appears to me that the average person lacks the understanding required to question and evaluate claims that are made, particularly where a plausible but pseudo-scientific explanation is given that seems plausible (but is based on a faulty premise).

I think you need to be tested for coeliac disease before you start working with the dietitian - if you have that condition you will need to find a way to get all the nutrients you need from the foods you can eat. Not everyone who is intolerant of wheaten/gluten has coelicac, but without a confirmed diagnosis whatever you're doing is stabbing in the dark.

The dietician has recommended I eat enough gluten (equivalent of up to 4 slice of white bread per day) for at least 6 weeks in order to avoid a false negative test for coeliacs disease. At the moment I have other issues therefore not willing to increase amount of wheat I currently eat in order to test. I'll worry about that later. Coeliacs disease isn't my greatest concern, there are plenty of alternative substitutes out there for me to work with until such times if I choose to test. I see absolutely no harm in appointing a dietician/nutritionist for nutritional advice. In fact, id expect their knowledge to be highly beneficial to any alteration of diet. Except she didn't offer me much advice that I didn't already know. My requirements are individual, and this is an area you would think a dietician if anyone, should be able to help with. I attended a dietician to provide me with ideas on what to eat, excluding food stuffs I dislike &/need to avoid due to current medication, of course the dietician isn't going to treat me as coeliacs w/o a diagnosis, but she's hardly likely to insist I eat something I don't like.

I realise the omega 3 limit, & mercury warnings are specific to pregnancy I was merely pointing out that their are many different foods promoted and excluded making it difficult for anyone, including myself to know what is appropriate to eat or not. Furthermore, given that i am trying to conceive, I try to pay attention to such warnings.

I'm a bit like Hoff. Never worried about what I eat and how much, don't put on weight and just had a checkup at the docs and everything is OK. Cholesterol hovers around 6 or something he always says it's too high but it's been like that for years. I went once and he said it had gone down to 5 and to keep up what I had been doing. I had just returned from a work trip and had been out every night eating loads and not exercising so don't know what went off there.

I don't eat fast food very often though. Maccas, hungry jacks and the like just don't do it for me. Not that I don't like them but I feel hungry again about an hour after having them. The burgers are never as big and good as they look in the ads. My wife cooks nearly every night and when she doesn't or I'm off work I will make something. She is on a diet and sticks to it pretty well. She makes good stuff for me and the kids too and lots of it.

Also like deserts. Steamed puddings and cream and/or custard. Have taken to buying the chocolate muffins from IGA, whack them in the microwave for 20 secs, cream and blackcurrant pure over the top. Me and the kids love them.:cool:

Guest littlesarah
The dietician has recommended I eat enough gluten (equivalent of up to 4 slice of white bread per day) for at least 6 weeks in order to avoid a false negative test for coeliacs disease. At the moment I have other issues therefore not willing to increase amount of wheat I currently eat in order to test. I'll worry about that later. Coeliacs disease isn't my greatest concern, there are plenty of alternative substitutes out there for me to work with until such times if I choose to test. I see absolutely no harm in appointing a dietician/nutritionist for nutritional advice. In fact, id expect their knowledge to be highly beneficial to any alteration of diet. Except she didn't offer me much advice that I didn't already know. My requirements are individual, and this is an area you would think a dietician if anyone, should be able to help with. I attended a dietician to provide me with ideas on what to eat, excluding food stuffs I dislike &/need to avoid due to current medication, of course the dietician isn't going to treat me as coeliacs w/o a diagnosis, but she's hardly likely to insist I eat something I don't like.

I realise the omega 3 limit, & mercury warnings are specific to pregnancy I was merely pointing out that their are many different foods promoted and excluded making it difficult for anyone, including myself to know what is appropriate to eat or not. Furthermore, given that i am trying to conceive, I try to pay attention to such warnings.

