Healthy Eating

HappyHeart

We used to be terrible at weekends, crisps, wine, spring rolls, onion rings, anything we could put in the oven quickly, I can't eat like that and not put weight on though, I lost a lot last year so want to keep it off. Having some kettle chips with my wine tonight though, outside having a Barbie, firepit lit. Having Lamb koftas and salad, corn cobs and roast capsicum so not too bad

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malcs a good cook although I have to twist his arm mostly to do it! He just makes such a mess though lol!

I clean as i go tbh,much easier than a mountain of dishes at the end,same when doing a fry up,much easier to clean cooker down as soon as yer finish instead of leaving it,got a dishwasher here,dont know why i bought it,hardly use it,have to start methinks!

I'm not sure on the grain issue...good or bad? We eat a lot of oats, wholemeal or wholegrain bread, rice...can't abide Brown rice or pasta though so stick to white, bad I know. I make a lot of my own biscuits and slices. We drink pure unsweetened fruit juice. I don't ban tomato sauce as I know its a way to get tomatoes into my son, I buy reduced salt and sugar ones. I do buy sweetened things like diet yoghurt for me and I use sweetener in my tea...

Wheat are not good. Approx 85 % of people wheat intolerant. Causing inflammation in your body.

Re fruits banana and citrus fruits are good. And the ones with honey seed such as peach apricot and plum. Also berries.

Vegetable oil is not good. Any oil which is liquid and never goes solid is bad for you :))

Wheat are not good. Approx 85 % of people wheat intolerant. Causing inflammation in your body.

Re fruits banana and citrus fruits are good. And the ones with honey seed such as peach apricot and plum. Also berries.

Vegetable oil is not good. Any oil which is liquid and never goes solid is bad for you :))

wheres that info from chubbs?

Guest Guest26012
Big argument in my house and one I'm always going to lose , because my OH and DS eat crap, practically everyday and are slim and healthy and I eat healthily the vast majority of the time and am overweight! :mad:

Dont they just make you sick lol!

I used to be an 'average' sort of eater if that makes sense?.....lots of homemade meals, the good old roast dinners, shepherds pies, homemade curries, sarnies for lunch, jacket tatties, fish fingers n chips for the kids if they fancied it, that sort of thing a takeaway and a bar of chocolate now and again.......over the years my weight sky rocketed and I have suffered with IBS since as long as I can remember. I decided to take action in April after I was told my cholesterol was on the up and slowly learned that the things we are often made to believe are 'healthier' aren't always necessarily good for us such as 'low fat' options and the stuff that we are often made to believe are bad like fats aren't necessarily bad.....its about putting good stuff in to feel good, I think we all know that bit though. We are told wheat, dairy and wholegrain are good for us but they can produce inflammatory reactions (as in my IBS) and often the low fat options are a chemical sh*t storm in a tub.

I have chosen like Chubb, to lean toward good 'as it was intended' food that doesn't come with a massive ingredient list...I try...(and I say try as Im realistic)...to eat a pretty much paleo/primal diet, I have cut out dairy and wheat/gluten the best I can (because it works for me to do this) and eat loads of good fats like nuts and fish, swapped my vegetable oil for good virgin olive or coconut oil and swapped my usual bar of Galaxy chocolate for dark 85%........I have lost 2 stone since April and my cholesterol is now normal. Coming from someone who has been overweight since I had my second child I tried weightwatchers, slimming world, starving myself and even illegal weight loss pills(!!!!) I can tell you this has been the easiest way and the quickest way to lose that excess weight and improve my health-there have been days over the last few years when my IBS has crippled me to the extent of being stuck on the sofa all day without being able to move.

I know we are all different but its really made me feel better inside and out and my IBS symptoms have almost disappeared, this alone for me is enough to tell me this is a good approach. I think you have to do what fits with your life and this fits me fine, the kids still like their kid things like cheerios and pizza and that's fair enough, kids will be kids and until they are mature enough to appreciate the benefits I cant force everything I eat on them...they draw the line at mackerel, spinach and nuts for brekky haha.....but I try to make meals from scratch as much as poss and I believe this is a major factor in health- good old 'as they were intended' meat n veg without the million and one added ingredients we cant pronounce :)

I look into some peoples trolleys and think..do you buy that every week?? Do you think you eat a healthy diet? I think most people nowadays have a basic undestanding of whats good and whats not...

I buy a lot of unprocessed food, I make my own chicken nuggets and fish bites for my youngest...wholemeal bread, milk, fish, eggs, lean meat, potatoes, veg, fruit, make my own biscuits and cakes...healthier than shop bought...lots of garlic and chilli in our food, oats..a superfood, broccoli..also a superfood, berries, bananas and oranges...

I see a lot of gimmicky stuff on the shelves, teddy bear biscuits, sugary dessets, breakfast cereals made almost entirely of sugar..whats that all about multi coloured brekkie...I only buy weetbix, oats and muesli.

I think we could be better...probably too much fat, love the feta and lamb....how healthy is your diet?

as long as they are happy.......if I saw someone nosing in my trolly , believe me they would be wearing it ...............

Guest littlesarah
Big argument in my house and one I'm always going to lose , because my OH and DS eat crap, practically everyday and are slim and healthy and I eat healthily the vast majority of the time and am overweight! :mad:

The thing to bear in mind is the phenomenon known as 'metabolically obese but normal weight' - those people whose fat is deposited around their organs, out of sight and out of mind. Not a problem you'd think, but the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes is around twice as high in these individuals (and the risk of metabolic syndrome is about 3 times higher) as those who deposit fat where it is more obvious (subcutaneously). They're the ones who appear very fit and healthy until they suddenly develop diabetes or heart disease, and then everyone is surprised...

Guest littlesarah

To be quite honest, last time I went shopping, anyone looking in my trolley may think all I live on is soft drink, snacks and frozen chicken schnitzel. Do I care? No, because what the person judging my groceries wouldn't know is that I'd already bought fruit and veg and other foods for the week, and I'd popped into the supermarket to buy a few bits and bobs for the weekend, drinks for when we next go out (I can't drink alcohol at the moment, and water gets a bit boring when it's all you drink); and the fact that at the moment I can only cook on those days on which I can handle the sight and smell of the relevant ingredients - so frozen chicken it is for the old man because that's something he can easily heat in the oven once I'm in bed, and we already have a freezer full of other things he can defrost when I'm just too over it. (Home made stuff mostly - I try to maximise my output on days when I'm not asleep at 7.00 p.m.)

Frankly, I don't care too much what other people eat - it's not really any of my business; and personally I'm getting rather tired of the 'self-righteous brigade' who tell us all that we should be following the diet that they believe most closely resembles what humans were 'designed' to eat. But I'm probably just sensitive after a weekend of being preached gluten-is-bad, dairy-is-bad, and "now you're pregnant you really should be eating organic food"...

:(( I was just interested! I don't judge anyone on their trolley.but I do find it intersting on the differences between what we all buy and eat that's all. Sorry if I offended anyone, looks like I did based in a few replies. Apologies. Eat what you like for all I care!

:(( I was just interested! I don't judge anyone on their trolley.but I do find it intersting on the differences between what we all buy and eat that's all. Sorry if I offended anyone, looks like I did based in a few replies. Apologies. Eat what you like for all I care!

Aw bless you, no offence taken here. I reckon it's fascinating too. And I must be honest of being guilty of judging others especially kids drinking full sugar drinks.

Guest littlesarah

I'm not offended.

Just a bit hypersensitive - listening to pseudo-scientific nonsense all weekend has left me short of patience, I think!

I don't think you'll get many people who openly admit to eating 'rubbish' all the time, because most of us know it's 'bad' and so often the food snobs have berated and castigated those of us who eat fast food occasionally, and who don't 'grow our own' and make everything we consume from scratch. At the moment, my diet is OK, but I keep having weird cravings and feeling sick at the thought of cooking so I openly admit that I've been eating more processed food that I would usually. But, my goodness, did I enjoy that Big Mac on Wednesday night!! :yes: (OH nearly fell over when I announced that I couldn't possibly eat chicken stir-fry and could only face a Big Mac and small fries :cute:)

I'm not offended.

Just a bit hypersensitive - listening to pseudo-scientific nonsense all weekend has left me short of patience, I think!

I don't think you'll get many people who openly admit to eating 'rubbish' all the time, because most of us know it's 'bad' and so often the food snobs have berated and castigated those of us who eat fast food occasionally, and who don't 'grow our own' and make everything we consume from scratch. At the moment, my diet is OK, but I keep having weird cravings and feeling sick at the thought of cooking so I openly admit that I've been eating more processed food that I would usually. But, my goodness, did I enjoy that Big Mac on Wednesday night!! :yes: (OH nearly fell over when I announced that I couldn't possibly eat chicken stir-fry and could only face a Big Mac and small fries :cute:)

I survived on Tomatoes and bottled water whist pregnant with my first. I even drank tomato juice ( bluergh!) the human body is a funny thing.

I try to eat well most of the time but not in a fanatical way, I buy fizzy drinks, sugar free but apparently sweeteners are akin to nicotine...I eat burgers and sausages and other processed meat...I love cake and sometimes substitute it for a proper lunch...my eating is determined by calorie intake really rather than preoccupation with health but I do draw the line at sugary crap full of additives masquerading as real food like a lot of cereals and ready meals

Guest littlesarah
I try to eat well most of the time but not in a fanatical way, I buy fizzy drinks, sugar free but apparently sweeteners are akin to nicotine...I eat burgers and sausages and other processed meat...I love cake and sometimes substitute it for a proper lunch...my eating is determined by calorie intake really rather than preoccupation with health but I do draw the line at sugary crap full of additives masquerading as real food like a lot of cereals and ready meals

Sounds like a sensible attitude to me. If I didn't work so much, I'd make more food myself - but having said that, baking is my favourite type of cooking, so I'd probably have a backside as big as Wales in no time!!

I survived on Tomatoes and bottled water whist pregnant with my first. I even drank tomato juice ( bluergh!) the human body is a funny thing.

It was bananas for me, with all of my pregnancies. I cannot stand bananas usually, but I could not get enough of them!

Guest littlesarah

The thing I cannot get my head around is that I've gone off tea. Never in my life have I gone so long without a cuppa. At first I still had one first thing, but for the last 3 weeks I've just been completely off it! Which of course my MIL told me is good (because, according to her these days black tea is not very good for you), until she saw me drinking a glass of Coke! Normally, I'd just laugh at her, but yesterday I nearly blew a gasket when she started on about what I should be eating. Still, I think my response may have been enough for her to lay off trying to tell me what to do (I'm 37 and work as a health scientist, so I think I've got a reasonable grasp of physiology and human nutrition, and can critically evaluate research)!