4 Years In Perth and what it, like living here , the pro's and con,s

Highland Laddie

My perfect Perth dream house would be in the Swan Valley or Margaret River region, I really like Cowaramup but I also like Bridgetown and places like that too...it'd be walking distance to the local brewery...keep your pommy pubs, the breweries here are awesome and gorgeous food, beer garden, live entertainment, sun! We'd be ten mins from the coast, no more, the house would be 2 or 3 bedrooms older and traditional, wood floors, verandas, lots of wood, big established garden with fruit trees, wood burner, lots of natural light, a bit of decking..I like decking, a spa bath outside...a village high street not too far away, bakery, craft shop etc etc...like Nannup if youve ever been...oooh lovely....I can dream....

Swan Valley is a lovey place to live Fiona !.... There are many days that I miss my house in The Vines. Seeing the 15 or so Roos on my property, sleeping in the sun on my patio. 5 minutes to the wineries and breweries. OMG, I am having a miss Perth day LOL.

Cheers

Karen

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scrumpy

OK, I think everyone agrees that Perth is expensive, and like you said there is alot of stuff about how good or bad it is etc.

Do all these different opinions relate to Perth, or Perth and surronding areas?

What Im getting at is that were comeing into Perth and then heading south as far as Bunbury (probably) and looking for a great place to live inbetween the two,

SO do most of the Perth related comments also apply to the town surrounding it, especially the ones South ??

yep agree, I think what gets me is now I appreciate what the uk had to offer having given it up, its those who advise others not to go back to the UK as its a sh*****e etc when thy have nothing to compare it with that tend to be a bugbear. I try to be even handed, at the moment despite what people say Perth IS bloody expensive

which is a pain, and I am aware of the problems are in the UK, a limp govt, and union backed opposition ( dont get me started on unions here ffs) here too I got on, got a job house car etc and made it work same as I had to in the UK, I encountered racism so know what being an immigrant is. Those who knock the uk immigrants will become one themselves here, they can then see and hear the ads for jobs for Australians only. Keep em coming tho Hoff, debate is good and I like to do so too, nothing is personal for sure just different temps of heated

:-)

Um, where is the creator of this thread???? Interesting. Bit like a Politician, stir up a hornets nest, then bugger off and sit back and watch it unfold. If they feel that strongly about Perth, where is their opinion/feedback on the OP now??? I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of keeping it going.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Um, where is the creator of this thread???? Interesting. Bit like a Politician, stir up a hornets nest, then bugger off and sit back and watch it unfold. If they feel that strongly about Perth, where is their opinion/feedback on the OP now??? I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of keeping it going.

I was thinking that myself, lol first post. :laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yeah exactly. Maybe their out enjoying the sunshine and throwing a few shrimps on the barbie? PMSL

Or decided to join in with the party next door, lol

I think that's really sad tbh! Money doesn't bring happiness IMO! Life's too short to be unhappy at all?

I'm with you, if i'm not happy I wouldn't just put up with it, although materialistic things have never been the root of my happiness

I'm dying to find out exactly which suburb he lives in, I asked someone this who wasn't happy there once before, but they wouldn't tell me because it was actually a nice place, I am sure there are some horrible places to live in Perth, like the thousands of drug riddled, crime ridden and high unemployed sink hole estates dotted all over the UK. So far no one has ever come up with one place, this might be it.

Don't live there myself, but Clarkson has a reputation as a hole.

Edited by Incata
Spelling - 'l' only occasionally works on my keyboard

Can't understand why anyone would want to actually live in ( as opposed to just visit) Perth. What's wrong with the Eastern States? I am also very surprised that after all these years it is still so backward. The population has grown, it is popular- so why doesn't it just catch up with the rest of the world? Lack of will? Local government? Why? I just don't get it. It is like a time warp but not in a good way.

We aren't on the East Coast because there is no work for my husband there. In Perth there is. There should be work for me as well, I am just struggling. If we went to the East Coast I may be able to get work (however, we thought that when we came to Perth), but he definitely would not. That's why we came here.

Edited by Incata
Wrong location in first sentence.

I agree on most points but I feel there are less work prospects here than in the UK

funny thing I noticed though is even though close to Asia, the flights cost the same as it would cost to fly from the UK so making Perth no more of an advantage (if you like holidaying in Asia)

Can't understand why anyone would want to actually live in ( as opposed to just visit) Perth. What's wrong with the Eastern States? I am also very surprised that after all these years it is still so backward. The population has grown, it is popular- so why doesn't it just catch up with the rest of the world? Lack of will? Local government? Why? I just don't get it. It is like a time warp but not in a good way.

I don't understand the comments about Perth being backward tbh. I've been here 21 years and never felt that, even when we first came. There's nothing wrong with some places over East either. I could have easily settled in Sydney or Brisbane at a push but I would have needed a lot more money in Sydney for an equivalent lifestyle and Brisbane is too far away from decent beaches.

I don't think it has any "catching up" to do at all, love it like it is. I'm not that bothered about Elizabeth Quay, they have loads of River frontage already that could be developed without the expense of creating more. Still not my call, Im sure it will be lovely when it's finished. When we first moved here Hillary's was like a ghost town at the weekends and they couldn't give the shops away on the boardwalk. Now it's packed at weekends. Still OK in the week though, I don't want Perth to "catch up" that much that everywhere is packed, you can't find a place to park and then have to queue up for everything. No, happy with Perth as it is thanks.

Clarkeson Mirrabooka, Brighton to name 3 nor, Cannington, sor

Perth is a snoozy place, a bit like the isle of wight. some of my pals have moved east and doing well. a couple moving back to townsville after trying it here

Tp me moving to the Eastern states wolf be like moving from uk to oz again, tho i have been invited to surfers paradise to check it out

Have to admit tho driving along West Coast Highway is always refreshing here in Perth. and the classic car scene here is great too, esp with prices beginning to drop

still have to agree with op about Perth, not really a happening place a friday night pub crawl may mean you be lucky to get into two bars

I wouldn't class any of those areas as run down and horrible. Wasn't too long ago that Brighton was being advertised on TV as a new suburb and last time I was there it didn't look run down at all.

Try a pub crawl in Perth, Freo or even Joondalup. There are just as many pubs in either of those (maybe not Joondalup yet) as any City in the UK. Where do you go for a pub crawl that has only two bars? Just means you've gone to the wrong place, even going to Hillary's would give you more choice than that.

I wouldn't class any of those areas as run down and horrible. Wasn't too long ago that Brighton was being advertised on TV as a new suburb and last time I was there it didn't look run down at all.

Try a pub crawl in Perth, Freo or even Joondalup. There are just as many pubs in either of those (maybe not Joondalup yet) as any City in the UK. Where do you go for a pub crawl that has only two bars? Just means you've gone to the wrong place, even going to Hillary's would give you more choice than that.

You Are joking ..!!

I don't understand the comments about Perth being backward tbh. I've been here 21 years and never felt that, even when we first came. There's nothing wrong with some places over East either. I could have easily settled in Sydney or Brisbane at a push but I would have needed a lot more money in Sydney for an equivalent lifestyle and Brisbane is too far away from decent beaches.

I don't think it has any "catching up" to do at all, love it like it is. I'm not that bothered about Elizabeth Quay, they have loads of River frontage already that could be developed without the expense of creating more. Still not my call, Im sure it will be lovely when it's finished. When we first moved here Hillary's was like a ghost town at the weekends and they couldn't give the shops away on the boardwalk. Now it's packed at weekends. Still OK in the week though, I don't want Perth to "catch up" that much that everywhere is packed, you can't find a place to park and then have to queue up for everything. No, happy with Perth as it is thanks.

Because you have lived here so long and it's so isolated you don't realise how more advanced other places are.

Because you have lived here so long and it's so isolated you don't realise how more advanced other places are.

I travel a lot with work mate. Go to Sydney, Bris, Townsville, Melbourne, Canberra, Toowoomba and a lot of other places. Been to Queensland, Sydney, Melbourne with the family on holiday. Isolated must suit me as I think Perth is the best out the lot of them.

Never had any intrest north of Watford... Don't care what there like. Will never go up there.

Nowhere in the world makes a stick of rock like Cleethorpes. It might be cold, wet and miserable, but at least you have something tasty to suck! The fish and chips aren't bad either.

I live 3 mins from hillarys, the burbs I described as poor are from personal experience whilst working, policemen friends and others including Aussie friends, but its your personal perspective so good for you and respect your views. I have lived all my life a couple of mins from the sea love hillarys but not every week too expensive now, but beach is great and Perth is changing, not always for the better and 10 years ago the freeway rush hour was about ten minutes, now the freeway is gridlocked from 6.30am weekdays. dark clouds today but when they break the sun and blue skies warm up nicely