I didn't express myself very well, unfortunately, I just meant that if you know what the problem is, it's a lot easier to come up with a management plan that will be effective and ensure you receive all of the nutrition you need. I was also just trying to say that some of the 'information' that is publicly available and reported on isn't always based on a sound scientific understanding of nutrition, and I quite agree that a registered dietitian should be able to provide a person with evidence-based advice and information. As in many things, being educated yourself is the biggest help of all, which it sounds like you are. I hope you find a solution to your problems soon.

Guest littlesarah
Didn't do well at all yesterday, muesli for breakfast, cup a soup and ritz crackers for lunch, white choc and rasberry muffin late afternoon, bread, cheese, mini pastie, hummus, carrot sticks and salad for dinner followed by chocolate!:(

Sounds like the perfect day's food!!

I had 2 pieces of toast + marmalade for brekkie, breakfast biscuits for morning tea, salad for lunch (but couldn't stomach the salmon I was intending to have with it), 4 pieces of licorice (contains iron, that's how I'm justifying it!), and then the only thing I could face for dinner was a boiled egg with toast followed by apple and raspberry crumble. Not really a very good day for me, either - by the time I got home I was exhausted after supervising students in clinic all day, and the thought of the chicken dinner I was going to make just did not appeal. Hopefully I'll feel better today and will manage to eat something a bit more nutritious.

6 Rounds of proper cut bread thick toast for brekkie,with proper butter obv:notworthy:,Mackerel with 4 rounds of proper thick bread and butter for dinner(yeah dinner:mad:,school?="Dinner" ladiesicon3.png:smile:)

Pie and chips driving home from work for me tea,thats part of the reason i only like Auto's,because me left mitt always has something in it:wideeyed::huh:

Like!:no:a pie or a pasty,or a bifter,mug of tea etc,tend to eat chips every other Friday or something,not fussed on them much tbh,good stodge to line the stomach before a good drink tho,so im thinking of me health/body at least:wubclub:

#And,the omega 3 oil in the mackerel cancels any bad stuff out,its a no brainer,eat oily Fish,have all the vices yer want,aces!#icon1.pngicon12.png

6 Rounds of proper cut bread thick toast for brekkie,with proper butter obv:notworthy:,Mackerel with 4 rounds of proper thick bread and butter for dinner(yeah dinner:mad:,school?="Dinner" ladiesicon3.png:smile:)

Pie and chips driving home from work for me tea,thats part of the reason i only like Auto's,because me left mitt always has something in it:wideeyed::huh:

Like!:no:a pie or a pasty,or a bifter,mug of tea etc,tend to eat chips every other Friday or something,not fussed on them much tbh,good stodge to line the stomach before a good drink tho,so im thinking of me health/body at least:wubclub:

#And,the omega 3 oil in the mackerel cancels any bad stuff out,its a no brainer,eat oily Fish,have all the vices yer want,aces!#icon1.pngicon12.png

Tea tomorrow; fillet of mackerel, the real stuff, that is.

Cheeky013.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

I've never seen anyone put away so much bread...I practically had to bribe him into letting me have half a one of his massive turkish bread rolls for my lunch..'thats not enough food' he whined, its about your days worth of cals in bread alone!! Fill up on veg and salad...thinks he's doing well if he has a banana and a glass of orange juice:eek:

You have to eat unrefined carbs though and in moderation...no white bread!! Devils food! Wholegrain stuff...with lean protein...beans etc...what about cous cous sald or chicken salad or tuna salad...lol thats what I have when Im being careful ( every day) Boiled eggs are brill...fill you up...a piece of bread just gives you a sugar rush and leaves you stodged. Wholewheat cereals..theyre good for snacks..popcorns good...you can eat loads for about ten cal:)

Ive started having fish during the week tho:wubclub:,salmon,Mackerel,Cod and pasta,salmon and mash,love mash me,thats more carbs tho isnt it?:wideeyed:

Nothing fancy,cba doing fancy stuff for meself,especially after a hard day on site,it might be fresh Salmon,or for ease i might just have tinned,heat some Pasta,drizzle a bit of Olive oil on it,bit of Dill Sauce and Pasta seasoning,some mushrooms

So i have tried to cut down on the red meat a bit:cute: